MAYDAY - PHANTOM DOWN

Reaction score
I was out in a big field just down the road flying about 6 feet off the ground about 3 to 5 mph. All of sudden the Phantom dives down at 45* into the snow. It landed nose down at 45 degrees, softly on 12" to 16" of fresh snow. No damage at all on props or anything else. I went over and picked it up and noticed a weird smell, almost like cow poop.
I put everything in the car and came home. I started it up in the house and discovered one of the motors isn’t working. It tries to turn, but just bumps around and it still has that weird smell. That explains the nose dive.
Looks like I need a new motor.

Glad it happened near soft ground, and you didn't have to put your govt lost property sticker to the test :)

Why does everything happen to me? LOL :(

I think the motor was bad the first time I flew it because it seems to lag on that motor every time I lifted off, and I checked after each flight and it was always warmer than the other three.

Also, it made a weird whining noise, but it did that new, so I thought it was normal.

I think they owe me a motor. I got it from Amazon. Seller's name is Luckitron. Are you familiar with him?

BigSky said:
I think the motor was bad the first time I flew it because it seems to lag on that motor every time I lifted off, and I checked after each flight and it was always warmer than the other three. I think they owe me a motor. I got it from Amazon. Seller's name is Luckitron. Are you familiar with him?

Haven't heard of him, sorry. I've only dealt with Red Rock (?) and All-E-RC on Amazon (both are fine btw).

It's really interesting to hear about the motor. Are you going to disassemble it and see what's wrong with it? The windings may have come loose and started scraping against the bell housing, and finally lose power when they severed? If that's the case, the motor is almost definitely salvageable, you just need a bunch of thin-gauge enameled copper, some CA and a soldering gun.

None of my motors felt the same out of the box. Pretty disturbing for the price.
I have had to replace one so far due to my learning curve.
The motor that felt the worst is still chugging just fine. Just sucks there is nothing you can do to prevent it from falling from the sky.
I lost an ESC from a motor that still ran while 3 feet off the ground, I knew the motor was suspect just got lucky I wasn't 300 feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj