Micro SD Cards?

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I appreciated the fast reply on my last question so I thought I'd ask this one. I really appreciate the knowledge here, thank you.

Can anyone tell me how many Micro SD cards are needed for the Phantom 3 Professional? I see slots on the pictures of the Quads but have no idea how many cards are required and what they're for.

Thank you for any help on this folks.

Bud

Just one card. One slot. They shoot in 4K so get a big one.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have been using the 64GB GB Sandisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Cards for 6 months on P3P with no issues.
IMG_0496.JPG

Last edited:
Get a U3 card of at least 64gb. I use PNY, San Disk and Samsung. Be sure to get one that says U with a 3 inside it. Your looking for fast transfer speeds... somewhere in the 80 to 90 range.

Can anyone tell me how many Micro SD cards are needed for the Phantom 3 Professional? I see slots on the pictures of the Quads but have no idea how many cards are required and what they're for.
Although getting the biggest SD card is a popular option with forum members, it's not a very good idea.
I remember reading of a "pro" shooting a music video with his Inspire on a boat off Miami.
He was one of those get-the-biggest- SD-card guys because bigger is always better?
He had been shooting all day and and at the end of the eighth flight when bringing his inspire in, it hit an outrigger pole on the game boat he was using for a camera boat.
The Inspire went straight down in a busy shipping channel with his whole day's work on his expensive high capacity SD card.
He was disappointed about the Inspire but more concerned about the work he'd lost.

You only need about 8-10 GB to hold a whole flight of full 4K video or over 3000 jpg photos.
It makes a lot more sense to have several 16GB cards and swap out between flights so that you don't risk losing precious work every time you fly.
i-Cwd27g9-L.jpg

Although getting the biggest SD card is a popular option with forum members, it's not a very good idea.
I remember reading of a "pro" shooting a music video with his Inspire on a boat off Miami.
He was one of those get-the-biggest- SD-card guys because bigger is always better?
He had been shooting all day and and at the end of the eighth flight when bringing his inspire in, it hit an outrigger pole on the game boat he was using for a camera boat.
The Inspire went straight down in a busy shipping channel with his whole day's work on his expensive high capacity SD card.
He was disappointed about the Inspire but more concerned about the work he'd lost.

You only need about 8-10 GB to hold a whole flight of full 4K video or over 3000 jpg photos.
It makes a lot more sense to have several 16GB cards and swap out between flights so that you don't risk losing precious work every time you fly.
i-Cwd27g9-L.jpg
You bring up some good points and that does make sense for people who are using it as a work tool or if you fly over water a lot. Nice case.

Myself, I fly for fun. I don't change out the card until I am done for the day. If I should lose it in water I have a water retrieval device as long as it doesn't dive into more than 100' of water. Bodies of water I am concerned with around me are lakes and I don't do distance runs so my flights are near the shoreline. In my situation, I also buy cards to multi task, I use them in more than just my Phantoms. I suppose its a matter of different strokes for different folks. :D

Get a U3 card of at least 64gb. I use PNY, San Disk and Samsung. Be sure to get one that says U with a 3 inside it. Your looking for fast transfer speeds... somewhere in the 80 to 90 range.

Does the Phantom support the high read/write speeds?

Regards, Jim

Im in the meta4 school of thought re investing in several smaller capacity cards. If doing multiple flights i will change out the card every time i land and stick the just flown card into a portable HD with a card slot. If i loose the bird or a card fails i havent lost all my media for the day. Another advantage is it is much faster to plug the portable drive in to USB3 to transfer to the computer. I can also connect my ipad, phone or laptop to the portable drive by wifi in the field and review video/images

A couple or even 3 of the 16gb memory cards cost the same as a 64gb.

I have a couple 64gb cards for my dash cam and gopro but I like the 32 or 16gb cards to swap out if an accident happens. Like the member above stated.

Also some members on here need to remember that not everyone shoots in 4k. Because their computer can't handle 4k or they don't have tv that can play 4k.. not everyone buys a pro for 4k

Also I believe 64gb is the biggest card you can use on the phantom. Not sure tho so will need to verify.

If I try to view a 4k Video on a 1080p Samsung Smart TV, won't it just show it on the screen as 1080p instead of 4K?

Bud

Large SD cards are a bad idea (coming from a TV & Video university student) as like someone mentioned above you can loose a whole day's work from a crash or even the SD card corrupting (which happens more than you think) 16GB is perfect for drone footage because if you only have one battery the battery will die before you even fill up 16GB of footage.

One SD card for one battery another for your second battery therefore if your drone was to crash or your SD goes corrupt you still have footage from the day.

Also stay away from SANDISK on eBay... They are the biggest FAKED SD cards out there! Be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So the general census is sticking to 16gbs or 32gb's and swapping out at battery changes. Thats understandable. But does it matter if its a U1 or U3 card?

P3P 4K video = 60 Mb/s = 7.5 MB/s = 450 MB/min = ~0,44 GB/min

P3P max flying time plus some = 30 min

30 minutes of video = ~0,44 GB/min x 30 min = 13 GB

So a 16GB is more than enough for one battery.

...after one year I still have only one battery and one 16GB SD card. I might soon get more of those. If there is not much price difference between 16/32/64 GB cards I might get a 32 or even a 64 GB card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik