Minnesota - Area Code 952 - 651 - 612 Meetups & Flyins

Re: Minnesota - Area Code 952 Meetups & Flyins

Cottage Grove here!

Flying the Phantom is the most fun I have had in years, I work in electronics so very comfortable with the software calibrations... if anyone ever needs any help in the area.

All we need is some decent weather now, have my landing strip, GPS position and wind sock : )

Come on Spring time!

Nothing worse than flying a white Phantom in the white outdoors!

1891294_522442494541947_1370256544_n.jpg

PSBSAT said:
Cottage Grove here!

Flying the Phantom is the most fun I have had in years, I work in electronics so very comfortable with the software calibrations... if anyone ever needs any help in the area.

All we need is some decent weather now, have my landing strip, GPS position and wind sock : )

Come on Spring time!

Nothing worse than flying a white Phantom in the white outdoors!

Nice setup!

I work in the IT industry and am also available to help anyone if needed regarding firmware updates and or any other questions.

I like your landing pads, can you see them in the camera when you are flying?

I just got mine on the 29th and have logged about 90 minutes of flying time, can't wait for some decent weather!

I could see when I first fitted them, but being foam I just cut it down until its gone from view.

I had to land blind recently behind a snow pile and these saved the day. pretty sure I had rolled it, but when I got there she was up right! I have no idea how they can sell the Phantom with the plastic landing gear they use. Has to be the worst feature of the Phantom. This foam does catch the wind a little, so looking at other ideas. But will be keeping them for now, maybe making them thinner.

Just updated all the software on mine today.

I really enjoy working with the Phantom. I used to work here in the cities with a similar (non flying) product with a compass, motors, white shell, flashing software/firmware...

Fun Stuff.

May even paint mine....

Thinking Glow in the Dark Paint.

1798876_522863037833226_1477313841_n.jpg

1743534_522863147833215_1224507439_n.jpg

1016440_522861844500012_1135490085_n.jpg

1013748_522862314499965_709367120_n.jpg

1656164_522862344499962_1649140701_n.jpg

Something like "high visibility paint job"

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 530
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 527

Hey everyone, I can't believe I just found this thread now. I just got my Phantom a couple of weeks ago and have a few flights under my belt.. Including one crash. It would've been nice to see one fly before taking the controls myself.

I haven't let the weather hold me back too much. I've been flying in the single digits and had been flying great. The crash was my first flight and was just due to inexperience.

Right now I'm really debating over fpv gear. I'd love to see some Fatshark goggles before buying. I'm thinking about the Attitudes it's just a lot of $$.

I've been having a blast and would be game to meet up some time

EMCSQUAR said:

Nice! I like you landing gear, where did you get the parts to make that?

btothemalm said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Nice! I like you landing gear, where did you get the parts to make that?

Landing gear is early Simonsays / Shapeways set up.

Last Friday was a great day, finally got to fly in a warm 15 degrees with no wind!!! And I got to say I love the P2. Flies sooooo much better than the original P1 version 1.

Looks like we should be having good weather on Wed / Thurs. I'm going to try to get out Thursday. Anybody going somewhere fun?

Griggs said:
Looks like we should be having good weather on Wed / Thurs. I'm going to try to get out Thursday. Anybody going somewhere fun?

Somewhere out and UP. Whatcha thinking?

PhantomDave said:
Griggs said:

Thats just it, I haven't come up with anything interesting yet. Otherwise I may just find a spot along the MN river valley.. Lots of open air there

Griggs said:
PhantomDave said:
Griggs said:

Thats just it, I haven't come up with anything interesting yet. Otherwise I may just find a spot along the MN river valley.. Lots of open air there

Thursday just keeps getting warmer and warmer! 34 degrees!

Griggs said:
PhantomDave said:
Griggs said:

Don't want to fly over water if I don't need to. I have done it, but it is nerve wrecking

I have been flying around my neighborhood mostly. Plus, I have some open farm fields across st. and a golf course on the otherside. No real problem with powerlines. I would like to get out of my neighborhood this weekend. I work till 4pm at home and it gets dark a little to quick to go very far before flying.

Well, now I'm seeing that it might be pretty windy. It's says between 15-25mph

Hello Minnesota pilots. Going to try and get Iowa involved if you dont mind. Doesnt seem to be as much drone traffic down here. Great to see some other phantom pilots somewhat close. I just aquired a phantom 2 with gimbal and got the go pro 3+. Shot some cool video but have a lot to learn. Took me awhile to figure out firmware for gimbal and controller but once i did it works great. Would like to see some fpv systems if you have them.

EMCSQUAR said:
Post a pic once you get it mounted - in the specs it looks pretty large. 3" x 1 1/2" I have the Garmin GTU 10.

I had to cut part of the antenna to get it to fit right, but it seems to still work fine. I tracked my GF to her work downtown from Chaska. Which doesn't help much because she was moving. Since it will only needs to be used to find it in a fly away, once it crashes, it should be stationary so I think it will do the trick pin pointing right where it is. I will be testing this accuracy over the next couple days. I'll let you know if cutting the antenna affected that accuracy.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 416

PhantomDave said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Post a pic once you get it mounted - in the specs it looks pretty large. 3" x 1 1/2" I have the Garmin GTU 10.

I had to cut part of the antenna to get it to fit right, but it seems to still work fine. I tracked my GF to her work downtown from Chaska. Which doesn't help much because she was moving. Since it will only needs to be used to find it in a fly away, once it crashes, it should be stationary so I think it will do the trick pin pointing right where it is. I will be testing this accuracy over the next couple days. I'll let you know if cutting the antenna affected that accuracy.

Sweet! I found out the antennas inside the collar do not affect the GPS. The antenna in the collar is used for detecting the proximity to the charger. The actual gps antenna is a small ceramic plate mounted on the GPS chip itself! Pretty neato though. I actually made a video for you because you asked me how I mounted it but havent had time to upload it yet.

thongbong said:
PhantomDave said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Sweet! I found out the antennas inside the collar do not affect the GPS. The antenna in the collar is used for detecting the proximity to the charger. The actual gps antenna is a small ceramic plate mounted on the GPS chip itself! Pretty neato though. I actually made a video for you because you asked me how I mounted it but havent had time to upload it yet.

That's what I thought, but when I called their support they told me that it the ribbon running through the collar was important to GPS. However, I've since discovered they are incorrect. I figured it was for the base station, so I cut them, cuz I don't care about the base station signal anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj