Maxxuav boosted install, did I do it right?

Reaction score
Installed the new boosted setup on my Maxxantenna, I think I installed it right

Haven't given it a proper test yet, but plan to tonight

20160725_205927_zpsxjhruowx.jpg

20160725_205910_zpsqeickzhf.jpg

20160725_205905_zpssbkdsd94.jpg

I think something is wrong guys, I just did my normal distance flight and I lost video link before even reaching a mile, I've gone over 2 miles with full strength with just the antenna non boosted.

Also I compared the signal score from healthy drones and to be honest my antenna only config showed lower #'s.

Finally, only the left amp lights up blue, the right one is just white, anyone have any ideas?

thx

Do you lose rc signal or just video? I'm thinking a bad amp or cable to that amp. Battery for amps fully charged?

I lost just video link, went to nothing while my rc signal was still full. battery is fully charged, checked all cables and even swapped the amps and still only the left side blinks blue, the right side is solid white

Just spoke to Jacob and I guess I need a new amp, even though I swapped them I guess one is dependant on the other, I'll get a third one and send back the bad one.

Jacob at Maxxuav has gone beyond the service of duty when it comes to his business, very helpful and almost instant replies to emails.

WEll good news, its not my remote, I was worried maybe something internal, but just put the regular antenna (maxxantenna) with no boosters, went 7k feet and zero dropped bars and had many signal digit signal scores on healthy drone throughout my flight.

You're not alone, the exact same problem here - one white amp and one blue. Jake said it was a bad amp and is sending another but I haven't received it yet to test... Waiting patiently

That's unfortunate. I will put hold off on my order. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Zeprider (nice name, my dogs name was Zep) I wouldn't hold off, go ahead and order with confidence, Jakes a great guy and will be in constant communication with you.

Pete and I will get it straightened out.

Pete, which side on yours is white only? mine is the right side, left side flashes blue

I agree with fastfed go ahead and order.. The vast majority of people are not having any issues at all. Mine is the left one that's white, but it depends on how you did the RC mod internally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with fastfed go ahead and order.. The vast majority of people are not having any issues at all. Mine is the left one that's white, but it depends on how you did the RC mod internally

Did you try switching the amps from one side to the other to see if it follows the amp? Mine has the same issue but its not the amp...When I switch the amps it always stays white with the right side no matter what amp I have hooked up to it...Both amps were blue when I first got them until I hooked up these antennas (L-Com HG2409MGU-RSP 2.4 GHz 8.5dbi Omni Antenna)...Now right side is white no matter what antenna is hooked up...

Well, got the new amp, still, no matter what right side is white no matter what combination I do. Left side rapidly blinks blue, right side is solid white.

I honestly do not know why I had to buy a third amp to figure this out, when I had the 2 amps from the original kit, it was only the left side blinking blue and despite switching cables/power/and amp left side was the only one blinking blue..

I was told to buy a third amp and I'm still confused why, but I did and received it today, with the exact same results.

So what does this mean? the Maxxantenna cannot go boosted? I'm really lost

Chazz, so what did you do? you never responded with your solution..

So does this mean I will never be able to go boosted? Is this an antenna issue? controller issue?

Please note, with just the antenna non boosted, it rocks, I get awesome signal, even 3 miles out residential its pretty good at high alt. , perfect controller and video signal.

Put on the amps, perfect controller signal, lose video signal very quickly at like 3k feet

You're not alone, the exact same problem here - one white amp and one blue. Jake said it was a bad amp and is sending another but I haven't received it yet to test... Waiting patiently

Pete you get your amp yet? What antenna do you have..

I'm really lost at this point, but I think I just cannot go boosted with this antenna, for some reason.
who knows, but it simply doesn't work

No, not yet. I have the smaller dbs02 and the large Maxxrange panel

I have the large maxxrange panel.
Jake again, quick to respond wants me to send all 3 amps to him, so he can figure out the deal.

but this cannot be an amp issue, it makes no sense and no one can really explain it correctly

No matter what amp goes on the right side of the controller, it shows white, no blinking blue light.

See, now here comes all the misinformation , not saying you're wrong sammyh, but why would kits come with two, why do the pro's say you need two, why does almost every picture show 2 amps.

on both sides?

please explain a little in more detail, this makes no sense to me.

Are you saying I should be putting both amps in a series only on one side?

details, please!

thanks

Reactions: volace
See, now here comes all the misinformation , not saying you're wrong sammyh, but why would kits come with two, why do the pro's say you need two, why does almost every picture show 2 amps.

on both sides?

please explain a little in more detail, this makes no sense to me.

Are you saying I should be putting both amps in a series only on one side?

details, please!

thanks

That's a good question indeed!

I even ran 2 amps myself for a while... Before realizing I got better range (and more consistent signal quality) with only one. Definitely do not run amps in series! You'll fry at least one of them.

As to why those kits all ship with 2 boosters... I don't know. Profit making comes to mind... Since the amps are almost always sold at a decent markup compared to buying them yourself on Amazon/etc.

The biggest piece of evidence for me was testing with my rf meter (RF Explorer). When you connect it directly to the SMA connectors (on your modified controller of course) you'll see zero rf output on one connector, and the traditional FHSS (aka "control signal") on the other. Be careful testing like that by the way... And do it quickly so you don't fry the rf frontend in the controller.

I know these amps, at least the newer "gold style" ones, are supposedly "bi directional", but even if you're boosting the incoming video signal, you're also boosting the noise floor! And that's not really helpful.

Try it yourself... You'll need an rf meter to determine which connector is the Tx and which is the Rx first... Then open your Dji Go app, and look at the noise floor with and without the amp on the Rx side. Or, even better, do some waypoint/autopilot flights out to the edge of your range in your given area. Try a couple runs with 1 amp, and try a couple with both amps. Again, just be absolutely sure when running a single amp that it's on the Tx side, otherwise you'll definitely see worse performance with the single amp setup.

If other much more experienced RF experts would like to chime in, even to correct me, I very much welcome it. But until then, I have to trust my own testing/inference/experience. Sample size of 1 and all that... But in low rf interfence locales, I get several miles out with 100% signal.

Oh and I'm using both the latest revision FPVLR elliptical antennas (aka, "circular polarized") and the first gen ITElite panel. I get slightly better results with the FPVLR, but in every day use, they're similar enough to rarely be the difference maker in flight distance. Usually rf noise floor and good LoS are far more important.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply, but it still boggles me as you're the only one to say this or explain this.
but my uneducated brain when it comes to this stuff agrees, I mean the drone has to receive and send a signal, it would make sense only 1 side is for sending and the other is for receiving. I would to assume the one blinking blue is the TX side, and the solid white since its not sending anything is just white.

But all of this, people still say both sides should show working, flashing blue light.
and the owner wouldn't have me buy a third amp and go through all of this if he knew I only needed one.

Also, the markup actually is not bad, on his website his price is actually cheaper then what I saw on Amazon for the same gold amps.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31