Mission planning for orthophoto

I only LOL'd because we both posted the same link at the same time :)

Oh, okay, I had no idea why you lol'd. I only assumed that we all know that wikipedia is the always the most accurate. Thanks for clarifying. Fly high and fast, but safe.

So guys, all this apps work stable?
My concern is what if app crashes and aircraft is 1 or 2 KM away from home position? Will it continue mission, or RTH? I understand every app works different, thats why i am asking, to get first hand experiences, while i don't have any yet.

Litchi, will finish mission and then depending on your setting for last waypoint is up to you. I always end my missions within a short distance of my self, since litchi will finish the mission no problems with rth

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Only thing i don't like about Litchi is that i can't make a polygon/grid with waypoints inside. Any suggestion on how to make a grid outside of Litchi and then import as .csv or .kml without using any apple software?

It will import a kml so that is why I suggested created the grid in maps made easy and then import

When I say import, you have to use the mission hub on litchi's website

I know you suggested it, only i'm not sure where on maps made easy ti makes that .kml. On their website? I saw some option for making point estimate, but don't see any export option.

Just create a simple plan, once created look below map and you will see download options, try it.

LOL, now i see download options, sorry doing 7 things simultaneously :)

Thank you!

Reactions: JBG
Just checking out DroneDeploy, will let you know my opinion
I did some playing around with DroneDeploy and was impressed with how well it worked.
Here's a quick one I did for a 30 acre site
Screenshot_2015-10-20-12-23-56%5B1%5D-L.png

5X20a_Tallowood%20orthophoto-XL.jpg

Reactions: byrne68
So, i didn't actually try DroneDeploy, but i purchased Litchi this morning and went out to try it out a little bit.
I tried only GS option/mission planning and executing, because this is what i actually need. From what i have seen today it works pretty neat. It flew missions perfectly and did everything that it was supposed to. I like option to plan the mission in MissionHub and sync or transfer mission file to tablet/phone.

One thing that didn't work as it is supposed to is photo-auto triggering. It actually triggers every 3 seconds (as i fixed it), but it takes every other photo. Which is strange because i have tried this at home first and it worked well. Luckily there is similar option (time lapse intervals) which can be set from 2 seconds and upward, and that worked well. Sometimes it was hard to switch between auto trigger and intervals (time-lapse), but if you are persistent it will ultimately obey :)

What i didn't have time to try today is what happens when battery reaches safe RTH level as in GO app? Does Litchi give you same warning as Go app and flies back home if you din't cancel it, or just continues given mission?

If it cannot finish the mission it will stop the mission and rth, though you should never plan a mission that cuts it that close

Yup, i agree.

One more thing, Litchi worked really nice with Nexus 7 2012.

Reactions: JBG
I am interested in using gently curved, convergent, non-traditional mission plans with Litchi to a) mitigate the Structure-from-Motion systematic doming/dishing (elevation) error and b) benefit from a diversity of view perspectives. However, I have not tried Litchi yet; because I've heard about the limit of 99 waypoints. I have a kml file for the mission plan (a long narrow corridor in NM). Do you think Litchi will handle the mission plan shown in the attached image?

After looking at the planned flight and the legend of same; it appears you are flying in excess of 4 miles or so. But this mission is not simply a straight line from point A to point B and may require many passes/missions to complete the overall mission plan. There aren't many personal or hobby drones that will stay in the air for this distance and time. I own a DJI Phantom 3 Professional quadcopter, and this is the perspective from which I am basing my assumption. Possibly you have another type of UAV to use for this mission.

Concerning Litchi, I believe they have broken the barrier of 99 way points, but I'm not sure, nor by what number. Considering also the detail of your missioin (providing each of the dots are a way point), the setting up of the mission would be a daunting task using Litchi. At the cost of Litchi, however, it may be worth the expense just to try it. If it won't handle this detailed mission, at least you will know first hand. You would have to weigh the cost also of your time for the learning of the Litchi program, the mission setup and test flights. This task may require a more professional program for your particular needs.

I wish you good luck and a solution to your mission requirements.

NRJ

Thanks!
I just posted another example in response to your comments. Please check it out. Also, you can visit my website (www.immersivegeomaticssolutions.com) and look at "What we do" / "FODAR" / "Curved Flight Lines" to see other examples.

Your business, website, equipment, and what you do is very impressive. To answer your previous question; Would curved flight line missions from Litchi be of interest to you and/or others you may know? I am a drone hobbyist and enjoy the use of Litchi. I have found it easy and somewhat difficult depending on the difficulty of the mission I am attempting to set up. So, having used Litchi for my hobbyist style flights is why I responded to your thread.

I think that phantompilots.com is a great place to find people who may be interested in curved flight missions using litchi, but that will most likely be determined in other responses you receive from your inquiry. I wish you well in your Litchi endeavor should you choose the accept the mission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl