MIA permission? Calle Ocho festival aerials within 5 miles

Reaction score
Have $5 FAA license.
Fly Begin-Mode only, within 100ft range.
Want to take some aerial still shots of upcoming festival;
(but never flying directly over groups of people)

Can I get permission by calling MIA?
What dept. would I call?
Is it simple yes-no or filling out of forms?
Is it possible for this major one day festival
there is "blanket" easing of 5-mile rule...?
Thanks in advance.

You will be in controlled airspace, without your part 107 certificate and FAA pre-authorization you will not be able to fly. Further more, if I am correct about the festival location I do not think your DJI product will even take off - your motors may not even start.

Thanks for response.
Very interesting about motors not starting.
Due to...?:
a. being within 5 miles of major airport?
b. being within 5 miles of ANY airport?
c. (a) or (b) + being in Begin-Mode?
d. other?
Thanks in advance.

It would be welcomed that anti-engine-start prevents me
(newbie)
from mistakenly flying within 5 miles of airports!!!

If you are truly in a No Fly Zone your bird will not even start. You will need to apply for and receive an airspace authorization (if you are Part 107) and provide this documentation to the DJI Fly Safe team so they can unlock that area for you. You can consult this map to see if you will be in a no-fly area: DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones.

MIA is definitely in a no fly area but it depends if you will be inside the circle, which I have personally found to be inaccurate after recently going through this entire process myself.

> MIA is definitely in a no fly area but it depends if you will be inside the circle, which I have personally found to be inaccurate

Thanks for response -- DJI map at your link absolutely inaccurate
as circle diameter appears to be only ~2 miles, not 5 miles.
If there is no such thing as big event easing of 5 mile rule,
I have no interest in seeking special permission...
But I 'd like to know specifically what triggers no-engine-on
& can I rely on it to know I'm NOT within 5 miles???

You need to approach this issue in a different way.

First your $5 FAA registration is just that, a registration. It is not a license.

If you are wanting to take pictures at the festival in furtherance of a business or in hopes of providing them to a commercial endeavor, than you will need an FAA Part 107 certification. Takes a few weeks and a minimum of $150 exam fee.

Then you can worry about the airspace.

Reactions: InforGuy
> MIA is definitely in a no fly area but it depends if you will be inside the circle, which I have personally found to be inaccurate

But I 'd like to know specifically what triggers no-engine-on
???

Answer: As soon as you boot up and get a GPS signal your bird knows where it is located, and thus if within a No-Fly zone the firmware DJI has implemented will not allow the motors to even be started.

Furthermore:
You are also missing my original point which maybe I was not clear enough. Whether or not your motors will start you are still in controlled airspace from the surface to 7,000 feet. Look at this chart and you can see the class B airspace (blue solid line) starts from the surface and goes to 7,000 feet and extends all the way down to Coral Gabels... you are definitely inside of that and will need permission, whether 107 certified or hobbyist.
MiamiChart.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31