MN drone flier gets $55K fine by FAA.

If you ask CASA for an ARN, you get it within a couple of days.
This is not a licence.
Since commercial flying is allowed with a Phantom and no licence, does it matter even if CASA wanted to define commercial flying to include uploading to Youtube?

After you get your ARN you will have no notify them of your intention to fly commercially then you will get this

Thank you for notifying CASA about your intention to fly a remotely piloted aircraft (drone) weighing fewer than two kilograms (sub-2kg) for hire or reward. This email is confirmation we have received your notification and have captured your supplied details, along with ARN information previously supplied.

You may be asked to produce this email if requested, so please keep a copy, either in digital or hardcopy format as a record of your submission.

RPAS Notification

CASA Notification ID: XXXX
ARN: XXX XXX XX
Notification Type: I am an individual notifying CASA of my intent to fly a sub 2kg RPA for hire or reward
Name: PHILLIP XXXXXXXX

Location details:

1. State: Queensland
Region: Queensland - Outback
2. State: Queensland
Region: Queensland - Outback
RPA Details:

1. Multi Rotor
You must now wait five business days, from receipt of this email, before you can fly commercially. We recommend you take this time to plan your operations, identifying potential risks and risk mitigation strategies. We also recommend practising flying in a safe location to become competent in operating and controlling the aircraft.

Acknowledgement of RPA Safety Requirements

1. I understand that when flying or operating a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA), I am required to comply with all applicable provisions of the Civil Aviation Act and the regulations.
  2. More specifically, I understand that I am required to comply with all provisions of Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998, which apply to the operation of RPA generally and in particular circumstances. Breach of these regulations may result in enforcement action being taken against me.
  3. I further understand that important guidance for the operation of RPA can be found in CASA Advisory Circular (AC) 101-10 – Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems – Operation of Excluded RPA and that I am familiar with the information contained in the current version of that circular.
If you will operate a 'very small' RPA for hire or reward outside of the standard operating conditions, you must obtain a remote pilot licence (and an RPA Operator's Certificate if you want to run your own company).

For more information please visit our website.

You can contact us for all RPA operational enquiries by:

If the information you have submitted for your notification is inaccurate then you must contact CASA via email on [email protected] to update your original submission, quoting the date you submitted your original notification, the CASA Notification ID and ARN.

If you ask CASA for an ARN, you get it within a couple of days.
This is not a licence.
Since commercial flying is allowed with a Phantom and no licence, does it matter even if CASA wanted to define commercial flying to include uploading to Youtube?

Where do you get your info that you can fly a Phantom commercially with no licence??

After you get your ARN you will have no notify them of your intention to fly commercially then you will get this.
Yes, Phil ... I've read the same website as you but I'm asking what any of this has to do with submitting your videos to Youtube.

Since CASA allow commercial flight with a Phantom without a licence, what does it matter if you submit your videos to Youtube (in the unlikely event that they could consider that commercial flying)?

Yes, Phil ... I've read the same website as you but I'm asking what any of this has to do with submitting your videos to Youtube.

Since CASA allow commercial flight with a Phantom without a licence, what does it matter if you submit your videos to Youtube (in the unlikely event that they could consider that commercial flying)?

If it's allowed why do I have the above email from CASA?

Exactly right but you still have to have an ARN and notify them before your first commercial flight as per the instructions on that page.
We're going round in circles here.
You don't need an RPA operator's certificate (ReOC), or a remote pilot licence (RePL)
You can fly a Phantom commercially in Australia without any licence.
So what does it matter if you submit your videos to Youtube (in the unlikely event that they could consider that commercial flying)?

We're going round in circles here.
You don't need an RPA operator's certificate (ReOC), or a remote pilot licence (RePL)
You can fly a Phantom commercially in Australia without any licence.
So what does it matter if you submit your videos to Youtube (in the unlikely event that they could consider that commercial flying)?

You're right - no licence.
The point I was trying to make is that you can't just buy a Phantom and legally fly "commercially" without notifying CASA.
If they consider you tube "commercial" you need the ARN and notification.

You're right - no licence.
The point I was trying to make is that you can't just buy a Phantom and legally fly "commercially" without notifying CASA.
If they consider you tube "commercial" you need the ARN and notification.

OK, I was seeing the same as Meta4, but after reading the brochure a couple times, watching the vid and re-reading the CASA rules, I think I'm getting it. Obtaining your ARN is much the same process as our FAA requirement to register for non-commercial flight, i.e., our hobby flying. A simple form filing. And as I see it, the advanced notice for commercial use isn't for every flight, it is a one-time notification (every two years) that you're intending to fly commercially and you have to do the notification five days before you start your first commercial flight. After the first commercial flight, no further notification necessary for two years. After two years then you have to go through the whole drill again. Is that correct? It's a bit confusing as written.

OK, I was seeing the same as Meta4, but after reading the brochure a couple times, watching the vid and re-reading the CASA rules, I think I'm getting it. Obtaining your ARN is much the same process as our FAA requirement to register for non-commercial flight, i.e., our hobby flying. A simple form filing. And as I see it, the advanced notice for commercial use isn't for every flight, it is a one-time notification (every two years) that you're intending to fly commercially and you have to do the notification five days before you start your first commercial flight. After the first commercial flight, no further notification necessary for two years. After two years then you have to go through the whole drill again. Is that correct? It's a bit confusing as written.

You got it.
It's free , easy and covers your a**e

You got it. It's free , easy and covers your a**e

Curious (genuinely) - how and what exactly does it cover one? (Aside from obvious compliance). I'm about to apply for ARN, not challenging it shouldn't be done - just not clear what it provides in practical terms for either party.

Curious (genuinely) - how and what exactly does it cover one? (Aside from obvious compliance). I'm about to apply for ARN, not challenging it shouldn't be done - just not clear what it provides in practical terms for either party.

Once you have your ARN you fill out the other form and you can legally fly commercially provided you follow the usual rules.
Without it they can fine you if flying for profit or they don't like your you tube uploads.

Reactions: Loz
I have my ARN and notified them of my intention to fly commercially and listed all the Victorian locations listed. I have no specific intent of making money out of my hobby, but if asked to shoot something for reward, I'm covered.

Ihj I'm of similar mindset, when you say listed locations, where did list come from - yourself, based on places you anticipate you may fly for reward? Or was there a list from CASA that you responded to, thanks

Suppose you did post a video of you doing something you shouldn't, what's the statute of limitations. If you wait and post the videos till after the statute has expired then it shouldn't matter cause it's to late to do anything. The reason I ask is because you may do something inadvertently and get a letter from the faa. If I can just wait till after the statute of limitations has expired then I shouldn't have to worry. Id like to post videos but I wouldn't like to be fined $55000 for doing so.

Ihj I'm of similar mindset, when you say listed locations, where did list come from - yourself, based on places you anticipate you may fly for reward? Or was there a list from CASA that you responded to, thanks

You tick the boxes on the CASA form. I just ticked everything in Victoria, as you never know...

It's just the next place you are flying at. Basically it's so CASA know who it was if someone complains OR something goes wrong on that first flight. I spent an hour on the phone with them about this, it's pretty basic and not complicated at all. No need to list every place you *may* fly at in the future.

It's just the next place you are flying at. Basically it's so CASA know who it was if someone complains OR something goes wrong on that first flight. I spent an hour on the phone with them about this, it's pretty basic and not complicated at all. No need to list every place you *may* fly at in the future.

They don't list my area and the closest thing was outback australia so they said just put that.
It's only for your first flight.

Suppose you did post a video of you doing something you shouldn't, what's the statute of limitations. If you wait and post the videos till after the statute has expired then it shouldn't matter cause it's to late to do anything. The reason I ask is because you may do something inadvertently and get a letter from the faa. If I can just wait till after the statute of limitations has expired then I shouldn't have to worry. Id like to post videos but I wouldn't like to be fined $55000 for doing so.

Isn't it 7 yrs for everything in the US apart from murder?
Would it start from the time of the offence or time of posting?

Isn't it 7 yrs for everything in the US apart from murder?
Would it start from the time of the offence or time of posting?

I know auto theft is like 2 or 3 years and the statute begins when you do the crime, not once they are made aware of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl