Me, App and DJI

Reaction score
I recon it is a good time now to introduce myself to this forum. I've been closely monitoring the discussions here for a long long time. But today(actually yesterday since it's already past midnight) I received my own Phantom 2 VISION+ v3.0.

I'm from Croatia, and although we Croatians are a really proud nation I believe it's not only subjective when I say that Croatia is an extremely beautiful country. I've traveled in many other countries but I always realized that fact again and again when I have been returning back home. Here is just a short sample of photos made with a Phantom at my test ground(island Hvar):

I got into the RC world a bit through my uncle who had different machines which we flew together, like classic helis, then small quads like Blade Nano and (not so small) 350QX with GoPro(Lost due to a fly away) and finally Phantom 2 VISION+ that he bought when the 350QX went away. The Phantom was a real revelation for me since my background is in computer science, hacking and professionally in IT industry. I immediately noticed the ability to program the Phantom since it had an OpenWRT enabled WiFi module on the copter itself and on the extender. But not only that, I started analyzing(reverse engineering) the underlying protocol that the DJI VISION app uses to communicate to the Phantom. My plan was to make an crazy great app for it once I grasped the protocol completely. I've burned quite some time on that.
And then DJI announced the holy grail of all those efforts: Software Development Kit or SDK in short. WOW, now officially DJI opened the platform for practically anybody to take and do with it whatever one wants. To create the app I imagined was now so much more reachable. However I didn't immediately jump in the development using the SDK.
I had some other jobs that I was doing at that time(my freelancing day jobs) but once I sorted/completed few things I got the time to write the project proposal for DJI so that I can gain full SDK access. That is namely the requirement, if you want full access to Phantom functionality you have to describe in detail what you are planning to do. DJI might reject it or approve it.
I finished it and sent it to DJI, two days before Christmas. Not really hoping much and certainly I did not think that I would get any response, good or bad, before the New Year. Was I in for a surprise...

Christmas morning, I'm still lying lazy in my bed, at my parents house. When I hear my phone is ringing, some strange international number. I let it ring out because I thought it was some mistake or some phone spam. However a few seconds later I get a notification that there is a voice mail message left from that number. OK I thought that is unusual, I pressed the button to hear it out.... "Hi Ivan this is Fiona Liu from DJI..." Holy Macaroni !!! There was a lot of interference in the recording so I could not pick out everything but I realized they sent me an e-mail and they want to know when I will be available for a call. I immediately opened the e-mail up and started reading.... OMG!!!!! Holy F****!!! sweet mother of Jesus !!!! I get tears of joy just thinking about that moment now again!! Not only are they impressed by my project proposal and are giving me full SDK access, they want to send me a gift for Christmas, a Phantom 2 VISION+ !!!!! WAAAAAA I started jumping around the house....hahaha
I then called Fiona at DJI and continued screaming on the phone to her for a while longer. hahaha. So great!!! And the conversation we had then was as great or greater. Since it made me realize the support that DJI is willing to put into us developers and the overall friendliness, of what I thought till that time was just an unreachable big company. Superb experience! They even mentioned me in the news they posted on the developers site: http://dev.dji.com (My last name is Kovacevic)....
DJI YOU ARE THE BEST..... THANK YOU!!!!

I will definitely put the gift to a good use and will produce an app that will bring joy to all members and phantom owners here.
As for the app itself, I can't go into exact details but let me just say that I will try my best to be this forum's Santa Claus. I've been noticing every wish/feature that you all have been writing here on this or that occasion and I will try to include them in the app. But I also have more than few surprises that have not been mentioned here and that will be absolutely kick *** once finished.
The important thing is I would really like to go above and beyond to provide excellent support over the forum for this app. So stay tuned, a few more weeks are needed for the initial release.

Attachments

• Ivan-PhotoSamples.jpg
    Ivan-PhotoSamples.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,031
  • IVAN-GIFT-M.JPG
    IVAN-GIFT-M.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,019
Congrats, looking forward to your project!! And yes, a very beautiful country indeed!

Richard

Very cool and beautiful pictures of a beautiful country!

That's awesome

Ivan, welcome to the forum. That is great news & Wow what a gift! Should of told them you want a inspire :lol: just kidding. Really tell them that if they are pleased with your app that they should send a inspire to the 7th person that posted to your thread :D. Yes, you do have a beautiful country.

Welcome to the forum.
Remember the old statement, "Only in America." Well, this proves you can be anywhere. All you have to do is be highly intelligent and you can do anything....

Welcome to the forum
Wow I can't wait to see the outcome of your work
Being a computer tech myself I have wondered when someone was going to take advantage of the phantom's wireless at some point

From tech geek to another good luck
Beutiful pics man

Super job Ivan.

I've been to Croatia many times - we sail each May out of Pula, Dubrovnik or Split. My personal favourite is Cavtat - I holidayed there with my wife last August and had a most delightful time scuba diving.

Good luck with your new Vision+. Take the time to learn how to fly it!

One of the things I would love to see in your development is a point of interest feature where the craft can encircle an object with the camera looking at it all the time.

I look forward to seeing your products.

Connor

well done ivan really looking forward to what you have come up with. Lets just hope dji didnt sent you the v3 with dodgy esc'c!!

Wow Amazing!!! Who would of thought DJI actually took notice... they must of been INCREDIBLY impressed with what you gave them!!
Wouldn't be surprised if you are working for them soon :]

Can I ask a question... and feel free to PM me the answer or not even answer at all.. Now I don't expect (or want.. well I do when its finished) any information about what your app does... But when you told DJI about your app, Did you go into huge amounts of detail as to what it will do, how it will and all the technical aspects ? Possibly even send them a proof of concept ? Or was it more of a vague description of what your intentions were ??

I imagine DJI's inbox is now going to be filled with people trying to do what you've done lol... but yeah congrads :) You must of gone above and beyond to impress them, and to have them talk about you in the news article is a bonus!!

Wow! So many replies I basically went to sleep after I posted that post. Such a lovely surprise to see all the comments and such a nice words from all you guys! It means a lot to me! Thank you all!
I'm also delighted that some of you were actually in Croatia! It's really a great place to do some aerial photography. I even seen few Phantoms fly by that I knew were not from anyone local here (at the town Hvar on Hvar island). Once even what must have been a ground station flight since there is no way that route could be held from anywhere with a line of sight. Always cool to see!

Larry L said:
Ivan, welcome to the forum. That is great news & Wow what a gift! Should of told them you want a inspire :lol: just kidding. Really tell them that if they are pleased with your app that they should send a inspire to the 7th person that posted to your thread :D. Yes, you do have a beautiful country.

hahaha. Larry I'll definitely tell them! Inspires to everyone here! ;-)

happydays said:
One of the things I would love to see in your development is a point of interest feature where the craft can encircle an object with the camera looking at it all the time.
That's a hot feature I know. I'm working on it! :geek:

ELHEAPO said:
well done ivan really looking forward to what you have come up with. Lets just hope dji didnt sent you the v3 with dodgy esc'c!!
Thank you. I will open the shell soon and we will see. I believe the whole mess with ESCs will get sorted out soon. My thought on that is that there was only a series of unmarked ESCs which are in fact v2.0. Regardless of what I find in my Phantom it would not diminish the gift value at all and I know DJI's intentions were good.

justin00 said:
Can I ask a question... and feel free to PM me the answer or not even answer at all.. Now I don't expect (or want.. well I do when its finished) any information about what your app does... But when you told DJI about your app, Did you go into huge amounts of detail as to what it will do, how it will and all the technical aspects ? Possibly even send them a proof of concept ? Or was it more of a vague description of what your intentions were ??
I wrote an 18 pages document, containing also a lot of custom made graphics(by me) some as aid in descriptions and some purely for the looks. It took me around two weeks to complete! The descriptions inside are fairly detailed, however on a high level with regards to technicalities. Meaning that what I held up is only the programming details, algorithms and specific methodologies of implementing something which I gained from my previous experience as a developer. As for what the app does I can describe it with a sentence that I wrote in the proposal itself. It is a general purpose flying app, but on steroids! :D That doesn't really give it justice and to be honest I would love to blab every detail here about it. However I'm a solo developer trying to see this through, speaking about those features could make it really easy for the full fledged companies out there that are also trying to push their versions of apps out.

very nice & well done, don't forgot about use non-vision Phantoms ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik