Mine just fell from the sky tonight

Reaction score
It started acting funny and I couldn't get it to come back to me. All off the sudden power was lost and it just dropped to the pavement from about 200 feet. I noticed the lights shut off right before it dropped. Battery was 50%+.

Rotorpixle motor housings are destroyed,

**** DJI!

that blows.

prior to the Phantom 2's,. it was extremely rare and almost unheard of, that a Phantom would die and fall from the sky.

there must be a design defect of some kind with the Phantom 2's

Gizmo3000 said:
that blows.

prior to the Phantom 2's,. it was extremely rare and almost unheard of, that a Phantom would die and fall from the sky.

there must be a design defect of some kind with the Phantom 2's

All lights went out and it just dropped.

A guy on my street didn't like me flying it the other day. Wonder if he jammed me or something. He's a prop head so duno.

gfredrone said:
A guy on my street didn't like me flying it the other day. Wonder if he jammed me or something. He's a prop head so duno.

I wouldn't go thinking about it being brought down by someone jamming your signal. Although it is technically possible it is highly highly improbable. Mine fell from the sky just like yours 3 months ago and it was down to a faulty battery. I think we need to explore all other possibilities. I really hope since the new info has come out about hacking the wifi repeater that people dont start jumping on a new band wagon just to explain a crash they cant explain. Same as the "fllyaway" gang.

gfredrone said:

i don't think it would be possible to turn a Phantom off remotely.. unless you hit it with an EMP (electro magnetic pulse), ..which I'm not even sure if the Military is capable of.

I'd say its completely possible to hack into it and turn it off but it's highly improbable as the info about hacking the phantom wifi is so new and it would take someone with quite a decent degree of linux knowledge.

This sounds like it might be another bad solder joint.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
This sounds like it might be another bad solder joint.

-slinger
That is why I took mine apart and checked all the joints and other connections.
Another reason why I don't fly with people around. I would not want them to see it happen.
Sorry your quad died. Bummer!

Truly sorry for your loss.... DJI will get there's once better competition enters the market to collect up all the disatisfied DJI customers. A list that seems to be steadily growing!

I was at a balloon Festival this weekend with my DSLR's. I heard the familiar sound of a Quadcopter ( I don't fly mine anymore and it sits atop a closet waiting for a offer of .50 on the dollar to go to some other sucker to experience its mechanical or flyaway). I turn and see a kid in his twenties flying a Phantom with a GoPro on it. Now it was gusting to 20 mph and not one balloon was taken out of their trailers until dust when only 5 inflated for a glow show only because the wind was so bad. This phantom had no propguards and he was flying over about 4000 men, women, and children and maybe 1700 vehicles parked in the fields. All I could think about was the what ifs as he flew. What if he lost power, what if a cold solder decided now was the time to come undone, what if today it decided to get a mind of its own and head pitched down into the vehicles or crowds. My bet is this kid did not have the million dollar policy he would need if any of these possibilities became a reality that day.

One of these scenarios can and will happen someday and people will get hurt and this activity will immediately become highly restricted. It is just a matter of time especially with DJI's recent history of poor quality, no redundancy, and less than stellar firmware. I know I am not the luckiest guy in the world so I self grounded my P2V before something does happen that I neither can explain nor afford its repercussions. Being a current owner if legislation came up in my county or State for a vote restricting the use of consumer grade quads like phantoms I seriously would in good conscience have to vote for restrictions as right now it is a not ready for primetime time technology with a horrible track record for reliability. I feel those who fly these should be required to be licensed, pass a safety course, and carry extensive liability insurance. There also needs to be a age requirement as well and flight location restrictions not only around airports but also a commons emcee approach to populated venues. I know I was not comfortable watching this kid flying one of these over me this weekend and it had noting to do with anything other than personal safety due to the what ifs that seem to be reported daily on phantom forums.

SD card was missing so I went back to the crash scene in daylight. I found it laying in the middle of the street. Now to repair the mp4 file and post the fall.

I'm just glad it didn't damage anyone elses property.

I guess the SD card is damaged. Computer won't read it. Acts like it's not even in the slot.

Sorry to hear about the crash gfredrone.

I think its the Battery..perhaps even the smart feature and data pin system...I think its a flawed design and will result in many more crashes before its fixed (if ever).

What revisions were you running ?
Was you battery level full...any warnings?

There should be a way to monitor these battery functions.
Like Geert, I clean my pins and pads every 4 or 5 flights with DeoxIT .

Thanks,

The Rookie

If anyone wants to diagnose this more. This was my first ever crash, and looks to be my last. It's basically destroyed and would take more to rebuild than it's worth. It hit the ground so hard the mainboard cracked in half and sliced into the top of the battery. Shell is also cracked.

I'm on the latest software/firmware revisions.

1. I couldn't get it to come back to me and land
2. It started off in a direction I didn't tell it to go.
3. Lights went out and it dropped from the sky. (complete power loss but battery was around 50%)
4. Crashed in middle of street props down from about 200'
5. P2V and Rotor Pixel completely destroyed

I'm calling DJI, will let you know if I get anywhere.

Some pics. SD card is damaged and won't read. So no video of the crash.

Attachments

• photo 1 (Small).JPG
    photo 1 (Small).JPG
    92 KB · Views: 467
  • photo 2 (Small).JPG
    photo 2 (Small).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 497
gfredrone said:
If anyone wants to diagnose this more. This was my first ever crash, and looks to be my last. It's basically destroyed and would take more to rebuild than it's worth. It hit the ground so hard the mainboard cracked in half and sliced into the top of the battery. Shell is also cracked.

I'm on the latest software/firmware revisions.

1. I couldn't get it to come back to me and land
2. It started off in a direction I didn't tell it to go.
3. Lights went out and it dropped from the sky. (complete power loss but battery was around 50%)
4. Crashed in middle of street props down from about 200'
5. P2V and Rotor Pixel completely destroyed

I'm calling DJI, will let you know if I get anywhere.

Two apparently unrelated concurrent failures (loss of control and then power shutdown) seem hugely improbable. I would definitely be looking for some unifying factor here.

Found the reason for the crash after pulling the top half of the shell off. Back left motor wires solder detached from mainboard. Not sure if it's from the crash or not but the main power wires are also detached from the main board.

DJI won't cover under warranty because it had a third party gimbal attached thus voiding the warranty. Telling the truth never helps.

It happened to me too a month ago.

It just fell from 10m high, luckily it landed on the grass and brock only one proppeller.

Still don´t know why it happened! ;((

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20