Maximum wind to fly safely

Reaction score
Hi All,

What wind can the PH2 be safely flown in GPS mode for 1)Experienced pilot 2)Inexperienced pilot.
I know the official recommendation is 15 km/h.

thx

15 km/hr or 17 mph sustaind is about all it can take.. experience will teach you that any more and especially gusts and higher winds aloft will push it away and sometimes not recoverable. I about lost mine a few time. Gs flying I don't do if over 10.

Your Phantom can fly at more than 30 mph and handle stronger winds than most owners imagine.
Care is needed, of course but DJI were being very conservative in their recommendation.

The big thing to keep in mind is distance...and whether you are with or against wind... Lot of owners find they run out of battery trying to get the phantom home against wind :). I don't fly mine in much higher than 15 mph wind... But it really depends on your comfort level

I've flown mine in 25 MPH winds. I honestly just kept it within LOS and all was well. It handled the wind like a champ. Flick it into manual and watch the cold sweats begin!

Yes. But if you go any distance downwind, it's going to be slow coming back and for some bizarre reason DJI makes RTH slower than regular flying so you need to factor this in your planning.

If it is much over 15mph I find I have to use ATTI a lot more - which is a double edged sword of course because it can get blown away easier. The other thing is that if it is much over 10mph, there is a good chance that it is much higher 50m or 100m up, whereas when there is very little wind AGL there is often very little significant wind at 100m up. If I am flying where battery is important I will choose to fly at no more than 10mph AGL.

Might want to have a watch of the video

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYpB5SHbR_g[/youtube]

As mentioned previously, the Phantom can handle more wind than many owners realise.
Look at the spray behind the waves for an indication of the wind speed.
And how much sand those big waves are churning up.
It was 25+ knots and very gusty.
DJI00312a-L.jpg

I didn't think I would be able to fly that day but tried launching in a small sheltered area and gradually got braver when it was obvious that the Phantom was handling things easily.
I don't recommend a beginner tries this but think it's good to know the Phantom doesn't have to be only flown on calm sunny days and get a feeling for what it can do. Obviously you can't fly in conditions like this with prop guards.
As you can see I managed to get well up beyond the sheltered spot I started in.

I often fly during windy days... makes for great pictures. The phantom is awesome in the wind. If you are flying away... fly upwind. Also, when you handcatch in the wind, stand upwind from the phantom.

Attachments

• G0084955_1.jpg
    G0084955_1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 431

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20