Mini iOSD DJI on a Phantom 1.1.1

Reaction score
Dear Phantom friends,
I will finally be able to see my battery level while flying my P1.1.1!!! So excited! But after reading a few topics, I have a question... Do I need a PMU? I thought just with this and my FPV kit I would be able to use it but I do not know where I need to plug this silver plugh that says "DJI". Does the Phantom 1.1.1 has this "entrance" already?
DJI-IOSD-MINI.jpg

Thanks guys!
Cheers!
Thiago Pereira

Dear Phantom friends,
I will finally be able to see my battery level while flying my P1.1.1!!! So excited! But after reading a few topics, I have a question... Do I need a PMU? I thought just with this and my FPV kit I would be able to use it but I do not know where I need to plug this silver plugh that says "DJI". Does the Phantom 1.1.1 has this "entrance" already?

For what I know, the connector you are referring in the mini IOSD needs to be connected to a Can-bus port.
This Can-Bus port in P1.1.1 can be added either by adding a PMU V2 (another additional component to be connected to Naza controller that has the Canbus port) or completely changing the basic board with the version implementing the Canbus port.
This second version is a little bit more complicated, as it is necessary to completely disassemble ESC, Naza, GPS etc, dissolder and solder the power connections to the new board and riassemble everithing:instructions are given in one of the attached DJI instruction manual.
The PMU option is a little bit more simple, but it is necessary to find the space to accomodate both PMU and IOSD and move some connections, according to a connection scheme that you can find in page 6 of the attached DJI Naza manual. The extra weight must also be considered.
If anybody else knows a different solution, it is welcome.
Attached you find the 2 manuals mentioned above.

Attachments

• NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.26_en.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 347
  • P330CB-H3-2D_Instruction_v1.00_en.pdf
    575 KB · Views: 365
Reactions: Thiago Pereira
There are some much cheaper options, if you are only interested in battery voltage you can simply connect a micro minim OSD ( less than $10) between your camera and VTX, you also need a 5v BEC to power it, I used a tiny Pololu regulator. using the MWOSD software you can turn off display for everything except battery voltage, I did this for a while on my P1 and it was great.

If you want full OSD but don't need artificial horizon you can install the N1 OSD (about $20 on eBay) this can be setup to look like the iOSD or even better to show extra info like latitude & longitude, this option requires only soldering a power lead for the battery voltage. So far this has been working really well for me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I too am in the same boat, I have a fpv kit for my phantom 1.1.1, just got it, works great. Now I am ordering a DJI IOSD and the pmuV2 witch has a can bus port on it. I did some searcing on the web and found some wiring diagrams to get it all hooked up. Also found a good video on youtube. I will post the link later after I get home from work.

Thank you, guys. This really helps me.
I am a big fan of plug and play and I should have researched first that only the mini iOSD module would not work on the Phantom 1.1.1 without the PMU v2.
As barees63 mentioned above, I should have gone for the cheap option as I am just looking for the battery level information on my FPV... :-/

I will open up my drone tonight with a tiny little bit of hope that my board has a CAN Bus port, but from what I've read, I believe I am out of luck...

Thanks again,
Thiago Pereira

Yes your out of luck. No can bus in the version you and i have. I was gonna go for the cheap ones too but i am not interested in some chineese icons and such. Going with the dji osd mini and pmuv2. Lots of telementry on it all english but it depends what u want and how much you wanna spend.

Just FYI, the N1 OSD is all English now too, but since it only connects to the GPS rather than the flight controller it doesn't show an artificial horizon or flight mode and the height/direction values are from the GPS and a little less accurate, although it does have options for compass and barometer so maybe it gets these via the GPS cable also, I'm going to try them next time I have the shell open.

One advantage of the N1 over the iOSD is that it can show latitude/ longitude which can be helpful if the unthinkable happens and you are recording with a DVR which many people do as a kind of insurance, the N1 also allows you design the layout on a grid system which is helpful in some cases ( eg. My monitor shows its own OSD at the top of the screen so I was able to move the Phantom data out of the way)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20