MEMPHIS TN

I went on a baseball scholarship, majored in education, I wanted to coach on the college level. If I had it to over again and aviation was available, I'd definitely be a pilot today. Go for it, it's a great school.

I'm looking for other Phantom 3 pilots in the Memphis area.
Bill,
I just got a Phantom 3 STANDARD. Trying to learn all about it and thought working with a seasoned flyer would be nice. I live north of Wolfchase Mall in the Brunswick area. If you might be interested I can provide more contact information.
Thanks,
MagicRock

Hi MR
I graduated from High School with Bill. I too am wanting to hook up with him. I am sure he is a wealth of knowledge. I live in the Olive Branch area. I would love for all of us to hook up.

Jim Carroll

Hey guys, maybe we could meet at Shelby Farms, lots of good places to fly there. I Haven't flown much in the pact few months because of some knee surgery back in the summer. Maybe I can show you a few things I have learned over the past 1-1/2 years with my P3P.

Bill
Sounds good. The weather is pretty good right now. I am retired, thus I am available most week days and some Saturdays. You have my email. I propose we all hook up when MR is available.
Jim

Hey guys,
I'm retired as well so every day is Saturday. I'm still flying in 'beginner' mode but am adding parts as I see the need. Like a second battery from Best Buy. Also from Best Buy I got some clip on landing gear extensions and glued on some more plastic to extend the gear a bit more. My grass interferes with the gimbal so I needed the extra height. I just ordered a DJI Inspire 1 - Mobile Device Holder - Part 45 - $30. There is a you tube video on how to install this device on the controller. It is very substantial and has an aluminum base rather than plastic. Much better than that flimsy holder that came with the unit. I'm needing bladder surgery so may be out of commission for a few weeks so don't wait for me when planning an outing. Do let me know how things go though. captdc10splatgmail.com if you want it ('splat' = @ of course)
MagicRock

Hi MJ
I found that simply taking off and landing from anything flat works great. I have used something as simple as a door mat. Then I built a landing pad. It is a piece of plywood 4 X 4. I covered it with astro turf. I then painted a great big white X from corner to corner.

wow, that is a fancy landing pad. I doubt I'll be making one and surely not carrying it around. I just got in the mail my mobile device holder. It is a product from Inspire, part #45. Very much like a phantom product except this base is aluminum whereas the other one is plastic. I'll need to drill a hole in my RC for the mount to attach but there are a couple videos on youtube showing exactly how this is done. Not a problem at all. This mount will accommodate a phone or several sizes of ipads. Years ago I used to launch Estes rockets as a hobby. I got fairly creative with that hobby. Now I'm thinking about how to launch a rocket from this drone. Might need a separate circuit (battery, switch, etc) to ignite the rocket engine but the drone seems it should lift the extra weight nicely. I might get a piece of plywood like from the previous entry but use it for a target rather than a landing pad. I'll surely video everything from the drone and from the ground. Might be Spring before I get around to this due to upcoming surgery. Any ideas before then will be entertained.

Update: Got the new ipad/iPhone mount and installed it no problem. Like it lots! I've developed a rocket launch system and tested everything so am ready for a hot launch. Got some videos of the test flights but before I'd share them I'd want to show the actual 'hot' launch first. I'll be launching from the quad hovering about 10' high and aiming at an empty bird house about 5' high. Of course the quad will be videoing it, but I'll also have one other person videoing it from the side. I have two rockets which can be launched separately. Any bets on whether I hit the target which will be about 30 yards down range? I'm doing this in my back yard as I doubt Shelby Farms would approve of drone fired rockets.

Sounds interesting, I would like to see the videos when you finish.
Bill
Right now the video is all on YouTube. I will see if I can download it. The video was nothing more than a test run. I sent the link to two of my friends to watch live. One of them live in England. All I did was fly around my subdivision a bit. I will get it as soon as I can.
Jim

Well, I am still sort of confused. Tell me if I did this right please. When I signed into my account I had to give the flight a name. I called it DJI Test #1 Jim. Then in order for others to view it I had to either text them the link or email the link. Even if they did not tune in at that time it was there for them to watch later. I just flew around my subdivision as a test. I had to open my account on my computer first. Did I miss something?

Did you create an account in youtube. If not go to youtube and create an account and from there, i think, you can add your videos.

If you created an account, when someone opens Youtube, they can put in you account name and should be able to see all the videos you put on there

Well, I thought I'd have a video to add tonight. Glad to read on how to set up a you tube account anyway. Now, I do have a video but it is not pretty! I had a live launch today! I had the guidance lines hooked up to the bird house and to my quad with the rockets attached to follow them to the target (bird) house. All was stable in a hover, I backed up the craft to tighten the lines, still stable, so fired off the left rocket. It launched perfectly but initially pulled slightly to the right and of course pulled the line with it which turned the quad to the right as the line was attached to the left landing gear. The rocket continued on and it hit the bird house. The quad could not recover and spun two turns and crashed. No real damage...broke a prop and bent up my right rocket launch rail (coat hanger). All is repaired tonight ready for another launch tomorrow but without the guide lines. I'll still fire the rockets separately, and the only 'feel' the quad should experience is a slight CG shift which is less than a gentle crosswind during station keeping.

I was able to fire two rockets separately without the quad crashing. However NO guidance lines were attached. I think I may have a fix to the guide line problem. I'll test it when the weather allows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20