Might be opening a can of worms but...

Reaction score
Ok. I got to thinking today. When the FPV transmits video via Wi-Fi to your phone, it does this because it has been specifically designed to do it. A network is created, each device has an address, a "router" tells all the data where to go, and software uses that data for what it was designed.

If all that is possible, what is to stop us from streaming the video to the internet? Through the magic of Fing, here is what our networks are:

http://imgur.com/FVUVowM

192.168.1.2 is the Range Extender
192.168.1.235 is my iPhone

192.168.1.10 is unknown. Here is the services data http://imgur.com/46iEux2
192.168.1.1 is also unknown but it supports more services http://imgur.com/KGEkeko which I am betting is the Phantom's Wi-Fi because of the remote login.

Perhaps 192.168.1.10 is the camera? Im asking because if the Phantom's Wi-Fi allows remote login (which makes sense because that's what the phone needs to do to display the FPV) doesn't it stand to reason that as long as the phone's 4G and Wi-Fi networks can be bridged together, I should be able to remote login to my phone from the internet and view a live stream?

Am I crazy? Do we have any Webdudes out there that can tear this down for us?

Phantom has no connection to the internet, your best bet would be to have an app that streams your entire phone screen to the internet via 3G. You then pull up the vision app and that will be streamed to the internet service.

don't think you will have much luck via iOS apps, however android may have something for this.

The Phantom Vision 3

- 4G LTE Unlimited Range HD FPV
- 4K Camera
- 28 MP Stills
- Rotorless Hoverboard Technology :lol:

rostov007 said:
Ok. I got to thinking today. When the FPV transmits video via Wi-Fi to your phone, it does this because it has been specifically designed to do it. A network is created, each device has an address, a "router" tells all the data where to go, and software uses that data for what it was designed.

If all that is possible, what is to stop us from streaming the video to the internet? Through the magic of Fing, here is what our networks are:

http://imgur.com/FVUVowM

192.168.1.2 is the Range Extender
192.168.1.235 is my iPhone

192.168.1.10 is unknown. Here is the services data http://imgur.com/46iEux2
192.168.1.1 is also unknown but it supports more services http://imgur.com/KGEkeko which I am betting is the Phantom's Wi-Fi because of the remote login.

Perhaps 192.168.1.10 is the camera? Im asking because if the Phantom's Wi-Fi allows remote login (which makes sense because that's what the phone needs to do to display the FPV) doesn't it stand to reason that as long as the phone's 4G and Wi-Fi networks can be bridged together, I should be able to remote login to my phone from the internet and view a live stream?

Am I crazy? Do we have any Sysops out there that can tear this down for us?
Remote login capability to ones smartphone is independent of the phantom and range extender; therefore any capability that would allow you to see the screen of your smart phone remotely (i.e. Logmein type app) would of course all you to see the video or whatever else is on your screen... of course bandwidth and virtualizing that screen would cause for serious lag and choppiness that it wouldn't even be worth it. If you want to stream the video data directly and not virtualize the screen... well that would technically be feasible; however, DJI would have to program that feature into the app and also setup a 'portal' or website with special login credentials established for one to log into and see their live video... the app would handoff the data to the portal using your 3G or 4G data connection... this is all possible... just requires a lot of programming. This would be the more efficient way of streaming the data to reduce the lag that would be inherent in a virtualized screen solution. So yes, it's definitely a can of worms!!! haha

rostov007 said:

Am I crazy? Do we have any Sysops out there that can tear this down for us?

Im getting
192.168.1.128 as the camera wifi IP
192.168.1.1 Gateway

Not sure what you mean about logging into your phone from the internet to view the live stream... your phone would have to receive the video over wifi ... translate it into some sort of accessable/viewable format... and then rebroadcast it over 4G?

Sounds like a lot to do from our little devices that can barely keep up with the 640x480 30fps incoming stream and show it live onscreen without problems :|

srandall25 said:
Remote login capability to ones smartphone is independent of the phantom and range extender; therefore any capability that would allow you to see the screen of your smart phone remotely (i.e. Logmein type app) would of course all you to see the video or whatever else is on your screen... of course bandwidth and virtualizing that screen would cause for serious lag and choppiness that it wouldn't even be worth it. If you want to stream the video data directly and not virtualize the screen... well that would technically be feasible; however, DJI would have to program that feature into the app and also setup a 'portal' or website with special login credentials established for one to log into and see their live video... the app would handoff the data to the portal using your 3G or 4G data connection... this is all possible... just requires a lot of programming. This would be the more efficient way of streaming the data to reduce the lag that would be inherent in a virtualized screen solution. So yes, it's definitely a can of worms!!! haha

That is absolutely what I had in mind. Things like dropcam are already doing it. The difference here is that the camera itself is isolated on its own network that the outside world can't see. In my prior job I worked in IP addressable cameras so as long as the router they were connected to was port forwarded to the camera, remote view was possible. So that is the secret, how can one port forward a phone. Me thinks AT&T would resist it and it does have security implications but my iPhone is deactivated and dedicated to the phantom so for me it isn't an issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4