Minimum Altitude

JTC

Reaction score
While walking through my neighborhood this morning, a single engine aircraft, probably a Piper, flew over at what I would estimate an altitude of 350 to 400 ft. I thought that it was a good thing I was not flying my Phantom in the same area. There are no fields within 5 miles of this location, so he would not have been on final approach. If there would have been an incident, who do you think the F.A.A. would believe? As I remember my instructor in ground school saying regarding right of way, "Don't hit the other guy".

"If there would have been an incident, who do you think the F.A.A. would believe?"

They'll believe the data from your device.

S

See and Avoid...applies to all aircraft.
I have had similar here the last two days.... numerous ultralights,
a Super Cub on skis, and a 180 R to boot. All well under 500' in a Class E airspace with no obvious intention of landing that I could see, just doing low and slow flyovers of the lake/ice huts.

Makes me a little uncomfortable because I'd be harder to see and probably slower to move.

He'd likely be in contravention of Regs if he was that low and hit you.

Even when practicing Emg. Landings in rural Canada we were required to stay 500' AGL.

See and Avoid...applies to all aircraft.
I have had similar here the last two days.... numerous ultralights,
a Super Cub on skis, and a 180 R to boot. All well under 500' in a Class E airspace with no obvious intention of landing that I could see, just doing low and slow flyovers of the lake/ice huts.

Makes me a little uncomfortable because I'd be harder to see and probably slower to move.

He'd likely be in contravention of Regs if he was that low and hit you.

Even when practicing Emg. Landings in rural Canada we were required to stay 500' AGL.

Minimum altitudes really depends on the type of area an aircraft is flying over. In sparsely populated areas or over water, you're really only required to stay 500' from the nearest person/vehicle/structure. You can be low all day long - in fact I rarely find myself much over 500' when flying my Quicksilver - of course it's all corn fields and trees around here.

Ultimately, the manned aircraft has the right of way in all scenarios. I'm guessing that's why the FAA says to keep VLOS to RC aircraft.

This was a subdivision and a populated area. He broke the FARs and I was glad I wasn't flying at that place today. I just always error on the side of caution and really really don't want my Phantom to be involved in any way in causing a manned aircraft to crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20