Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. josephtarlecky

so i decided that my controller would be easier to manipulate if i mounted it on my tripod with gimbal on top. i'm a pro photographer so i already had the tripod in my arsenal. i took my first flight with it this morning and it's a dream to use. any tripod can be used and the manfrotto 393 gimbal is what i used and works well to accommodate the entire setup with the iPad air 2 as well.

Attached Files:

Lee SK, Zuzua, tonyt76 and 1 other person like this.
  2. SolarDude

Looks good.

I just ordered boosters to use with the same antenna you have. What kind of difference in range did you see after adding the boosters?

3. josephtarlecky

i went from going like 1 mile from my house to my last flight being 8 miles round trip the difference is tremendous!

4. SolarDude

Wow that's really encouraging to hear because with the same setup as you without boosters I get the same 1 mile range in the city from my back yard. With the larger DBS Maxx antenna I get about 1.25-1.35 miles with is better. I'm hoping I see something close to what your experiencing with the boosters installed.

Thanks for sharing.

5. tonyt76

How did you screw the gimbal into the the MaxxUav amp bracket?

6. josephtarlecky

that bracket that came with the gimbal was super glued to the bottom of the amp bracket with crazy glue gel!

7. Zuzua

This is a sweet setup. If I had seen this setup before I got the secraft RC tray, device holder and shoulder harness would have got this first. Don't get me wrong I love the setup I got, very comfortable.

8. josephtarlecky

Post a pic of your setup please

9. Zuzua

Will do by this weekend.

10. Zuzua

Here are the pix you asked for, let me know if you want close ups of the try and device holder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

11. Zuzua

Close-up of the tray and device holder
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. Zuzua

By the way sorry for the duplicates, I don't know what happened there

13. Zuzua

I installed the amps today. I put up pictures of the finished setup on "official p3 leader board" if you are interested

14. josephtarlecky

15. GadgetGuy

The tray has the major advantage of portability, so you can move around, instead of being stuck straddling a tripod trying to reach the controls. Instead of the awkward Hoodman extensions to black out the screen, just throw a thin black cloth over your head and the screen, like in the old days, so the photographer could compose and focus the image on the ground glass screen. :cool: Tarot makes a TL2876 tray for a fraction of the Secraft that works almost as well. The only annoyance is that it covers the transmitter lights, so I have to pull the transmitter out to check for a red or green control signal on the LED whenever I lose FPV.

#15 GadgetGuy, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Zuzua likes this.
  16. josephtarlecky

i'm a pro photographer and new to the drone scene hence the reason i had a tripod and gimbal laying around! (saved me 500 bucks to do this little project) i don't agree at all with the portability the drone moves why would i need to? i have 5 batteries and when i'm out flying one or two are always charging so some days i fly quite a bit. the tripod is fully adjustable so even if you're 3 feet tall you can still reach the controls!

#16 josephtarlecky, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  17. josephtarlecky

18. GadgetGuy

19. GadgetGuy

I, like you, also have expensive pro photography equipment like your gimbal and carbon fiber tripod lying around unused. I commend you for your ingenuity, and I like the idea, and it certainly has merit, especially for long distance flying with a GoPro string throttle control, so you can sit back comfortably, until you decide to take control to fine tune altitude, or turn around. With a tray, however, you have the same flexibility and support, with the benefit of being able to move away quickly from your launch point, as needed, to evade detection, or avoid confrontation, or just to move around an obstacle (tree, house, building) that is now obstructing your signal on a new direction you wish to continue to fly in from the same location, without first landing and moving your tripod gimbal setup. My P4 and P3P batteries last 30 minutes per flight, and when exploring 360°, there's almost always something in the way in at least one direction that I can manage to avoid by moving myself during the flight to improve signal.