Me Too! Me Too! Crash

Reaction score
I finally crashed the P3P, I had been doing great, I was even thinking I might even get through the learning curve without a major crash. Well, gust, tree, tree trimming, 15' to the ground, branch by branch, thud.

No broken props, no broken landing gear, no cracked plastic. However I do have a broken ribbon cable and a broken yaw arm. Snapped the camera right off in fact. A few questions about the repair.

1. I pulled the rest of the camera off, checked everything carefully and gave it a quick flight test, nothing over 6' high. It seems to fly fine, it had trouble holding a low altitude for several seconds then it managed to figure it out. Auto-home worked. Side note, the arming procedure without a camera attached lifts the front of the quad off the ground just enough for the wind to get under it and flip it over. Anyway, my assumption is that if it got this far, the basic Quadcopter functionality is intact. True or false?

2. I'm thinking about replacing the Yaw Arm and cable with the kit from F-Stop Labs. My concern is what breaks next if you have a stronger Yaw Arm? Did DJI design that part to break for a reason?

3. There is no way to verify the camera still works without fixing it, when the P3 crashes and breaks this way is it common for there to be additional "hidden" damage?

Well, that is all for now - hopefully I can get this thing back in the air with a camera in the next week.

Wind wind wind, never fly in it period

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nothing wrong with flying in wind, just know your limitations .
That's how I practice flying in atti .
Sorry for your crash Pb and welcome to the forum .

Reactions: With The Birds
Agreed re flying in wind (within limitations).... you make your own wind speed on a still day.... just make sure you fly into it so you arent sweating with one eye on the battery level on your way home.

The trick is give yourself plenty of space when learning. Your garden pribably being the worst possible training ground.

Reactions: dirkclod
Had semi equal damage. There may be other components affected from crash that are not easily detected. Mine to did not hit that hard from low height, however the yaw arm sheared. When I spoke to DJi(CALI).I advised them that this was my error but this arm which did not hit anything sheared. They issued RMA with free shipping. They replaced entire gimball yaw assy,entire ribbon cable, a landing gear, antenna and another module. About two week turnaround time from GA to CAL for $159.00 Can't beat that. Attached is the invioce

Attachments

• hub044.jpg
    hub044.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member