Metal quick release locks for Phantom 4

Reaction score
IMG_0096.JPG
I found these on Standard-Tec.com. Anyone use them? Experiences? They are for the P1,2,3 so they can accept the P4 blades but the locks should work the same on the P4 I would think. They are also made from metal so they might not be as fragile as the stock plastics

There is an older thread around here somewhere discussing metal prop mounting hardware that is sold for the P4. Not a single person reported having any issues with the stock plastic parts. The general consensus was that it made no sense to convert to the metal mounting hubs for a host of reasons.

If anything, I feel I'd be adding weight to the aircraft unnecessarily. Every ounce counts.

Not a single user has ever reported issue with the stock plastic mount, even after crashes.

The automotive industry spends hundred of thousands of dollars a year on development and testing. At some point they started replacing engine covers, radiators, etc., with plastic made material instead of metal in an effort to improve gas mileage. The less weight the better the gas mieleage.

DJI has a slew of about 700 engineers (Desing - Electrical - Mechanical to mention a few), dedicated to the development and testing of new designs. It would not surprise me if at one point in the early stages of the design of the Phantom metal quick release was considered an option. Perhaps during testing it was discovered that "metal" quick release locks adds more weight resulting in more battery consumption = less flight time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: jogforfitness
If anything, I feel I'd be adding weight to the aircraft unnecessarily. Every ounce counts.

DJI has a slew of about 700 engineers (Desing - Electrical - Mechanical to mention a few), dedicated to the development and testing of new designs. It would not surprise me if at one point in the early stages of the design of the Phantom metal quick release was considered an option. Perhaps during testing it was discovered that "metal" quick release locks adds more weight resulting in more battery consumption = less flight time.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Only playing devils advocate here. But, it may also be cheaper to produce plastic rather than the metal parts. That may have been a priority as well. But, if what's in place is working without issue, why change?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Only playing devils advocate here. But, it may also be cheaper to produce plastic rather than the metal parts. That may have been a priority as well. But, if what's in place is working without issue, why change?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks for the responses. Why change? My thinking was, a $30 part that could save me $1200 in crash damages might be worth the cost in weight. If weight or a little less flight time is the only drawback, it might be good insurance.

Before I pull the trigger, I was just wanting to do some research on people's experiences or lack of.

P.S. I haven't had issues with my setup so far. I only have a couple dozen flights so far though.

Thanks again.

View attachment 68343 I found these on Standard-Tec.com. Anyone use them? Experiences? They are for the P1,2,3 so they can accept the P4 blades but the locks should work the same on the P4 I would think. They are also made from metal so they might not be as fragile as the stock plastics

Well I was quite attracted by the cutting edge technology Mul-T-Lock "security keyway" . Check this article for more features about this locks. http://protectionplus.ca/blog/hi-security-mul-t-lock/. Standards. Mul-T-Lock door locks go through rigorous testing to be awarded the highest security ratings including the coveted UL437 – pick and drill resistance. The UL – fire rated bolt. And conforming to a true ANSI GRADE 1 rating. A big box store lock is barely a grade 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan