maybe not the place , but I'll ask anyhoo.....

Reaction score
Just got a used 550 Flamewheel . It has a wimpy 3300 35c battery ,4s. Anyone , preferably in the U.K. have a recommendation for a good battery with enough grunt for one of these ? I figured that some of the Phantom folks may have experience with these big hexes, as well , just as I am about to do . All suggestions appreciated!

Just got a used 550 Flamewheel . It has a wimpy 3300 35c battery ,4s. Anyone , preferably in the U.K. have a recommendation for a good battery with enough grunt for one of these ? I figured that some of the Phantom folks may have experience with these big hexes, as well , just as I am about to do . All suggestions appreciated!

Hey Dim, congrats on the F550. I just built mine this spring and it's a hoot to fly. I'm not in the UK, but can share my battery experience with you. For some good flight times, a Turnigy Multistar 8000 mAh 4s is a good fit. Depending on how low you allow the voltage to get, I have gotten 27 minutes of flight time out of this battery on my F550. Added FPV gear and still get twenty to twenty-three. These things are heavy as a brick, so be sure to mount it perpendicular to the front/rear so it will be well balanced. If it's off just a little to the front or rear, or mounted facing front or rear, you could get some heavy load on the front or rear motors, trying to keep it in level flight.

Oh, here's the link to my thread in the Other DJI Multirotors forum. It chronicles my build from ordering the kit to completion, as well as some of the roadblocks associated with assembly and accessories, and their solutions. Plenty of pics too. :cool:

Starting F550 Build and Have Questions

Hiya, Rebeleye!
Going to check out your build blog and hopefully avaoid the roadblocks. I have ordered 2 5000 mah 50c 4s packs. Thinking of mounting both with a parallell link. Not sure about the weight penalty of so doing, but if necessary ,will use the packs singly, as I don't think there will be any FPV or camera gear on there. Not for a while yet. Want to just play at flying a hex, I have my Phantoms for anything else. 3 of 'em , plus a CX 20. **** things are breeding in my den , I reckon.... Thanks for the tip ,and the inspiration. Now this hex has just jumped up the project priority list . Too many pies.....not enough fingers to put in 'em !!!

Cool Dim, you can never have too many drones. The weight of two 5000 mAh would significantly cut into your flight time. But running them as a single unit sounds great, then you would have one ready to go if you wanted to land and go again. BTW, just a side note, it's rebelyell, not rebeleye. But after being married for almost 50 years, I answer to almost anything. :eek::eek: :rolleyes:

'Morning, Reb!
I hear ya on that one ! Congrats on the nearly 50 years, think you might stick with her?;-) These ol' eyes are'nt wot they used to be , either that or my slightly less than stellar speed-reading skills have let me down . Again. Been looking into using a spare Hitec Eclipse Tx for this, but don't have the parts to hand to make the throttle stick centre-sprung. May try to dash to the "local" hobbyshop and try for them there, they do have some Hitec service parts, and I need some sundry other stuff as well . As if I need an excuse to take the Corvette for a run with the top down, it's going to be 87 degrees here today with big/strong T-storms scheduled for later. Both mega-unusual for this septic isle. It be a round trip of about 90 miles.Nothing much is being achieved here , there's a big glider, the F550, and a Hobbyking Tundra and a Volantex Ranger on the go , spread all around the place whilst SWMBO is in hospital . With an attention span such as mine, it's a recipe for ,well, lack of progress and/or disaster. On reflection ,reach for a cold beer and get busy on Hobbyking, Ebay etc. It's aaaallll waaaayyy too easy!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj