Mini iOSD installation question

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

After a great help from the users here, I was able to get my FPV system installed and running. I LOVE IT!

A special thank you to the user OI Photography for the awesome help and guidance.

Now...I am interesting in taking my FPV to the next level.

As a reference on my setup (http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12151:

Phanton v1.1.1
DJI Upgrade Board
Zen Muse Gimbal
GoPro 3

GoPro Video contects camera directly into the upgrade board. Then The 4 pin connector right next to the input from the camera connects to the Immersion vTX.

I am looking to install an OSD device (Open to brands). My goal is to keep it light as possible (I don't mind direct soldering).

Would the DJI Mini iOSD be a good idea? Alternative? Also, how would the iOSD connect to my setup?

Thank you in advance.

Better not trust that OI guy, I hear he's pretty shady :cool:

I was actually just about to reply to your PM anyway lol. In my opinion, the iOSD mini is the best option for a Phantom. While there are aftermarket options (EzOSD, Skylark OSD, etc), it's hard to beat DJI's model in terms of size, price, and ease of installation. Plus, none of the other options will show you the data straight from the NAZA, they all use their own sensors.

With the install you have now, this cable is the only thing you need to add the iOSD mini to the mix: http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

Since you said you don't mind soldering, I would suggest removing the iOSD from it's case and wiring it straight to the upgrade board in the Phantom. This mod shows you how, you'll need to scroll down a bit to see pics of the iOSD without case, showing which wires connect where: http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-pha ... -bus-port/

Definitely don't trust that OI guy!

Forgot to say thanks for the extenders!

Plans have changed and I built a new quad.....so if I don't keep the Phantom, I will pass them along to someone else that may need them. Thanks again!

OI Photography said:
Better not trust that OI guy, I hear he's pretty shady :cool:

I was actually just about to reply to your PM anyway lol. In my opinion, the iOSD mini is the best option for a Phantom. While there are aftermarket options (EzOSD, Skylark OSD, etc), it's hard to beat DJI's model in terms of size, price, and ease of installation. Plus, none of the other options will show you the data straight from the NAZA, they all use their own sensors.

With the install you have now, this cable is the only thing you need to add the iOSD mini to the mix: http://www.firstpersonview.com/cables/p ... ransmitter

Since you said you don't mind soldering, I would suggest removing the iOSD from it's case and wiring it straight to the upgrade board in the Phantom. This mod shows you how, you'll need to scroll down a bit to see pics of the iOSD without case, showing which wires connect where: http://www.sarawuth.com/2014/01/dji-pha ... -bus-port/

Thank you Again OIP!

So...quick questions:

1. I believe the top wire (where it shows the wire with the 4 pin connector will plug into the upgrade board, correct?
2. Where does the grey big plug go? Anywhere?

http://www.firstpersonview.com/image/cache/data/cables/P2toIosdMiniToIRCCable-500x500.jpg

tpawyant said:
So...quick questions:

1. I believe the top wire (where it shows the wire with the 4 pin connector will plug into the upgrade board, correct?
2. Where does the grey big plug go? Anywhere?

http://www.firstpersonview.com/image/cache/data/cables/P2toIosdMiniToIRCCable-500x500.jpg

1. Correct, that's the plug that will connect to the port on the upgrade board that your current video/power feed to the vTx is connected to.

2. That's the canbus plug...normally you would plug that in to a canbus port, but since you don't have one that's what you will remove (along with the whole cable) to solder the iOSD mini leads straight to the board (as described in that sarawuth mod).

OI Photography said:
1. Correct, that's the plug that will connect to the port on the upgrade board that your current video/power feed to the vTx is connected to.

2. That's the canbus plug...normally you would plug that in to a canbus port, but since you don't have one that's what you will remove (along with the whole cable) to solder the iOSD mini leads straight to the board (as described in that sarawuth mod).

Perfect. I looking at the mod to hardware the OSD directly to the upgrade kit/board, I could use just any 4 wire connector (male and female) correct?

This is going to be my weekend/friday night project! WOOT!

Thanks OIP!!! You are da man!

tpawyant said:
Perfect. I looking at the mod to hardware the OSD directly to the upgrade kit/board, I could use just any 4 wire connector (male and female) correct?

This is going to be my weekend/friday night project! WOOT!

Thanks OIP!!! You are da man!

No problem, I didn't want to be the only one soldering in preparation for Saturday ;)

Yes you can use pretty much any 4-pin connector you want, but I wouldn't even bother with that (unless you plan to remove the iOSD a lot)...just take 4 leads and solder them with one end on the iOSD board, and the other end on the upgrade board. No need to put a connector in the middle unless you want it for convenience.

OI Photography said:
...just take 4 leads and solder them with one end on the iOSD board, and the other end on the upgrade board. No need to put a connector in the middle unless you want it for convenience.

That is exactly what I was thinking. I hope I can find a spot inside the phantom to mount this. I assume it should go inside?

ok..one last question...as I am review the cable setup...

using the diagram that we have been discussing....what is the purpose of the "CANBUS" wire (4pin wire) that is soldered to the upgrade board? Power only?

Thanks!

tpawyant said:
ok..one last question...as I am review the cable setup...

using the diagram that we have been discussing....what is the purpose of the "CANBUS" wire (4pin wire) that is soldered to the upgrade board? Power only?

Thanks!

Dual-purpose connection...that's where the iOSD (or any other component) gets its power and data feed.

When you're soldering it to the upgrade board, the 2 leads that go on to bare pads are data, the 2 leads that connect where that other wire is also soldered are for the power.

I am going to do the sarawuth mod, for that im going to use a female can bus cable conected to the mini iosd thru the empty can bus in of the mini iosd, cut and solder in the board the Ch and Cl cables, but im in doubt how to manage the other two, can i splice the cable with the GND and RV and conect it directly to the x3 without soldering them directly to the board? What happends to the can bus cable the comes attached to the mini iosd with this method?
Has anyone try this, any pictures or video?
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31