Minimum Operating Radius?

Reaction score
Just did my first flight with this baby about an hour ago after about 3-4 days of flight check, calibration, and "aviation 101".

Well, long story short.. it didn't end well.

Nicked/hit a couple cars.
Propellers scratched up on top.
Almost hit bystanders (had to e-stop).

Winds were about 5MPH and I took it out on a near-empty apartment parking lot the size of about 3-4 basketball courts.

I have no idea what went wrong, but the phantom just wouldn't hold its position.. even when trying to compensate I felt that there wasn't much control.

I'm pretty sure I did the following before flying:
Compass dance.
Calibration within normal limits.
Transmitter calibrated.
Latest firmware.
Homelock
Check for green lights flashing constantly

Plus I was using stock propellers and GoPro mount (with housing). I think the Phantom was flying forward a little even.

So yeah, obviously I should go to the park and have bumpers (and larger landing gears installed).. but I wonder how big of a safe minimum "playing field" a Phantom should have.

You guys pretty much make it look easy. :lol:

You're doing just fine. My first flight wasn't much different.
Now try and get away from all those overhead wires, light posts, and huge buildings.
Those could cause enough interference to make the bird unstable.
Find a field about the size of a football field to learn in.

If it was a concrete carpark that could have been enough reinforcing(reo bar) underneath to throw out your compass. Also the Cars themselves.

These stories scare me as I am preparing for my first flight. Can you clarify a few things to help me out? Are you sure the switches were set to GPS? Was it a Phantom 2? Latest frimware 3.0? When you say GoPro with housing I am assuming the GoPro waterproof housing with no gimbal? I have the P2 w/H3-3D and until I get the flying down the gimbal and GoPro will be staying home to minimize my losses. I also set the limits for distance and altitude to 100M. Thanks.

Didn't fly in a carpark.. it's an open-air parking lot.

Pretty sure GPS was good since there wasn't any red lights.

PhantomPhreak said:
These stories scare me as I am preparing for my first flight. Can you clarify a few things to help me out? Are you sure the switches were set to GPS? Was it a Phantom 2? Latest frimware 3.0? When you say GoPro with housing I am assuming the GoPro waterproof housing with no gimbal? I have the P2 w/H3-3D and until I get the flying down the gimbal and GoPro will be staying home to minimize my losses. I also set the limits for distance and altitude to 100M. Thanks.

Don't fly in or around concrete, trees, etc. Use prop guards.. I'm an idiot for taking off the prop guards for my first flight. S1 & S2 are both switched all the way up. Phantom 1.1.1 which isn't much difference. Yep, the waterproof one. Latest firmware. Try flying without gimbal for now until you get the feel for it flying. My limits were both set to 200M which should be about one block.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20