Minnesota man faces $55K in fines by FAA

Too much missing information to tell if what he did was hobby use or not. It doesn't seem like hobby use to me however, I thought I saw a recent story that the FAA was allowing some drone footage to be given as news stories... maybe I'm mistaken on that. I did see a recent story that the FAA hasn't fined anyone for doing work without a 333 exemption - The FAA Has Never Fined Anyone for Flying a Drone Commercially

A hobbyist "can" give footage to news gathering agencies but the flight had to be hobby in intent and not merely to gather the desired footage. Basically you've got to happen to be in the right place flying for fun. You can't run to a scene and launch the UAS hoping to send it to the news agency. With that being said how can either way be "proven"?

Reactions: liketogethigh
I did see a recent story that the FAA hasn't fined anyone for doing work without a 333 exemption - The FAA Has Never Fined Anyone for Flying a Drone Commercially
My theory is the FAA is taking their time building substantial cases across the nation against violators and we're going to hear more about them as they solidify their cases. They do nothing fast (good or bad).

It doesn't seem like hobby use to me
I completely agree. His intent was to provide imagery for an organization (for profit or not is a moot point).

A hobbyist "can" give footage to news gathering agencies but the flight had to be hobby in intent and not merely to gather the desired footage. Basically you've got to happen to be in the right place flying for fun. You can't run to a scene and launch the UAS hoping to send it to the news agency. With that being said how can either way be "proven"?

Since it can't be proven either way, and I don't need the hassle of trying to prove my intent (they have more money to fight me than I have to defend myself), I'll simply choose not to submit any videos no matter how interesting to any corporation no matter what or how exciting and newsworthy the video turned out to be.

Reactions: maseman88

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl