Minimum Distance and Altitude.

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.
Wondering if anyone might be able to help me out here.
I received my Phantom 2 Vision on Jan 15th and have been studying the users manual and also bringing the Quad out for some test flights to feel for the reliability of it. So far I haven't run into any critical type issues and I am enjoying much of it's capabilities.
One big issue I have is that the distance and or altitude will not exceed roughly 250' to 300' max before it kicks into the return home mode. I switched from CE to FCC and the same distance / height was reached. All this while located at Jones Beach Long Island Field 2 where there is absolutely no obstructions, power lines or basically anything to interfere with the communication with the Quad.
Each time the quad reached a close distance during the Return Home mode, I was able to regain control while still in the air.
Am I missing something here?
Please help. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Do you get 2 quick beeps rather than just 1 when you power on the remote controller, indicating that you're in FCC mode?

If you haven't already done so, download the Naza-M V2 software and connect your Vision and remote controller to it via the USB-to-mini-USB cable from the computer to the Vision.
Under the "Advanced" settings, go to the "Limits" tab and observe the "maximum altitude" and "maximum radius" settings and see if they are set too low. Unless those settings have been changed, they should be at the default distances of 2000 meters.

Those are the only ideas I have at the moment.

Bigbells,
Thank you for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.
It appears Amazon has shipped me a Phantom 2 Vision with an older model remote which doesn't have a USB port.
I opened the controller and see where a firmware connector can be attached, but the shipment didn't come with an adapter.
Also, you discussed advanced settings on the downloaded app for the Android phone. My app doesn't have advanced settings.

The only firmware update i did upon initial un-boxing of the Phantom was the Phantom Quad itself. I was a bit puzzled as I was assuming the controller need an update as well. Kinda thought it may be accomplished through the camera and wifi extender. Guess that's not how it happens.

If you have any other thoughts, I'd appreciate them. Although, I think I'm gonna contact DJI (which I've read negative reviews about their customer support) and more importantly Amazon (who has an impeccable customer relations model) and consider all options such as replacement controller or a full refund as the 30 day return policy is still in effect.

I sure hope this can be solved because I really do love the Phantom.
We'll see.

Thanks very much

I am having similar problems with my phantom 2 vision. When i check the software downloads for this model on their web site
http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/
I managed to download the software you mentioned but i did not make any changes just looked at the settings that were in there. The distance was set to the default 2000m . BUt i do not feel confident enough to change any setting.

Thanks
Dangermouse

340cams said:
It appears Amazon has shipped me a Phantom 2 Vision with an older model remote which doesn't have a USB port.
I opened the controller and see where a firmware connector can be attached, but the shipment didn't come with an adapter.
The same cable that you used to connect the Vision to a computer is the one you need to use to connect the remote control to a computer. There is a mini-USB plug on the circuit board inside the remote control. Neither of my two remote control units has had the mini-USB connector on the outside, yet both of them have already had the latest firmware and didn't need firmware updates. For calibrating the sticks you'll need to connect the remote to the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant software, but it seems kind of unlikely to me that stick calibration could be related in any way to lack of range.
Also, you discussed advanced settings on the downloaded app for the Android phone. My app doesn't have advanced settings.
I'm not talking about the DJI Vision app. I'm talking about the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant software, a different program. I'm not sure if the Assistant software can be used on an Android device; I don't think it can; it needs to be downloaded and used on a Mac or Windows computer.

The instructions for the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant software start on page 50 of the Phantom 2 Vision User Manual, which is here:
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .12_en.pdf

The device didn't come with any cable to connect it to my PC. I downloaded the firmware on a micro sd card and loaded it through the camera. There is a tutorial video on the DJI Phantom setup page showing this technique, which is why I was confused about the controller from the beginning. No way to insert any form of media.

I'm also re-reading the quick start guide in regards to the binding of the device with the phone / Vision app and it shows a caution not to connect wifi to the cameras MAC address which is an FC200 number..to make sure I connect to the Phantoms MAC address which is a PHANTOM_100b number. When scanning with my phone, the PHANTOM MAC address is not present. Odd.

In regards to a double beep when initially turning the controller on...yes, it has the double beep. So, it is in the FCC mode.

I think I will download the app on my I-pad and see if the advanced settings are there.

Thanks again.
P.s. If you have time for a quick phone call...please email me at [email protected]

340cams said:
The device didn't come with any cable to connect it to my PC. I downloaded the firmware on a micro sd card and loaded it through the camera. There is a tutorial video on the DJI Phantom setup page showing this technique, which is why I was confused about the controller from the beginning. No way to insert any form of media.

P.s. If you have time for a quick phone call...please email me at [email protected]
Updating the camera firmware is done the way you describe. Updating the controller firmware and updating the Phantom Vision firmware are not done through the camera and are not done by inserting any media. Each of those is done by downloading the relevant files to your computer, then connecting the controller to your computer to update the controller and the Vision craft to your computer to update the Vision craft. It's 3 separate processes to update the camera, update the controller, and update the craft.

If you were able to connect your quad to your computer, then you use the same cable to attach your controller to your computer.

If that doesn't clear things up, let me know and I'll email you my phone number.

Ok, I downloaded the DJI Vision app for my I-pad and connected it to the quad. The app doesn't have advanced settings.
I cannot find anywhere to set the distance up to 2000ft.

Things that are clearly not right are this app and the advanced settings not present.
The SSID address of the Phantom not present in my available wifi scan. Only the camera. I am thinking this is possible where the
problem is. But still in the troubleshooting mode.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 819
There was no way to connect neither of the 2 devices as there was no cable supplied. This is certainly leading to the reason.
Is it possible the cable is inside the quad?

I will check.

The information and supplies are clearly at a bare minimum from DJI...not the most satisfying purchase experience I've ever had. Lol

As I said before:

The DJI Vision app is not where you find the altitude and radius limit settings.

Those settings are in a different program, called Phantom Vision Assistant.

If you look on page 4 of the User Manual, to which I provided the URL, you will see the list of items that was supposed to come with your Phantom Vision 2. What method did you use to charge your range extender if you did not have a mini-USB cable included with your purchase?

We are talking about two different issues. The first is upgrading the Tx from CE to FCC. That requires three steps. One you need to rotate the pot to the right, two upgrade the Tx firmware and lastly upgrade the Rx firmware. You will need to down load the Phantom RC Assistant software and then connect your computer to the Tx via the micro usb connector either on the outside of the of the Tx or by opening up the case. Be careful not to damage the Tx antenna wire. Once that is complete upgrade the Rx in Phantom Assistant. That completes the RC upgrades.

The other issue is the ability to set up an RC fence. The default values are set at 2000m. I have mine set at the metric equivalent of 400' in height and 1000' in distance. This function is available in Phantom Assistant.

Forgive me...The cord which was supplied was the same as any other android cell phone charger. That is the cable which I used to charge the WIFI extender. I fully opened the controller and located the mini usb plug in, which wasn't visible without fully opening it.
I downloaded all the firmware for the quad and did the install. The controller is already up to day.
Sorry for putting you through all this. I have to run to work now and will check the flight of this later or tomorrow morning.

Tahoe Ed,
Thanks for the info.
Sorry for the delayed response...Busy work schedule.

So, I have connected the Controller to my PC and it didn't need a firmware update. I calibrated it.
I then connected the Phantom and rechecked the firmware which I updated the other day. I also calibrated the Remote via wifi while the Phantom was connected to the pc. I have the lower potentiometer turned to the clockwise position for the FCC setting.

I have turned on the RC, then the wifi extender, then plugged the Phantom battery in and turned on the Phantom and the camera switch to wifi. I waited a few minutes and saw the camera light was green and the wifi extender connection light was blinking green. I did a compass calibration on the Phantom and then set up the wifi with my Galaxy S4 connecting to the Phantom and then opened the DJI Vision App and did the Binding with the camera.
All GPS lights were blinking slowly green. All ready to start.
I ran the Phantom and flew it to an altitude above 200'. As it approached between 250' and 280' the phone displayed the message "Connection lost!" with the phantom and the device went to safe home mode.
This exact scenario happens when I fly the device vertically away from my position as it reaches roughly 250'.
Just got off the phone with DJI Tech Rep. The guy was helpful. Told me to put my Verizon Galaxy S4 into Airplane mode as he believes the data... if left on... interferes with the wifi extender.
I will try this tomorrow morning and give an update. I hope this solves the problem.
Unless if someone else can see something that I may be doing incorrectly???

Thanks guys!

I have the same problem with a limit of about 225-250'. Did the AIRPLANE MODE setting fix this problem?

FBM said:
I have the same problem with a limit of about 225-250'. Did the AIRPLANE MODE setting fix this problem?

Do you by chance have the tip of the controller antenna pointed at the aircraft when it's above you at that height?

FBM said:

It turned out my original Phantom2 Vision was defective. I returned and exchanged it for the Phantom2 with go through Camera.
Problem solved.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.