Methods to hold Phantom 3 flying a straight line?

Reaction score
Hi all. Some advice or suggestions needed.
Yesterday I was shooting stills and video for a school. The web people asked for some pan and tracking shots along the front of the school and over the property.
As with many urban schools, there were houses across the street, overhanging trees and a line of small trees near the curb the length of the property.
I planned on using Course Lock to do some of this so I could lock the bird on a line parallel to the school so I could rotate the camera (drone) to face the school and do long tracking shots.
The idea was sound, but in practice I found that I wasn't just pushing the left stick forward or back, but kept veering it slightly to the right or left so although it held its forward movement, it would creep towards the school or trees.
I know here are some accessory products that help keep the stick on a line. Or maybe there's a technique for doing this.

How do you (whoever actually does this) keep flying on a line when its critical to do so?

Also I need to slow down my rotation I forgot which setting will do that.

You could fly a waypoint mission in DJI GO or use a program that offers a zipline feature (like Autopilot).

Reactions: Nico Tine
I use Course Lock all of the time and it works fine as advertised.

(Stick Mode 2 assumed): If you start by pushing the throttle (right stick for me) forward, then doing all of your other movements with the left stick, all you have to do is keep from moving the right stick. I haven't had a drifting problem because I managed to not move that stick. It might just take some practice, in an empty field by yourself before you go to any such event.

After-market products, such as those that overlay a rubber-band like control, just makes stick movements smoother. I don't recall seeing anything that would keep the stick from being moved at all.

You could also program in 2 waypoints and fly from one to the other. You should be able to rotate the craft while it is en route. Be sure to fly the route first without filming or rotating, just to be sure it's a clear route before you use it for filming; because while filming, you may take your eyes off the craft and focus more on the FPV device.

Or use a spotter to watch your craft to avoid crashes.

Chris

Reactions: DronerLee
Also I need to slow down my rotation I forgot which setting will do that.
IMG_5126.PNG
In Advanced settings if that's what you mean.

Advanced settings- which item in particular is for rotation?

And waypoints is the idea- but you still have to fly it manually first.
And , yes, because I was looking at the screen is why I inadvertently pushed the stick not quite straight.
Hence my question here in the first place.....

And waypoints is the idea- but you still have to fly it manually first.
True, but it uses GPS for positioning. So, the route your Phantom flies will be more consistent.

Watch this video by Tom's Tech. That screen shot is not the way to do it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. Good stuff.
Tom has some good informative vids. I have my sticks extended but probably could do them longer.
And I thought I'd made some adjustments to the other stick settings- but maybe after the firmware update everything got reset to defaults.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan