Modify the H3-2D to Support Canon Point and Shoot

Reaction score
I've been lurking and doing research for weeks and searched this forum from end to end but could not find info.

I am a local home inspector in AZ looking to use a UAV to help me with doing roof inspections. I purchased an AR Drone at Christmas just to see what kind of issues would come up. What I need is more like a Phantom 2 or Vision. That said it looks like what I really need in particular is the Phantom 2 w/gimbal that would allow my camera to tilt and ZOOM.

In using the AR, w/WiFi, even with an extender I start getting video pixalization fairly quickly as I fly towards the back of a roof, I'm concerned about the WiFi video aspect of the Vision, and I can't zoom. I'm thinking I would be a lot better off with the 5.8Mh Phantom FPV.

I found the CHDK site, downloaded it to a Canon ELPH 300 HS, and can remotely control the shutter and zoom, in the case of the 300 HS that would be 5X optical zoom and image stabilization. I would also install FPV to a 7" screen on a tripod that would display what the 300 HS sees! all the time. Oh and I would need the DJI OSD module as well.

Appreciate that in my case I am generally taking still photos and then incorporating them into a PDF report with annotation! not really high resolution stuff.

So my question is what kind of tiltable, 2 axis gimbal could I mount under the Phantom 2 that would do the job?

In the case of the H3-2D, the GoPro weighs around 70 grams and my 300 HS. Weighs 120 wo/battery. I realize the H3-2D was designed specifically for the GoPro but the FC software appears to allow for gimbal adjustment. In the case of other after market gimbals there are servo adjustment procedures, why couldn't the H3-2D be adjusted for the 300 HS (120+ grams)? I realize no warranty, no guarantee, etc. but it seems doable?

I really like the idea of RTF and the DJI phantom 2 in particular. On other forums like multi copter they just tell me to build an F450 or 550 or others and use after market gimbals. Most after market gimbals are either GoPro or big heavy DSLR, seems like the H3-2D should be able to handle the 50 gram weight gain, what does anybody think??

If all you need to do are roof inspections, you could save yourself the expense and weight (=reduced flight time) of a gimbal, and just mount the camera so it's always pointing down.

I don't have a Zenmuse, but a 50g+ gain seems like a bit much for even a sturdier 2-axis gimbal designed for a gopro to handle. My Arris CM2000 is pretty resilient to weight changes such as when I add a filter to the gopro, but I doubt even this one would deal with what you're thinking of.

There are a number of small 2-axis gimbals marketed for "small sports cameras" in general, I haven't tried any of them though and I'm not sure if any that would hold your camera would also fit on the Phantom. But for just the specific purpose you stated, you might be complicating it more than necessary.

Yea it would not suprise me if I am over complicating it, I tend to super think it through.

I purchased a swivel mount for the HD camera on the front of the AR Drone for the reasons you mentioned. Thought I could angle it down slightly and fly over to the roof, fly back and forth and maybe drop down when I identified the need for a close-up shot. There was a significant ground effect as the drone got closer to the roof, or for instance as I was scanning across and passed over the edge of the roof.

Maybe its possible with say a soft mount, the camera aimed straight down, and the ability to zoom, realizing I'm shooting still, that might work. Its just that when you start zooming, any jello is going to be magnified thats why I figured I would need a gimbal. Also I tend to take perspective shots that would tend to be at a slight down angle and then fly say directly above the defect, look down, zoom and shoot, thus I saw the need for the RC tilt.

Understood, and you should definitely go with whatever solution fits your needs best.

I have seen several examples of people mounting small point-n-shoot cameras like that on the Phantom, but I don't think I've seen one used with a gimbal...hopefully someone else here has tried it at least.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers