Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Maybe a stupid question but........

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by KEN2347, Jan 18, 2016.

1. KEN2347

Being a newbie with only 2 flights here is a scenario that has been going through my head and makes me nervous.Ok.......i'm flying my P3S totally relying on my visual via my Samsung Galaxy S5 through the Go app and I get a phone call.What happens???

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

You won't have this problem if you fly in airplane mode. The DJI GO app will continue to run if this happens though. As long as your remote controller doesn't shut off, all will be well. That's what you really use to fly your Phantom :)

3. LuvMyTJ

LuvMyTJ ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Put it in airplane mode. Problem solved. :D

GaDrone likes this.
  4. Dirty Bird

I fly & chat all the time. If you get a call the caller screen will pop up. Either answer (assuming you are on a Bluetooth for this course of action) or decline. The app will still be running & will reappear or bring it to the focus while you chat away.

5. KEN2347

Good to know but if I remember,which most likely I won't I will put in airplane mode.Thanks guys.........you made my paranoia go away.:D

6. Matthewd5

Maybe the bigger question is, how are you paying attention to your drone if your talking on your phone?

7. Scottfree

Walking and chewing gum is pretty easy once you get used to it.

8. SouthernPhantom

I leave my S5 phone turned on most of the time.

You can even disconnect the phone, reboot it, and reconnect with the GO App, all while your Phantom is in the air. This all works best, of course, if you're flying in fully-stable GPS mode with enough battery-charge.

BTW, you DO want your phone to be on when it first establishes the home point, so your Google Maps location will be correct (it gets this through the Internet). Then, for security, you can switch into airplane mode when you start ascending. But if you forget, you should be OK.

Some issues arise because the phone can get so busy with other apps, that it causes lag. That's why airplane mode seems better.

Optimally, I've found the best compromise to be with a Samsung tablet with few apps, and to keep its WiFi on, to connect with my S5's mobile hot spot -- for the Google Maps. Very smooth operation that way, with no visual lag.

#8 SouthernPhantom, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  9. Matthewd5

He says he's got two flights in...

Easy distractions aren't optimal for flying, especially in something under scrutiny as drones

Not talking on the phone is a valid suggestion

Matthew

SouthernPhantom likes this.
  10. SouthernPhantom

You are absolutely right, of course!

I think some are just saying, if something distracts the phone, the Phantom won't suddenly fall.

But as you imply, It's always best to pay 100% attention to anything that could potentially hurt people or property!

11. Scottfree

Forgive me if I misunderstood but I thought DirtyBird is the one that said he talks on the phone and I can promise you he has more than two flights. I personally have always put my iPad in airplane mode as I wouldn't want to talk on the phone, but I guarantee you I could talk on the phone and fly safely.

12. Dirty Bird

You can walk & chew gum right? Bluetooth. Just like talking to someone next to you minus the physical distraction. ;)

13. Tony Cowan

There is no way I am answering a call when I'm in flight. It an wait. It even says that in the safety manual. Not worth the risk imo

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

14. Alan Russel

Doing two things once..sounds like a recipe for disaster!

15. buford

Would seem a little like driving and texting, without the 2 ton hunk of metal. I'm with you, I'm not getting any calls I cant return later, like in 25 minutes.