Maximum weight

Reaction score
I am relatively new to this with a Phantom V.1.1.1 with stock self-tightening props. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the maximum weight that I can fly safely with...I know that DJI says 1,000 grams but it's my understanding that they might have upped that number. With everything that I want to add, my quad weighs in at 1,300.....any opinions on that number?

Shouldn't be a problem, I've seen a Phantom flying a DSLR before. It flew like a bag of hammers.... but it still flew. A good investment if you're unsure would be the props for the Phantom Vision. Also self tightening and provide better thrust, seemingly better than most (if not all) aftermarket props out right now. And they're dirt cheap ;)

Sokol said:
I am relatively new to this with a Phantom V.1.1.1 with stock self-tightening props. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on the maximum weight that I can fly safely with...I know that DJI says 1,000 grams but it's my understanding that they might have upped that number. With everything that I want to add, my quad weighs in at 1,300.....any opinions on that number?

HeliRy is right, P2 props are your best bet. Keep in mind with that weight and those props - you're going to have to master/practice slow decents. Those props create alot of prop wash and with that weight landings can get pretty tricky. You're going to have to monitor your battery levels closely too so it doesn't come down abruptly.

For the P1, 1300g is right about the number you want to stay at or below if you want to maintain usable flight times. I'll also endorse the suggestions above regarding the P2 props for squeezing out every second you can when flying heavy like that.

Thanks a lot, guys...I'm at 1300 and I took it up okay but it seemed that it took a lot of throttle to get it airborne and after that, it seemed to handle okay. I was mainly concerned with long term effects on the motors from lifting that weight. Just want to add that this forum is the greatest resource out there for Phantom owners and I would strongly urge new owners like myself to spend a lot of time here researching subjects...there is a TON of info and opinions available. Thanks again!!

Sokol said:
Thanks a lot, guys...I'm at 1300 and I took it up okay but it seemed that it took a lot of throttle to get it airborne and after that, it seemed to handle okay. I was mainly concerned with long term effects on the motors from lifting that weight.

Something else you might want to try (some say it doesn't matter) is bump your idle speed up a notch. Mine weighs in at about the same as yours and I did the "idle up" and it seems to lift off a little easier. Try it and see.

EMCSQUAR said:
Sokol said:
Thanks a lot, guys...I'm at 1300 and I took it up okay but it seemed that it took a lot of throttle to get it airborne and after that, it seemed to handle okay. I was mainly concerned with long term effects on the motors from lifting that weight.

Something else you might want to try (some say it doesn't matter) is bump your idle speed up a notch. Mine weighs in at about the same as yours and I did the "idle up" and it seems to lift off a little easier. Try it and see.

Thanks, I will !

As far as motors/ESC are concerned, 1300g is fine and DJI Documentation discusses 1350g as well on P2 configs.

DJI's recommendation on the 2212 motors is 300g/axis, so even the p2's recommended max takeoff weight exceeds that. You can use that to inform your decision on how much to carry :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl