Mini 4 WiFi or Cellular

Reaction score
My Mini 2 with 9.0.2 and DJI GO 2.3 has to much lag to fly. I am going to buy a Mini 4 and would like to know what the advantages of of cellular version are over a WiFi (connected to my Verison hot spot) using both DJI GO and AutoLogic AutoFlight.

Thanks

Last edited:
I went through this purchasing decision and ended up getting the cellular version. It's a bit more expensive, but the ability to access maps in the field is golden, and it's fun to be able to upload photos to Facebook right after taking them. Also, I've found that an iPad Mini with cellular is generally quite a useful thing to have - I use it to read the NY Times and WSJ in the park, for example - and no doubt I'll find other uses for it in the future. Plus, with T-Mobile in the US, you can get 200MB of data a month for free, or match your phone's plan for just $10/mo. Well worth it.

What is meant by and/or the advantage of;

* No access to new maps in the field
* No LIVE STREAMING

Also, are you saying that if I have a Ipad connected to the internet with WiFi I can not use Follow Me?

Thanks for the help... Sorry to have you repeat, but my searches on this site did not bring up your any of your other numerous reports.

Also, what is an external GPS? If I am connected to the internet with my Verizon hot spot do I not have GPS. Doesn't the Ipad have built in GPS? Using my Mini 2 connected to my hot spot I have maps it finds in a new location when flying ?

Ok... I am starting to understand. I called Verizon and the cost is $10 p/m for an additional device that wil share my 20gb plan. I am not concerned about the additional upfront cost of the Ipad. But all I really want is 1. follow-me and 2. Dynamic Home Point. Can I get this with wifi connected to my hot spot with a wifi only ipad?

Ok... I am starting to understand. I called Verizon and the cost is $10 p/m for an additional device that wil share my 20gb plan. I am not concerned about the additional upfront cost of the Ipad. But all I really want is 1. follow-me and 2. Dynamic Home Point. Can I get this with wifi connected to my hot spot with a wifi only ipad?
Wifi only iPad (tethered for internet)
* No Follow Me
* No Dynamic Home Point
* Can access new maps in the field
* Can use LIVE STREAMING, but likely not well.

The key difference is that the cellular versions have a GPS inside. The WiFi versions don't, and iOS isn't clever enough to use the GPS from any phone or other device you tether to. If you want DHP and Follow Me, get the cellular version.

What is meant by and/or the advantage of;

* No access to new maps in the field
* No LIVE STREAMING

Also, are you saying that if I have a Ipad connected to the internet with WiFi I can not use Follow Me?

Thanks for the help... Sorry to have you repeat, but my searches on this site did not bring up your any of your other numerous reports.
Follow me needs GPS at the RC. A wifi only iPad does not have GPS (even when tethered), so Follow Me or any of the functions that require GPS at the RC (such as Dynamic Home Point) will not work.

For those functions to work, you need a cellular iPad to get GPS, a wifi only iPad with an eternal GPS device, an Android tablet or phone, or an iPhone.

Thanks for the info from both of you, this is what I am looking for. However, I notice that Oso has not upgraded to IOS 9.0.2. Why not???? The reason I am upgrading to Mini 4 is because IOS 9.0.2 does not work on the Mini 2 and unfourtantly, I can not find a Mini 4 with IOS 8.4.1. So again, why have you not upgraded to 9.0.2?

Thanks for the info from both of you, this is what I am looking for. However, I notice that Oso has not upgraded to IOS 9.0.2. Why not???? The reason I am upgrading to Mini 4 is because IOS 9.0.2 does not work on the Mini 2 and unfourtantly, I can not find a Mini 4 with IOS 8.4.1. So again, why have you not upgraded to 9.0.2?
No problem. Happy to help.

I haven't upgraded yet since I only use the Air 2 for my P3, and there have been too many issues with GO on 9.x so far. I don't upgrade just to upgrade, so once I am confident that GO and iOS play well together I may upgrade if there is some compelling reason to do so.

I the same... I only use my Apple for mu P3. It would be nice if you would pass your reluctance to upgrade on to DJI, so that you could help your fellow flyers that have unfortunately upgraded to IOS 9x and are having problems, to get DJI to FIX THE PROBLEM!!!

I rolled back from os 9 to os 8 in my iPad Air 2, because not only is os 9 unstable, the iMovie app for OS 9 (version 2.2) is junk and won't let you import and edit 4k video like the previous version on os 8 would. This is a huge drawback if you're interested in shooting video and watching it immediately and editing it on the iPad with iMovie. We all know the DJI movie editor is crap.

I have the iPad Mini 4 wifi and it works GREAT! I was driven to the mini 4 because I got sick and tired of multiple problems with my other devices causing problems. Before purchasing the mini 4 I was using my Galaxy Note 3, S6, and LG tablet. All of them had different problems. Since using the mini 4 I haven't had any issues. I haven't tried Follow Me as of yet with the mini but it worked great with my Note 3.

Upgraded to a Mini4 16g cellular... keep my fingers crossed but works like a charm in the first three flights. I even think think the video, especially when panning is much better. If you don't want to upgrade to Mini4 don't upgrade to IOS9x ... is my experience.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj