Military Operation Area

Reaction score
Looked the area around my place in NH on the guardian. This is what I got, it says this whole area is a military operations area... what does that mean? To fly or not to fly? Anyone know?
40f1ec978aabf654010af1dc0c8422f0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

According to Skyvector, that area is the Yankee 1/2 MOA; the NY sectional says Yankee 1 starts at 9000 feet AGL, but Yankee 2 starts at just 100 feet, which I gotta say is pretty **** low for a MOA, but hey if they want to be that low, so be it. Anyway, looks like you might be out of luck unless you can petition Boston Center for an exception.

Military operations areas (MOAs) are available to flight without authorization to hobby fliers and Part 107 pilots. You should consider contacting flight service to find out if the MOA is active, but otherwise, use caution and watch for high speed military operations.

Thank you. That's great to know. It's such a huge area I couldn't believe it would be off limits to flight.

This is one of those cases where size doesn't matter. A restricted area could be just as large, but if it is active you may not operate inside of it (without an authorization you probably won't get). So you really need to know how to identify MOAs and Restricted Areas on a sectional chart.

MOAs always exist. They may be hot or cold (active or inactive), but they don't go away. You can look up general times for operations, but they may go hot or cold at any time.

Hi, new to this group, is that an okay spot. I'm still working on my 107 right now.

Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20