Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Micro lights.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simonb3526, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Simonb3526

I was flying on the beach today. I live near practically empty beaches so safe and easy to fly. Was up about 80m and a microlight came out of nowhere. He was really low, thankfully he came above me and my p3p was way out over the water but it could have been close. I fly under 400 foot but so do these guys by the look of it. Do these micro lights need atc clearance? Are they allowed so low?

2. IrishSights

It depends on the class of airspace he is flying in and if he is in a ATZ. Its up to you to get out of his way fast being a manned aircraft no matter how low he is. I found over coastal areas and mudflats they do fly low. If the airport/club is close where he took off from its a good idea to make yourself known to them including telling them you will be flying in their vicinity on the day. Be friendly!

3. Simonb3526

Well my gf works at the airport and I have a friend in atc. Did a height test once and cleared it with them first. Down the flying club next week so will have a chat with them. I dropped height as a precocial but seems to take an age to descend when you want to. May look at taking my pilots licence next year so look out for a video of me flying the drone from a light aircraft.......follow me function!