Max Range and Max Height in calibration

Reaction score
I was extending my range now that I got enough practice. It used to be 100 feet high and 200 feet range.

I see that the default is 400 feet height and 5200 feet range. I wanted to set it at 1000 feet height and 2500 range, but it came back saying I should not go higher than 400 feet. Why is this? I am going to Colorado in the middle of no-where and I know there are no low flying aircraft (unless there is a forest fire).

Also, is the range really 5200 feet as long as there is no obstruction of the signal? I have a Phantom 2 v2.

Any reason why I should not make Max height 1000 feet or even 2000 feet? I would think if the range is 5000 feet, the height could easily be 2000 feet. I know it goes up faster than it comes down, etc...

Always check your local laws and regulations when it comes to flying your quad. And ofcoz FAA has a set of nationwide laws to govern how high you can fly!

I was extending my range now that I got enough practice. It used to be 100 feet high and 200 feet range.

I see that the default is 400 feet height and 5200 feet range. I wanted to set it at 1000 feet height and 2500 range, but it came back saying I should not go higher than 400 feet. Why is this? I am going to Colorado in the middle of no-where and I know there are no low flying aircraft (unless there is a forest fire).

Also, is the range really 5200 feet as long as there is no obstruction of the signal? I have a Phantom 2 v2.

Any reason why I should not make Max height 1000 feet or even 2000 feet? I would think if the range is 5000 feet, the height could easily be 2000 feet. I know it goes up faster than it comes down, etc...

There are no restriction on distance or altitude at present in the US. But until the FAA's proposed rules are passed by Congress (who knows when) and become law the FAA would like to see us all to stay under 400' and fly within 1500' line of sight.

Right now you can fly as high and as far as you like but don't come back here with a sad story that you had a flyaway or it fell from the sky for no reason whatsoever. There not flyaways but nothing more than pilot ERROR.

Last edited:
I am a new phantom owner so take this for what it's worth. I tried to fly higher than around 350' the other day and lost signal until I brought it back down some. It was pretty much right overhead so I'm thinking it was a bad angle for the antennas as clearly the phantom can go much further than that.

Also at that height, it's pretty tiny. I became a bit unnerved as it felt like it was getting out of my zone of visual control. If you think about it, 1000-2000 feet is over 1/4 mile. I don't know about your vision, but I couldn't easily pick out something the size of a phantom at that distance :)

I left mine at the 400 default. I went up about 350 today.

Holy crap that is high. Just takes getting used to I guess. No chance of seeing the lights at that distance and it's hard to just watch the screen.

Here's a video clip shot by young boy maybe in his early teens if that who flies a P2V+ better than most adults here. He has posted a few in photos & videos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4