Minor Mishap, What's the Risk of Damage to Motors?

Reaction score
On a landing, I kinda missed the flat spot I was shooting for, and my P3P tipped to the side and ended upside down.

It only took me maybe 10 seconds to get everything shut down, but the motors and props of course jammed in the grass and made that horrible screaming sound as the flight controller seemed to be applying power trying to get it leveled out.

After inspection, the only damage was a couple of chipped props (I replaced the whole set just as a precaution), and a slightly damaged ego on my part (of course a couple of people were watching). I'll also make sure I do a full calibration before the next flight.

What is the risk of damage to a motor when it jams like that? Is there something I should do to test the motor for some kind of damage?

On one of my FPV racing quads, replacing a motor isn't such a big deal, but of course on a Phantom it's a real pain since the body needs to be taken apart. I definitely don't want to go there if I don't need to.

Thanks,
Paul

I did the same thing with my new P3P a year ago..(screaming sound from motors after props hit dirt). That was a while ago and bird still going strong, i think those motors are tough and you should be ok just dont make a habit of doing tipovers. cheers!

I launch from the ground, but ALWAYS hand catch now. I had too many tip overs and such trying to land on a pad, table, grass, etc. Just bring it down, hover in place about 6ft up, grab a vertical leg and cut power. Works well. I think your motors will be fine. Good luck.

I never hand catch my drone, one error in judment you could slice some fingers or worse lose an eye.

It is almost always the case that the ESC are subject to over current failure before motor damage occurs. You can easily inspect the motor windings for any insulation damage on the field windings, the discolouration will be obvious.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik