Midtown Atlanta resident has privacy concerns after seeing drone outside high-rise

The video they show shows a Phantom quite some distance from the building.
No way it was spying on anything.
People who wouldn't know better get the strong message that drones are creepy things that are used to spy on you.
And the more they hear it, the more they believe it.
Her window would have only been 1 or 2 pixels in any pic it could have taken.
Just an urban Phantom owner doing a night flight.

It's stories like this that perpetuate the ridiculous myth that drones could be used for spying.
The journalists are completely ignorant of the facts but won't let that get in the way of a good story.

The woman probably has no concerns about people in other high-rise buildings nearby and what they can see of her from their windows.
But a drone 100 feet away .. that's something to be feared, and it could only have been spying on her.

Exactly, didn't have time to explain how you can't see anything with the camera setup on these "drones". She needs to be more worried about the perv with the telescope a block over than the drone.

the distance that the quadcopter was was not a breach in privacy. a telescope into a window is a breach of privacy. will she ask for regulations against telescopes and binoculars as well? No one wants to see you from that far away. if the quadcopter was right outside her window, that is getting into her privacy but that was as far away as a whole block away. ridiculous

I guess this makes for a good story especially since the news nuts have to power to sway public opinion based on the often false and negative reporting. People that know nothing about the hobby will suddenly have a negative opinion based on stories like this made to induce fear in people. Absolutely irresponsible as they clearly have no idea what they are reporting and will convey a false message to many people.

agree there is no way this drone can get a good spy picture...but for some reason, most people believe that we fly just to spy others...which , at least in my case, is totally wrong... I fly for fun.. I would say that 90% of the times somebody reaches me when I am flying my phantom in an open space, they ask: are you practicing to spy with your drone??

The only way to change these news stories is to write their sponsors and complain. I am going to start writing and tweeting the advertisers and let them know that as a UAV hobbyist I am offended.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/midtown-resident-has-privacy-concerns-after-seeing/nmJs2/

Looks like a Phantom... Regulations are coming because of people like this, and I'm not talking about the phantom operator.
They should also outlaw telescopes too. However, I do not endorse urban flying.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/midtown-resident-has-privacy-concerns-after-seeing/nmJs2/

Looks like a Phantom... Regulations are coming because of people like this, and I'm not talking about the phantom operator.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj