Missing rubber gimbal thingies?

Reaction score
I just noticed that my gimbal is held to the frame by only two of four clear plastic things. Should there be four? Here's a picture of where one is missing.

d71975aa4bfa1baf8e0040f2acddb07c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should only have two pins installed. I loosely attached a thin, plastic zip tie in the other two holes. The idea is that it won't allow the camera to release from the Phantom if the pins break off in a crash.

P3-ZipTie2.JPG

You only need 2. But if you want to install another 2, then I'll sell you mine for $40 a pair..

Some people install all four. It sometimes causes a jello effect in the video though.

Reactions: Droneted
Are the pins better then the zip ties? Honestly, I don't think that you need the pins at all because I want the little white shocks to be able to move freely and I think that the pins take away from that some, so I use zip ties adjusted loose to allow full vertical movement of the shocks.

Are the pins better then the zip ties?
No. You could use 4 zip ties too. I don't think it would give you different results than 2 pins and 2 zip ties though. The only real reason to use zip ties is that it makes it nearly impossible for the gimbal to separate from the Phantom.

Reactions: Reed L
I actually was having issues with horizon tilt and then one day upon inspecting the shocks I noticed that one of them (without the pin) had gotten compressed and was keeping the lower plate from moving freely. One new shock absorber later and the horizon tilt was fixed.

Some people install all four. It sometimes causes a jello effect in the video though.
I just bought a used p3 pro, and it had all 4 pins attached. I removed two of them. Your zip tie idea seems like a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I actually was having issues with horizon tilt and then one day upon inspecting the shocks I noticed that one of them (without the pin) had gotten compressed and was keeping the lower plate from moving freely. One new shock absorber later and the horizon tilt was fixed.
Man, I think I'm having that problem. Are you referring to one new rubber piece or the pins that you replaced?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should have extra pins and absorbers. Normally there's only 2 installed.

You should have extra pins and absorbers. Normally there's only 2 installed.

BTW, twine works too and would never transfer any vibration over the vibration isolators. Sometimes low tech is better.

I use hemp twine, and eh, we can fly higher than ever. Hahaha
Or just stick with regular "anti drop pins" and "vibration dampers".

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Excavator99
That eye condition must make VLOS difficult at the best of times for you... Best to have a spotter When ever you are flying high!! Hahaha... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Just the other day I wondered whether the IMU should be calibrated while the gimbal (not the legs or props) was level to fix the tilted horizon. ...but I guess those rubber dampers might soon be ~1° off-level again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj