Microraptor Backpack

Reaction score
I've been using the Microraptor backpack for three months and I am very happy with it. The quality is superb and the carrying capacity is excellent.
Having a bit of a lazy streak, I wanted a backpack that was big enough to allow me to put the P3 in without removing the props. I also prefer a backpack to a hard case because of the weight difference. Backpacks are a lot lighter, and it gives me the option of carrying it on a motorcycle.
M backpack.JPG

The Microraptor has plenty of storage for extra props, batteries, charger, Tx, and tablet or phone. But it also has two additional pockets on the outside. One of which is large enough to hold a full size iPad.
M backpack 06.JPG

M backpack 01.JPG

Another quality that I looked for when shopping for backpacks was open space in the main compartment. Since I always fly with a Carbon Fiber Camera/Gimbal Guard I didn't want any extra case padding that would get in the way. And I didn't want the hassle of removing it every time.
M backpack 02.JPG
In addition to the padded backpack straps, there are handy carrying handles on three sides and it also comes with a detachable shoulder sling.

M backpack 03.JPG M backpack 04.JPG M backpack 08.JPG M backpack 09.JPG
My only criticism of the Microraptor backpack is that it only comes in one color, olive drab. But I have to admit, the color has kinda grown on me.

They sent me one in both colors back in May. I'm not sure when they were first available to the public though.

Yes, that's a nice backpack. I also prefer using a backpack for hiking and biking. I just wish they would have redone the insert a little to be within the 20x14x9 limit for airline carry on. They decided to reuse their hardcase insert which is too long.

Someday a clever designer will design a compact backpack within the 20x14x9 airline limit that stores the Phantom with two props installed, good 1000 Denier materials, and pockets on the outside. I too would like to minimize prop installation, but minimal size and weight of the backpack are more important to me.

Last edited:
Their website lists the dimensions as 24x15x9, but mine actually measures 22.5x13.5x9 if I don't overstuff it with goodies.
I haven't tried taking it with me on the airlines yet. I do see a lot of people with oversized carry-ons. It would be nice if it would collapse down to 20" with the props taken off.

Their website lists the dimensions as 24x15x9, but mine actually measures 22.5x13.5x9 if I don't overstuff it with goodies.
I haven't tried taking it with me on the airlines yet. I do see a lot of people with oversized carry-ons. It would be nice if it would collapse down to 20" with the props taken off.
If it's only 22.5" long you can likely get away with that on most airlines. 24" would be stretching your luck. Thanks for the head up on the exact measurements, I'll be keeping this one in mind. I already have the Microraptor hard case, so I know how the insert looks, it's apparent they reused the same insert.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20