Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Yup i also check values before every take off and after every landing, value of compass, barometer, interference, battery cells before, and about every 2 minutes into each flight...I wonder what caused the issue i add..
Can you (or anyone) post a screen capture of a screen showing the "proper " compass values, and maybe one that is NOT correct?
And remind me how to access that screen?
My P3 is in the shop so I can't plug in & look for it right now.
Thx

Can you (or anyone) post a screen capture of a screen showing the "proper " compass values, and maybe one that is NOT correct?
And remind me how to access that screen?
My P3 is in the shop so I can't plug in & look for it right now.
Thx
Compass Sensors2.jpgCompass Sensors1.jpg

I got it today. Firmware 1.3. Never had it before for 250 km's of flight.

Specifics - took off near a high voltage traf. But there was no compass error prior to taking off. I did take off roughly - fast up and forward. Got the error mid air. Took it home safely.

But I totally see how this can be a phantom lost if one flies out of range for any reason and the the P goes into atti mode instead or home.

Correct those appear to be pretty darn low... the sweet spot is about 1500

I got it today. Firmware 1.3. Never had it before for 250 km's of flight.

Specifics - took off near a high voltage traf. But there was no compass error prior to taking off. I did take off roughly - fast up and forward. Got the error mid air. Took it home safely.

But I totally see how this can be a phantom lost if one flies out of range for any reason and the the P goes into atti mode instead or home.

Because the base value changed too fast more than likely. (from ground to air)

But if that was a possibility, I should have gotten "magnetic fueld too strong" prior to take off.

Hmmm. Have they decreased the treshold in 1.3 in order to make the error appear less often; but yet created a new issue?

i got a compass error too yesterday when i switched it on i had just done the calabration the day before after installing the update, i was shocked when i saw it and thought something was wrong, but i did it again and it flew great with no problems.

Reactions: Bateman233
Detecting compass errors is not easy. A mod value helps but it can oscillate within a normal range for a number of reasons. One way to do it is measure heading against angular velocity but it is not foolproof.

Is everyone that is having this problem on the new firmware 1.3, really hope this is not a another new problem. Wish they would stop bringing out new aircraft and just get the ones they have made to work properly. I thought we had finally got a good firmware until i read this thread and now i have a bad feeling about this. I have had compass errors at low altitude before near metal but never mid flight up high, now that is a real worry cos i fly faaaar.
I had the exact same issue that OP described...almost lost my bird.

I got this compass error for the first time on my P3 today too, on my second flight using the 1.3 firmware. i find it kinda odd.

Calibrated on a grass patch in an open area, took off and flew about 10m away at a 5m altitude and soon I saw the green lights turn to yellow.

Experienced this on my P2 before so I didn't panic and calmly controlled it. This temporary bump to atti mode was resolved with a GPS lock again just after approximately 6 seconds. That's why i said this is really weird.

Originally I thought I might have some RF interference that could have led to this compass error because I flew in the direction of some dudes playing with RC boats somewhat 15m away from where I took off.
Had the exact same experience with my bird a few days ago on the new firmware. Kept switching into Atti mode and then back into GPS really quickly. The bird was going all over the place in Atti mode. Barely got the bird back down in one piece.

Im at over 200 flights on my P3, i`ve add compass error dropout in average every 30 flights it happen mostly if i dont wait 20 sec after take-off and or randomly mid flight, i've no problem flying in atti mode, BUT 2 flight ago, i was filming a house close to a lake and after my usual POI flight over and arround the house, a Sea-Doo passed by on the lake and it looked to me like a great ending for the video i was producing, so i started chassing the said seadoo, it was a sunset, the sun add huge reflection on the lake, space weather was calm, no wire or antenna in the next 1 mile at least, 10-15KM wind over the lake, last time i callibrated compass was weeks ago and it always fly flawlessly, when suddenly i add compass error dropout, BUT this time it looks like i also add partial lost of control of my craft, Gyroscope went nuts, Barometer also, the craft and gimbal were banking abnormally, i was sudenlly gaining speed in random direction and loosing altitude because banking angle was to high, I was able to put the throttle to the max and guide the craft back over land, once over land i gained back proper control, and landed, resseted craft checked all sensors, reviewed footage, rebooted and did the rest of the shot over land only...But i wonder what could of caused me to get such abnormal lost of Compass and Gyro, at same time.. ???
Now im in bed but later maybe i can get flight log and upload it here+video recording...
Would you know what could of caused this ?
Had the exact same experience with my P3 on current firmware a few days ago. I almost wasn't able to recover.

Yesterday I had exactly the same above a corn field, it quickly switchs between p-atti and p-opt. after a scarry two minutes it was back on p-gps and a i was able to land safely.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439497236.491979.jpg

It wanted to make a pretzel that's all

That's what I was going to say!

I wonder why Blade Strike don't comment about that issue...?

Blade often has to reply to more people than he can keep track of. That said, looks like he's already replied on this thread. If you have an issue, it's better to start your own thread or reach out to him directly.

Ian, would it be at all possible for dji to calm the compass down a bit with a firmware, or am I right in thinking that if they wanted to tweak it down a bit then it would need to be new hardware for the compass in a new craft. My thoughts and hopes were the P3 v2 will have a much better compass and hopefully coming soon, we can't be that far of now it's been 5 months so maybe another month of.

I would guess it's >10Hz. Even with a high refresh rate, you still can't overcome GPS accuracy limitations. If you can guarantee <1m accuracy with little to no wind, you could do it in conjunction with the gyro.

I believe that you could still accomplish enough accuracy to get it headed it the right general direction while correcting itself slightly over time...maybe using the gyro as an aid as you said.

At >10 Hz, that's plenty for what it has to do. After all, this isn't a balancing robot that is going to fall over within seconds. It can hover at a safe altitude while it tries a few things. The gps accuracy is the bigger issue, but you could still get it to come back to the general area of home.

Have it try a direction for, say, 3 seconds, then do some math make an adjustment, then 3 more seconds of flight and so on.

I'm thinking the main use for this feature would be long distance flights where you may not be able to put your eyes on it...especially if fpv goes out. Once you see it coming back into view, take over in atti.

Count me in the same boat. Went out to fly tonight and I got the dreaded compass error. Copter went wonky everywhere and took it down in atti. Calibrated... took it back up... few minutes later same thing. Moved location back to my usual and got the same error.

I have to believe it cannot be coincidence that all these people are seeing this result all the sudden.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1