Missouri River Headwaters - Phantom 4 [4K UHD]

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Video shot on the DJI Phantom 4 in 4K UHD over the Missouri River headwaters at Headwaters State Park, MT, USA. Was great spring time weather in Montana with an absolutely gorgeous sunset! Headwaters State Park is a great place to visit if you are ever in the area and would like to see where the Missouri River, the longest river in North America at 2,341 miles (3,767 km), starts. Amazing to see it's rather humble beginnings in comparison to what it becomes. Had a great time talking to a Park Ranger while I was there, all about drones, 360 video, and VR. Was great to see him so into it. :)

Gear:

-Phantom 4
-Polar Pro Filters
-Nikon D3300
-Nikon 18-55mm Lens
-Nvidia Shield K1
-Adobe Premiere Pro

Music:

-"Scary All Over" (Creepy Remix)
-"Escape" Alaskan Tapes Ft. Nori

Let me know what you all think! Any and all comments, suggestions, or criticisms are very appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Stewkur,
First off let me say I like what you've done. It's good.
I live about 5 miles from the headwaters and film there myself. I know the area intimately so I can be critical and I'm trying to improve my skills. So here goes.
How many minutes of raw footage did you use to make your video? I noticed some repeat shots. Maybe not exactly the same angle or direction of flight but the same basic shot. Were these all clips from the same string edited into a different order? Or were they shot individually? Did you film anywhere else around here? If so I'd like to see it.
When were you here and where do you live? PM me if you ever come back and I'll give you the Cook's tour.

Stewkur,
First off let me say I like what you've done. It's good.
I live about 5 miles from the headwaters and film there myself. I know the area intimately so I can be critical and I'm trying to improve my skills. So here goes.
How many minutes of raw footage did you use to make your video? I noticed some repeat shots. Maybe not exactly the same angle or direction of flight but the same basic shot. Were these all clips from the same string edited into a different order? Or were they shot individually? Did you film anywhere else around here? If so I'd like to see it.
When were you here and where do you live? PM me if you ever come back and I'll give you the Cook's tour.

Hey, Mutterranch, glad you liked it! If you have any other questions or comments, please let me know! :)

Your questions:
  • The raw footage was about 35 minutes long and all of that was shot during the course of one visit. In this video you only see about 3 minutes of it as I edited out all the stuff that wasn't at the level I wanted for the video.
  • Would have loved to get more varied shots in the video but due to only having 2 batteries worth of flight time and a fair amount of throw away footage I wasn't able to get much more. Next time I'm there I definitely have some other things I want to shoot.
  • All the clips in the video were from two separate flights (battery #1 and battery #2) with the camera recording each flight from start to finish.
  • I usually start with a few "shots" in mind before take off and then after I get in the air I fly to each location, filming the whole time. Often though while I'm in the air I'll see something that I think'll be good as a sequence in the video and adhoc in a pan, pull back, or etc.
  • I've flown quite a bit around the valley and elsewhere in Southwest Montana but that was my first time flying at the Headwaters and the Three Forks area in general, so no other footage from there unfortunately. If you check my YouTube channel though or some of my other threads in this section of the forums, you'll see some of the other stuff I've uploaded. Got lots that I haven't uploaded yet as well. I'll link the stuff I've uploaded below.
  • I was at the Headwaters last Saturday, April 9th and I live in Bozeman! I'll def hit you up for that Cook's tour sometime.
Some other stuff I've done:

Overall, I'm trying my best to put out lots of videos like these in order to get better at my editing and to improve my flying ability, along with getting some feedback from people.
Then hopefully I'll be able to take all that gained knowledge and footage and put that towards a bigger project that encompasses something larger than an afternoon's worth of flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mutterranch
Very nice indeed

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Thanks for the compliments, Peterepeat69! If you have any questions, comments, or critiques, I'd welcome them. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.