Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Max take off weight

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by RickD, May 13, 2014.

1. RickD

My currently configured P2 weights 1350 grams on a postage scale. I have H3-2D, GP 3+B, FPV, iOSD, CAN-Bus & GS Datalink. The manual says max t/o weight =<1300 grams. Anyone have experience with this configuration & weight?

2. ElGuano

You're generally OK with 1350g, it's not uncommon. DJI does list 1300g as the max in the manual, but there's other official documentation that references different max weights. For example, 1350g if using prop guards: http://www.dji.com/info/releases/dji-re ... -phantom-2

3. sar104

1350 g is also the weight of the P2 with H3-3D, GoPro 3+, LightBridge air system, and all other extraneous components removed.

4. UrAwFuL

Didn't know prop guards is a no-no with all the equips added. Good to know! Was about to fly it like that when I get all my FPV stuff on.

5. RickD

Thanks all....is there a REAL max takeoff weight that P2 drivers should adhere to?

6. ElGuano

Like many things, it's a sliding scale. The p2 will take off with quite a bit of load, but there will be more wear on bearings and batteries with extra weight. The NAZA will maintain hover with >1500g and 9443s...but your flight times will be decreased and bearing life will drop significantly from the ~300hr target based on 1200g.

7. RickD

Thanks El guano, that makes a lot of sense.

8. mtpisgah

same set up here ! my p2 needs to diet. 1377 grams. lazy sob :mrgreen:
    i made her lipo suction at gopro by removing the internal battery, 26 grams less. over wt. p2 will ruin your main battery (swelling) and less flight time :ugeek:

9. sar104

How, exactly, will a heavier P2 damage the battery?

10. mtpisgah

not sure exactly how (ohm, watts, joules, volts). but, it happened to my main battery. i keep adding stuff one at the time on different days of flying until i max up accessories (no more room). also my flying are all the same routine. you can try it and may be im wrong. who cares of a $150 batt. :lol:

11. sar104

OK - but you may be conflating single instance correlation with causation. Certainly a heavy P2 will, all other things being equal, draw more current in flight and so have shorter flight times, but all other things are generally not equal. Elevation, weather, flying style etc. all have significant effects on flight time for the same reason, but do not usually result in damaged batteries. Overall motor bearing life has been reported to decrease for significantly heavy (>1500 g) P2s.

12. ElGuano

Reports are that the P2 battery is relatively low-C (likely 10-15C). Normally that's more than enough for any Phantom's capable motor output, but heavier loads can cause greater voltage sag, which may have contributed to a few people briefly hitting level-2 low voltage levels and inadvertently triggering auto-descend.