Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

All I've gotten was a weak signal indicator at about 325 ft after the update. Never got that before. Not sure if that's the same thing.

I see what your saying ian. Does seem a few more reports of it tho, we will know if its a firmware problem in a week or so i guess. Hope not. Can you shed any light on my error problem i have on my error 42 thread.

I got this compass error for the first time on my P3 today too, on my second flight using the 1.3 firmware. i find it kinda odd.

Calibrated on a grass patch in an open area, took off and flew about 10m away at a 5m altitude and soon I saw the green lights turn to yellow.

Experienced this on my P2 before so I didn't panic and calmly controlled it. This temporary bump to atti mode was resolved with a GPS lock again just after approximately 6 seconds. That's why i said this is really weird.

Originally I thought I might have some RF interference that could have led to this compass error because I flew in the direction of some dudes playing with RC boats somewhat 15m away from where I took off.

Yea I had it once on 1.8 but I was taking of from a sea wall so you can understand that, I only updated to try and rid one old problem, hope I havnt added another. LOL

Guys

The gps mode degradation is there for a reason. Like others have posted without a valid reading bad things can happen in gps mode. So when the logic detects this it drops down into a pure atti mode.

I have only seen this when I push the craft hard right after take off. It usually recovers in a few seconds.

I don't know about you but I would rather have it do this than have a fly a way type scenario.

I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today. I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.

Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode. I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.

No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before. I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight. I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel
Hello there,
Do you fly with your compass lock or unlocked...???...!!! ;-)

Is everyone that is having this problem on the new firmware 1.3, really hope this is not a another new problem. Wish they would stop bringing out new aircraft and just get the ones they have made to work properly. I thought we had finally got a good firmware until i read this thread and now i have a bad feeling about this. I have had compass errors at low altitude before near metal but never mid flight up high, now that is a real worry cos i fly faaaar.

I am still flying with 1.1.9...

Yea I was this time 24 hours ago and then I got all brave after 8 cans after a bbq, stayed up until 2 last night updating, calibrating,compass dancing, and then woke up this morning with a head ach and went down to flight club only to find I got another one. Lol

Definitely an issue with this new firmware. I have logged about 15 perfect flights on the previous firmware. And now the first 2 flights have had compass errors at altitude. Just a few minutes ago, was hovering at about 350 ft and I noticed the fpv starting to go a little wonky. It started yawing and pitching weirdly without me touching the sticks. Just slightly though. Then, within the next few seconds...compass error, switching to atti. I have never had a crash or even a rough landing. Nothing physical about the aircraft has changed. Firmware. Is there a way to upload logs or something so someone can see something useful from them?

Also calibrated IMU immediately updating firmware a few days ago and again before this flight. I always calibrate compass.

Last edited:
I had this problem and was able to bring it in with no issues. I redid my IMU and haven't had the problem since after 10 flights. Make sure you put your P3 on an air vent in your house for 10 minutes prior as my IMU was done at end of day and every successive flight was a painful 2 minute IMU warmup period.
same as me, i redid the compass calibration every time i take off from diff places. i warm up the craft, after that I recalibrate then i armed the motors. during flight my app always crashed...so what i did i disconnect the usb and reopen app. after that i connect the usb to phone. this way i get good video feedback and less APP crashes.

There were compass errors reported before 1.3. Unlikely to be the cause.

I also have a intermittent compass error
I start up in middle of field says compass error, try compass dance no good, try 4 more times no good, cycle off on 3 times still says it
$%^# I take off it drifts like in atti for about 30 seconds then it goes back to normal fine rest of weekend
then the other day does it again cycle off on 2 times goes away runs fine all day
I don't know perplexing but the firmware not the issue have had it through 2 updates now.
Thinking maybe a bad compass but Ive seen it happen on both my birds at different times

Guys

The gps mode degradation is there for a reason. Like others have posted without a valid reading bad things can happen in gps mode. So when the logic detects this it drops down into a pure atti mode.

I have only seen this when I push the craft hard right after take off. It usually recovers in a few seconds.

I don't know about you but I would rather have it do this than have a fly a way type scenario.
yes come to think about it I have seen it many times right after a quick 30ft or so shot up

In a compass error GPS navigation is afected and you could have a flighaway.
To prevent that GPS mode is disabled because GPS mode needs compass to navigate.....
I disagree. GPS navigation does not require compass.
Disabling GPS is the thing that causes the flyaway.

Think about it like this: the craft knows its current position. Even if it does not know its compass orientation, it could navigate relative to its previous position. While the algorithm may require converging to a true orientation, it would be much better at hovering, than no GPS at all.

This and other threads, show where the next improvement dji needs to make: better orientation sensors that stay reliable without needing recalibration.

I'm still using 1.1.9 and older ver of the Pilot App (Android). Happened to me recently. Calibrated the compass just prior to the flight. The only thing I can think of is it was the warmest out that I've flown. I usually fly early morning or evenings. Just wondering if the increase of these incidents can be attributed to hotter flying temps?

I disagree. GPS navigation does not require compass.
Disabling GPS is the thing that causes the flyaway.

Think about it like this: the craft knows its current position. Even if it does not know its compass orientation, it could navigate relative to its previous position. While the algorithm may require converging to a true orientation, it would be much better at hovering, than no GPS at all.

This and other threads, show where the next improvement dji needs to make: better orientation sensors that stay reliable without needing recalibration.

Sorry but you're 100% wrong.. without a compass the craft can't fly in gps mode..This is what causes a flyaway, the system listening to bad compass data.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
Sorry but you're 100% wrong.. without a compass the craft can't fly in gps mode..This is what causes a flyaway, the system listening to bad compass data.

I agree. I believe the GPS looks at current position latitude and longitude, compares it to where it needs to be, derives a compass degree of heading to achieve that and sends that info to the motors.

If you have erroneous compass info and the quad didn't realize it, it would start flying on a specific heading thinking it was achieving what it needed to do, only, never achieving it's destination GPS coordinates, continuing on and causing a fly away.

So, some discretion is definitely needed to determine if the compass info is indeed accurate. Which is what I've been experiencing. The quad realizes something is wrong with the data and prompts me to switch to atti.

Problem is, why is the compass giving bad data spontaneously like this?

Pretty unnerving.

Especially when people have been apparently experiencing it with different firmware. Personally, I have only experienced it with the newest. I may try going back to the previous and see if it happens again.

So, where do we go with this? To determine the root cause I mean?

Taking my dji hat off....

Imho, people calibrating their compass at every time they fly is probably the root cause for this.

Once you have a solid compass calibration, no need do it again. Unless you travel a few hundred miles or apply a firmware update.

You have to remember some soil has a high amount of metals in it.. not saying that's the cause but just because you're in an open field doesn't mean much.

So what I do is calibrate my compass and if it's a solid calibration I leave it, period.

Dji hat back on....

I'll add my $0.02 on this:

The compass is indeed an essential component to GPS navigation as blade pointed out. The compass is also the most vulnerable to interference. This is why it sits on its own on the landing gear. That interference can take many forms.

Making sure the compass is calibrated properly and kept away from interference are two of the most important things you can do to safeguard your flight. This cannot be emphasized enough. And as blade said, calibrating every flight is NOT the answer.

Like what? DJI is using off-the-shelf MEMS components. The compass is the only MEMS component to provide absolute orientation reference to the Earth. If you've got a better idea as to what they should use, I'd love to hear it.

My only gripe and it's a big one with the P3 compass, is that while it shares the same compass safety feature as the inspire in order to prevent flyaways, the 2 inspire pilots at out club have never had one compass error thrown. There are 3 of us flying P3's and we have all had them while trying to take of near the club house about 10 to 15 Mtrs away, while we were trying these take of points and testing in order to see if P3's were safe to fly at our club, one inspire pilot took of about ten times getting closer and closer each time and he ended up taking of a Mtr away with not one compass error. Now anyone flying a P3 has to take of from a dedicated helipad at the other end for safety reasons of course. This testing we did the other month has made me believe the P3 compass is more sensitive than that of its big brother the inspire.

I to have had the same error. It started happening after I enabled IOC & multiple flight mode. Anyway, I recalibrated the compass and the P3 flew fine. On my next battery it gave me the same error so I recalibrated and everything was OK. I just hope I don't have to recalibrate after every single flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik