Missing Phantom

jdawson said:
the fact you found your phantom! is the best news of the day!

Yup! It's a minor miracle.

jdawson said:
I think you should talk to DJI direct and get it replaced.

I'll probably do that soon. I updated the dealer on the situation this morning, and specifically stated that I wanted to return it to be checked out and repaired, or exchanged for a replacement. His response was a "I'll get back to you" thing. So you're right, it's probably time to escalate this.

If it were me, I'd be going down the list of dealers until I got one that will live up to the statement made by DJI. From what I understand, DJI is next to impossible to reach. They require us to take our support issues to the dealer. The dealers likely have a direct line and will probably get through before any of us. I think it's worth a shot. At least the dealers can be reached by phone. You could explain the situation, remind them of your knowledge of DJI's statement 'even if you didn't buy it there', and request they handle the case. Even if they have to check with DJI first, I'd say they will get priority just based on DJI's 'commitment' to support through the dealers. But that's just me...I hate resolving this kind of thing by email.

Sac D said:
dbrack said:
This is outstanding news! Congrats! I'm definitely going to get some sort of tracking gizmo.

I'll be getting a BLUtracker as soon as they are available.

Congrats on finding your Phantom.

I'd be leery of running the BLUtracker. Bluetooth operates at 2.4 Ghz spread spectrum. It could interfere with the communication with the Phantom. Some that build the larger model rockets use the Garmin Astro dog tracker. It has a range of 9 miles in direct line. Google (Garmin Astro rocket) for more info.

Hi guys, I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. Writing your contact details on your Phantom is certainly better than nothing and you just hope that the person finding it is a good person and gets in touch with you.

For more peace of mind, I'm really liking the idea of fitting a tracking device but the interference issue does play on my mind..! :( Having scan read some of the replies here, what do you guys think would be some decent devices to consider fitting?

Hey, I took one more shot today at repairing the corrupted mp4 file from my missing, lost, then found again Phantom. I finally managed to repair whatever was wrong with the file, and save the whole thing.

The camera cuts out before the landing... and from the looks of the final seconds that it did record, it was probably coincidence that it was later found upright on its feet, because the "landing" was more likely a crash high in a tall tree first.

http://youtu.be/X5k07c9_T0A

I've had a similar experience as you had in the start there.

My phantom just tilted to the side and throttled up. (was just next to a max with a small radiomast, suspecting interference.)
"Luckly" I were only at 1-2meter altitude, so my phantom rammed the ground.

Sac D said:
jdawson said:
Sorry I missed the part where you said all green before takeoff...

I am watching a lot of videos of people flying phantoms on-line and it is shocking how few wait to get full green before they go.

Joe

Oh, I know what you mean, Joe! Those videos make me wonder too. I'd like to think they edited it down to remove all the pre-flight footage, but some of them are clearly just firing it up and taking off. Maybe they need a good scare or two, that will give cause for more caution.

Wow!! This is some scary stuff. I can assure you all that in my two videos that I have posted, I did do a pre-flight check prior to starting to record. Nobody cares to see the boring stuff but I wait for the green light only to start flashing and I hate waiting but the thought of loosing my Phantom and my HERO3 Black Edition, would make me cry like a baby. :lol:

Mark P said:
Thanks, what I found out is unbelievable if true, I'm really surprised any of them fly at all in the cities, what I was told by someone that went through extensive testing of the Phantom to see if they wanted to sell them told me something and then it all became clear exactly what caused mine to crash and burn and also explains the 4-5 seconds of control and then going bonkers after it coming to me and then BOOM off again. I cant find anything that says anything about what I'm about to report.

I'm looking forward to seeing your findings.

Until you have had one bolt off at high speed at a crazy angle all on its own, either at startup or randomly during a normal flight... well, you can speculate all you like and blame it on pilot error. But there are too many of these happening now, and quite a few with seasoned, veteran flyers. DJI needs to be proactive on this, instead of ignoring the problem in hopes it will go away. If this was an automobile, they would have already started a recall campaign, providing a remedy and instructing the poor dealers who are taking all the heat so far.

Hey Sac, I was wondering if you were carrying any type of transmitter when your "Fly-A-Way" occurred? I think I saw someone else ask that elsewhere but I never got a clear answer! My Phantom was about 400 feet away from me when it just shot off to the left during a panning maneuver while filming and industrial complex. I tried everything in the book to get it under control and it didn't respond to anything, even killing the Xmitter. I got DJI to replace my IMU for free. But they wouldn't cover the motor that apparently got damaged in the subsequent collision with the terrain. I sort of got lucky that it flew into an area of higher terrain.
So, to research your incident.... How many flights had your Phantom completed before the incident? Had you checked the rotation of all of your motors? I found out that a tight spinning motor leads to uncontrollable flight. Many owners have stated the Phantoms went out of control due to a motor bearing failure, a common occurrence with the SILVER Phantom motors. And, we're you using stock props? Please let me know as I am trying to figure this out, too! Thanks, Chris

Hey Sac, just read the rest of your thread, and thank goodness you got her back! You said it was still acting funny? What did the calibration page say about the gyro/accel info? Mine had multiple errors prompting DJI to replace the IMU. But as I stated before, mine shot off the same exact way, but ran aground before going any higher. Also, my video of my incident started the exact same way! That makes me wonder, was one of your motors tighter than all the rest? I saw a video about a controller that could save a HEX A COPTER if ONE motor goes out. During filming, the hex acted the same way as ours did, but only momentarily, due to the recovery feature of the controller. PLEASE let me know the post-crash condition of your IMU and your motors! BTW, have you said or named your Phantom supplier?

Hi I have also lost my phantom today phantom got behind me and was very high looking at it in the monitor it didn't look that high so tried to push forward to bring it back to me but was not moving much due to head wind and was getting far away from me tried CL but didn't work then I lost video so hit home lock but no joy even turned off radio.
Nothing worked so it's gone and not sure we're it is but battery would have been low as had been flying for 8 mins I think is was up a 1000 feet high when lost signal.

Found my phantom 3 days after it was lost in a field 2500 feet away from we're I was, battery must of went dead and it just landed itself :D

Came across more clues to fly-aways. The camera and other sources of interference.

Here's a video showing how one GoPro camera affected the number of satellites on a Garmin, even when Wi-Fi was off. Turn on the camera - number of satellites goes down. Some GoPros affect satellites and some don't.
The test showing the camera affecting the number of satellites begins at 0:44.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMESqwBz9U

It was recommended to cover the GoPro with either tin foil or copper sheet foil to block interference. Some even line the bottom of the bird. Here are the templates.
http://www.hovership.com/2013/03/26/shielding-a-gopros-emi-rf-noise/

Sometimes the camera cable acts as a dipole antenna. Change its direction so the dipole effects don't interfere with GPS.
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/using-camera-wipes-out-gps-signal-entirely-confirmed

This site goes through sources of interference.
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-diagnosing-problems-using-logs/

Which led to learing how to read the telemetry and dataflash logs (of another brand) to diagnose problems.
It goes into:
  • Mechanical
    Vibration
    Compass interference:
    • Interference from the power distribution board, motors, battery, esc and other electrical devices near the APM or PX4 can throw off the compass heading
    GPS Glitches
    Power Problems
    Unexpected errors including failsafes:
    • Throttle failsafe,
      GPS failsafe,
      GCS (Ground Control Station) failsafe,
      Battery failsafe.
      Fence failsafe

For more details on compass interference:
  • Natural & artificial magnetic anomalies warning which distort the magnetic field in which I am flying.
    • What is the Safe distance for various objects and materials during compass calibration i.e. at 6" it includes metal rim glasses, metal watch band, etc.
    What increases the magnetic field thus increasing the interference?
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/automatic-compass-declination/

Also includes: What hardware changes can you make to reduce magnetic interference?
  • Placement
    Power Distribution Board
    Wires between the PDB, ESCs and battery as short as possible + other tips about wires.

I now have more ideas of what to do in order to avoid a fly-away.

FLGulf said:
Came across more clues to fly-aways. The camera and other sources of interference.

Here's a video showing how one GoPro camera affected the number of satellites on a Garmin, even when Wi-Fi was off. Turn on the camera - number of satellites goes down. Some GoPros affect satellites and some don't.
The test showing the camera affecting the number of satellites begins at 0:44.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cMESqwBz9U

It was recommended to cover the GoPro with either tin foil or copper sheet foil to block interference. Some even line the bottom of the bird. Here are the templates.
http://www.hovership.com/2013/03/26/shielding-a-gopros-emi-rf-noise/

Sometimes the camera cable acts as a dipole antenna. Change its direction so the dipole effects don't interfere with GPS.
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/using-camera-wipes-out-gps-signal-entirely-confirmed

This site goes through sources of interference.
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-diagnosing-problems-using-logs/

Which led to learing how to read the telemetry and dataflash logs (of another brand) to diagnose problems.
It goes into:
  • Mechanical
    Vibration
    Compass interference:
    • Interference from the power distribution board, motors, battery, esc and other electrical devices near the APM or PX4 can throw off the compass heading
    GPS Glitches
    Power Problems
    Unexpected errors including failsafes:
    • Throttle failsafe,
      GPS failsafe,
      GCS (Ground Control Station) failsafe,
      Battery failsafe.
      Fence failsafe

For more details on compass interference:
  • Natural & artificial magnetic anomalies warning which distort the magnetic field in which I am flying.
    • What is the Safe distance for various objects and materials during compass calibration i.e. at 6" it includes metal rim glasses, metal watch band, etc.
    What increases the magnetic field thus increasing the interference?
http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/automatic-compass-declination/

Also includes: What hardware changes can you make to reduce magnetic interference?
  • Placement
    Power Distribution Board
    Wires between the PDB, ESCs and battery as short as possible + other tips about wires.

I now have more ideas of what to do in order to avoid a fly-away.

Very interesting discovery. Thanks for sharing the info.

I've had a similar experience, found the Phantom 1.1.1 3 days later.
This product is not ready for market, so anyone thinking of getting one, DONT BUY! Save your money and aggravation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj