Missed an awesome flight this weekend, grr

Reaction score
Missed an awesome flight this weekend, grr

Had a issue with my gimbal freaking out recently and figured it out, thread here
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/gimbal-freaking-out-at-startup.47841

Went camping with friends to an area called the Mogollon Rim near Payson, AZ. There is a perfect spot where there is a sheer face on the mountain with a probably 200’ vertical drop. Sure enough, went to fire everything up and the gimbal shake was back. Dang it! Need to see if I can Loctite it, and going to carry the tool on me from now on.

Anyone else ever have a disappointment like this?

Be SUPER CAREFUL using Loctite anywhere near your quad. I learned the hard way that the Loctite brand blue dissolves the plastic in the Phantom. It doesn't make it gooey or sticky but instead somehow causes it to break down, almost turning into a coarse powder. I had to replace the entire shell because the plastic around the screw bushings disintegrated.

I had another member tell me what kind of Loctite to use, not the usual blue stuff you can buy in the auto or hardware store but a special formulation. You might search this forum for other Loctite references. I just stopped using thread locker altogether since hardware backing off has not been an issue.

Thanks for the heads up.

I greatly dislike the idea of using anything on my rig but I need a lasting solution. I am going to look around for what is best to use.

I did a quick search and found this...

>> Just in case some folks don't know, Loctite #425 is what you want to use. It's more expensive than most other formulations, but isn't as expensive and time consuming as replacing a shell. <<

I did a quick search and found this...

>> Just in case some folks don't know, Loctite #425 is what you want to use. It's more expensive than most other formulations, but isn't as expensive and time consuming as replacing a shell. <<

Yep, that is correct. I've been using that same stuff on my R/C stuff for a while now. I've also seen a few other people use regular Loctite and have stuff fall off their helicopters in flight. Not good when a tail rotor comes off the boom while inverted. The tail boom was metal, but the gearbox itself was plastic. Was interesting to watch this guy go running towards his heli only to realize it would hit the ground long before he got there. I told him it was a good thing he was a slow runner because if he had tried to catch it, stitches would of been in his immediate future. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers