Max range straight line

Reaction score
Ok I can't be the only one to wonder just how far you can go in a straight line, and what happens when you push it... Well I found out, I've got a p3a, who else has gone further, ? Than 2.95 miles
I really didn't expect to get that far...
f6f33d6ee7ddfd84073981118922eab8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nice run Trickstar - looks like you picked a nice clean are to fly in also - good on you for that! I have a P3A but haven't tried any distant flights - straight line or otherwise.

How much battery life left - I don't see it on your screen shot.

Continued safe flying!

What the hell r u talking about Tricky!

Jus kiddin, nice going. U get a little "shakey"?

My max with a P3A is 2.32 miles. That would put me as 8th on the Flytrex P3A list.

There are some impressive flights, I was lucky to get back as had a tail wind on way back had about 6 min left, did get a little shaky on way out as it stopped a couple of times so put it a little higher that sorted signal out, then at the max nothing it just lost video and no connection, then I waited and the underwear was about to get a colour change when video popped up and she was coming home.... I've ordered some range extenders that I've got to wire in, will see how things go when I get them in, I'm hoping to get out to a gas rig off are coast that's about 3 miles out, need control once there so fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You couldnt push it that extra 0.05miles to get an even 3? Sheesh slacker!

Just kidding- that awesome. I havnt broke 1 mile yet. And these yahoos going 5-8 miles.... No way. I would have a heart attack!

But i do love following the posts of all the long distance flights!

I've gone 4.5 miles, feel I could have gone much farther but i wasn't sure I'd make it back so I turned around. As it turned out, I didn't make it back but luckily I had several landing spots picked out along the way and just set down (probably at 10% or so IIRC)

That flight was under IDEAL conditions. I flew almost directly out and back with a total flight of just about 8 miles. With stock batteries I don't see being able to make it much farther than 4 miles and still return home on a single battery. Now that I know my battery range (roughly 8 miles) I'm going to try for a max range flight. I know I won't make it back so I don't plan on trying. I'll have several friends at way points along the way for retrieval. Fortunately for me, I can do this flight and never leave my property (me or the drone) and have no risk of harm to others. No power lines, no WiFi signals, and no other physical obstructions (when I plan my route well)

I'll try to make a good post when I get it done!

You played it smart Hondo! Every one should plot out emergency spots to land in 1000' intervals when chasing distance. I do and i have to use them almost as much as i make it "home"

You played it smart Hondo! Every one should plot out emergency spots to land in 1000' intervals when chasing distance. I do and i have to use them almost as much as i make it "home"

Luckily I know this place better than most people know their back yards. I've spent my whole life covering this country on horses so I have a good feel for the lay of the land. The hardest part is being aware of the changes in altitude of the terrain. This is rough country and if I take off from the south side of the basin, sure, I can fly 6-8 miles to the other side, but if I'm looking to land somewhere in the middle, I have to know that where I'm planning to land isn't shadowed by a bluff that will make me loose signal. In the case of this flight, I knew there was a good stretch of land that was too rough to land (sagebrush and washouts) that I might likely end up in. I had gone out before hand and put down old plywood sheets "just in case." I actually made it past the last of these and was less than half a mile from launch point, but I was running pretty low on power and I knew it was the last good place to land until the top of the hill where I was. Way better to have a safe, controlled landing I figured. Like I said, the next clear day I can get my buddies over we're going to go all out and see what she'll actually do! Batteries will do about 8 miles, maybe the signal can come close to that! We'll see!

Are you guys doing it with stock antennas? Or do you have mods?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a stock bird. I somethings use a windsurfer. I got my max with a windsurfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a stock bird. I somethings use a windsurfer. I got my max with a windsurfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cousin worked for Boeing years ago building networks for the company. To check for stray wifi signals that may be escaping from the buildings her team made a parabolic antennas from a Pringles can and drove around the buildings scanning for any signals. She said the foil inside surface on the inside of the can did a great job of reflecting the signals. I wonder if the Pringles are still made the same way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl