Minnesota - Area Code 952 - 651 - 612 Meetups & Flyins

Re: Minnesota - Area Code 952 Meetups & Flyins

Qwadjok said:
ludedude said:
Newbie P2 owner here from Crystal checking in.

Ludedude, welcome to the Minnesota team. You are not to far from here. Do you have a P2V and have you flown much?

I have over 31 hours now piloting and have the record below zero flight at -21 below. See my posts.

QJ

I have a P2 non vision. I'm a rookie when it cones to flying as I only have about 40 mins of flying time currently lol. I went out in the 10 degree weather a few days ago and decided I needed better gloves lol. I will be putting most of my videos on YouTube but only have one up there now since I've only flown once with the gopro hooked up.

Qwadjok said:
Hey Guys

Had an awesome day flying at the 2014 US Pond Hockey Championships at Lake Nakomis. WOW what an awesome day for flying. 39 degrees, sunny and calm winds. Simply awesome. Got lots of great video and produced a great lineup. The guys at the USPHC were great. The video is done, just need to produce it and get it posted.

Met another P2V pilot there heading to the Bahamas tomorrow with his P2V. Poor guy, has to go there for work....

QJ

Have to agree w'ya, Sunday was pretty nice - I was chasing Lockness Nellie on Lake of the Isles -> http://vimeo.com/84529778

Qwadjok said:
thongbong said:
Hello! Let me know when and where. It's kind of cold outside now, not too good on batteries though. Just sold my P1 and am getting my P2 in the mail tomorrow. Just waiting on one more SMA nut to come in the mail to complete my ground station setup. Ready to fly with some friends!

John
-P2 with ground station
-Tarot Ironman 650

Cool. Where ya located in 952?

Did you get your P2V?

QJ

I live in around the Plymouth area, and I just got my P2 yesterday!!! I orderd from Amazon and they sent me the P1 by mistake! Had to wait a whole other week!!! But all is good now, got my fpv monitor going but waaaayyyy too cold to fly outside. I'm sure this negative weather will make my P2 flyaway. :lol:

Hey guys

Can't wait for warmer weather, so instead of sulking indoors till Spring, I have included the last two video links I did for Buck Hill and the US Pond Hockey Championships. Hope you guys like them.

Soon as warm weather hits us, I'd like to plan a flyin with nothing but DJI quads. What do you all think?

QJ

US Pond Hockey Championships Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcpaiFiP54

Buck Hill Aerial Views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaBPh48oHo

Qwadjok said:
Hey guys

Can't wait for warmer weather, so instead of sulking indoors till Spring, I have included the last two video links I did for Buck Hill and the US Pond Hockey Championships. Hope you guys like them.

Soon as warm weather hits us, I'd like to plan a flyin with nothing but DJI quads. What do you all think?

QJ

US Pond Hockey Championships Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojcpaiFiP54

Buck Hill Aerial Views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBaBPh48oHo

Sounds great !!! They are saying after Feb 10th the weather pattern should start improving. 20's and 30's It's not spring, but it is doable.

Nice work on the vids.

First " warm" day since I got my P2. Hands down better than the P1. Loving the flight time and integrated PMU with zenmuse readiness!

Keep me posted.. I'm in

Hello, new to the group and from the Plymouth area. I met the OP when he was out at Buck Hill and he steered me over to this forum.

I have been looking to purchase the P2V for quite a while now. The only problem is I have been reading all these horror stories about fly-away's and failed firmware updates that I am leary about spending $1200.00 on this bad boy.

Are the people experiencing these issues just not technically inclined or are they not following directions? I sure don't want to have my $1200 quad fly away on me right after I get it.

Is there anyone that can speak to any of these issues?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

btothemalm said:
Hello, new to the group and from the Plymouth area. I met the OP when he was out at Buck Hill and he steered me over to this forum.

I have been looking to purchase the P2V for quite a while now. The only problem is I have been reading all these horror stories about fly-away's and failed firmware updates that I am leary about spending $1200.00 on this bad boy.

Are the people experiencing these issues just not technically inclined or are they not following directions? I sure don't want to have my $1200 quad fly away on me right after I get it.

I just ordered this http://www.pettracker.com/ That should take care of the fly away, unless it lands in water. I am pretty sure 95% or more ahve been user error

Post a pic once you get it mounted - in the specs it looks pretty large. 3" x 1 1/2" I have the Garmin GTU 10.

Ludedude: I am in the Lakeville area. Here is a link to my YouTube channel and some vids I posted. PhantomDave, Paul and TheTac are some who live nearby. Look through the threads here and you'll see some from Cottage Grove to Chaska.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCid_d3C ... Iew/videos

Shoot me an PM with your phone and I'll call you.

QJ

PhantomDave said:
btothemalm said:

I just ordered this http://www.pettracker.com/ That should take care of the fly away, unless it lands in water. I am pretty sure 95% or more ahve been user error

I have one of those too! works great, but had to dismantle it and do some soldering to bring down the weight and size, but so far so great!

btothemalm said:

Honestly I'm surprised at how few flyaway stories there are with the Phantom 2. There are plenty more with the Phantom 1, being an original owner. But yes, I've been looking for Phantom 2 flyaway stories and there are considerably less, maybe because its still new but I definitely think the guys at DJI found the bug, probably somewhere in the firmware or the way the MC was engineered. There are more PV2 flyaway stories then P2, but not too many to make me concerned. Get one, join the club, when the weather warms up its gonna be one hell of a flight club!

Well, I pulled the trigger and it just arrived today! I can't wait to fly it!

I have updated the controller firmware, updated the phantom firmware and just need to wait till the range extender is fully charged so I can hook everything up format the MicroSD card with the mobile app and then update the camera firmware. I think I should be all set after that?

Does anyone else's make a slight buzzing noise when first powered on? It sounds like it is coming from the camera tilt motor.

btothemalm said:

I have updated the controller firmware, updated the phantom firmware and just need to wait till the range extender is fully charged so I can hook everything up format the MicroSD card with the mobile app and then update the camera firmware. I think I should be all set after that?

Does anyone else's make a slight buzzing noise when first powered on? It sounds like it is coming from the camera tilt motor.

Congrats on the new bird. Mine makes the same noise. I think it is alive. :lol: I did not see 2 seperate firmware updates. (1 for the bird and 1 for the camera). Are you mistaken or did I miss it?

PhantomDave said:
btothemalm said:

Congrats on the new bird. Mine makes the same noise. I think it is alive. :lol: I did not see 2 seperate firmware updates. (1 for the bird and 1 for the camera). Are you mistaken or did I miss it?

PhantomDave,
Using the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant software, connect your bird using the microUSB that is covered up by the rubber cover on the front part of the body of phantom. From there you will be able to update the birds firmware as well if it needs it. Not sure if this is necessary but I did as part of my process in understanding the functions of each device (I'm an IT guy so updating firmware is my life :) ). You should download that software and plug in to your bird and check it out.
Here is a link to the DJI WIKI page that I followed:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision-Assistant_Software_Installation_and_Configuration
Let me know what you find out.

btothemalm said:
PhantomDave said:
btothemalm said:

PhantomDave,
Using the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant software, connect your bird using the microUSB that is covered up by the rubber cover on the front part of the body of phantom. From there you will be able to update the birds firmware as well if it needs it. Not sure if this is necessary but I did as part of my process in understanding the functions of each device (I'm an IT guy so updating firmware is my life :) ). You should download that software and plug in to your bird and check it out.
Here is a link to the DJI WIKI page that I followed:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision-Assistant_Software_Installation_and_Configuration
Let me know what you find out.

I did that, but it seemed to be the same firmware update, so I didn't click it, but it did seem updated after I did the firmware update from my SD card, so I thought I was good . I guess I'll have to hook it up to my computer again and take a second look. Thanks

Welcome btothemalm and thangbong to the group. Once the weather is nice, I will send out a PM to everyone who want to attend a flyin barbecue at my farm on the border of Prior Lake and Lakeville. Should be a fun time and a ghreat way to connect with others on here about issues and tips.

Let me know who all is interested so I can create a list of invites.

QJ

(Jeff)

Qwadjok said:
Welcome btothemalm and thangbong to the group. Once the weather is nice, I will send out a PM to everyone who want to attend a flyin barbecue at my farm on the border of Prior Lake and Lakeville. Should be a fun time and a ghreat way to connect with others on here about issues and tips.

Let me know who all is interested so I can create a list of invites.

QJ

(Jeff)

Sounds great! Count me in!

Thanks

thongbong said:
btothemalm said:

Honestly I'm surprised at how few flyaway stories there are with the Phantom 2. There are plenty more with the Phantom 1, being an original owner. But yes, I've been looking for Phantom 2 flyaway stories and there are considerably less, maybe because its still new but I definitely think the guys at DJI found the bug, probably somewhere in the firmware or the way the MC was engineered. There are more PV2 flyaway stories then P2, but not too many to make me concerned. Get one, join the club, when the weather warms up its gonna be one hell of a flight club!

Thangbong: The P2V has only been out for 3 months whereas the P1 has been oput for a year. As time flies by, most likely there will be more flyaways. It's inevitable. IMO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj