Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mod to turn off the Red Lights?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by szobell, Jan 6, 2014.

1. szobell

Howdy! Has anyone done or seen a mod to turn off the Red Lights? I know, they are they for my help and safety, but I like taking night images from time to time and i really don't like the red-flare that i get on the corners of my image if I have my camera level. If i ever upgrade the controller, I'd love to be able to flip a switch to turn off the Red, otherwise, just a small switch on the PV I can throw just before i take off.

2. OI Photography

Never tried that, but I think it would be easier to just fabricate a small hood for the camera housing that kept the light out in the first place.

dhsprogis likes this.
  3. DrestonF1

Sometimes simplest is best. Take some painter's tape and cover them up for your nightly photo shoots. Either that or you take it all apart and disconnect the wire to the red LEDs.

4. BenDronePilot

I don't think it's such a great idea shutting any of the Phantom's lights off especially for night flying. You need to have a clean visual of the Phantom when you're flying. Maybe one of the other users suggestions of making some sort of hood to put around the top portion of the camera may help. Or if you must obscure any portion of the lights then just use some tape to cover just a few of the LEDs at the leading edge closest to the props.

dhsprogis likes this.
  5. Nvr2fst

I would do the switch.

6. Ksc

Ksc

they are integrated to the ESC. duct tape or blue painters tape to cover them is the best idea. I do it. Works great.

7. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

So... A switch ain't gonna get it done. Thanks for the input...

-slinger

8. Nvr2fst

I didn't recall they were integrated. Didn't even think of that. Just assumed they were planted on their own boards. Only took my first one apart to install Futaba transmitter. Never had a reason to dig any deeper since.

9. szobell

Good call on the painters tape. I was sooo busy thinking of "smart" idea as I passed the simple ones.

Tape it is!!!

dhsprogis likes this.
  10. iDrone

Submit your request & explanation to DJI directly or add it to the "Wish List" thread. I suspect it wouldn't be difficult for them to extinguish the forward NAV beacons for a sec whenever you snap a photo or a series, then come back on. I could see adding an item in the Camera Settings Menu to allow the pilot to enable/disable it.

iDrone

11. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be the perfect solution... good thinkin'

-slinger

12. drjay32

dhsprogis likes this.
  13. szobell

Awesome suggestion iDrone - i have just submitted it to the Wishlist.

I will be picking up some gaffer's tape in the meantime.

14. Slider

Another technique I have used successfully at night is to set the camera up so that it's pointing 10deg down (ie not vertically upright), can be adjusted in the setup before flight. Then using ATTI move find the wind direction in the area at the height you wish to film. With the wind information position your Phantom with the back to the wind then slowly reverse. As the Phantom tips backwards into the wind the red lights are no longer visible if you use Med or Narrow modes on the video.

Slider