Max orbit radius using DJI POI

Reaction score
I would like to orbit a POI with a 600 feet - 700 feet radius. Is this possible and what are the limits? Help greatly appreciated.

The only limits are your ability to maintain RC connection with the bird. You can manually fly an orbit around any POI at any elevation and radius distance you can fly. If you are asking about the limits of the IOC POI, I have used it at the distance you are asking about without any issue. Not sure about its programmable maximum (500 meters?), but it does also have a minimum safety radius of 5 or 10 meters, as I recall.

Thanks GadgetGuy, the radius around the POI I have calculated as 700 feet but the max distance to me the operator would be around 350 meters as I need to be away from the intended POI for LOS purposes. I guess this all falls within the acceptable limits.

Thanks GadgetGuy, the radius around the POI I have calculated as 700 feet but the max distance to me the operator would be around 350 meters as I need to be away from the intended POI for LOS purposes. I guess this all falls within the acceptable limits.
Indeed, it does! I regularly shoot POI shots around church spires or houses that are a mile away, LOS is the most critical part of the equation. Just monitor your flight around the POI on the map to see if you are maintaining a perfect circle. You can make as many orbits as you want to get it right, and just edit down to the one you like in post. If the lighting changes during the orbits, like after the sun has set, and the POI is lit from inside, or even externally, you can end up with some very different dramatic orbits, as the POI "pops" out of the background. I did some 20 orbits around a Mormon temple at dusk over 13 minutes, and the last ones were the best, due to the change in lighting.:cool:

Reactions: Skylark
Thanks, my subject is an elevated ancient settlement with ramparts, now somewhat overgrown but dramatic nonetheless. I may opt to fly it manually to check altitude but it's good to hear that it's all within limits. Thank you again.

You will probably also want to experiment with orbiting at different elevations and distances around the POI. Corkscrewing around your POI in an ever increasing spiral is another way to get different orbits.

I'm wondering if the simulator behavior is the same during actual flight, where you can apply the height and radius settings so the orbit begins and then if you pause it, you can manually stick fly for all control while it maintains an orbit path. There are times I can see that I might want to pause an orbit and from there take over on the sticks to do a semi circle, direction change, etc manually while it still orbits. Anyone ever try that? It works in the simulator but it depicts the bird being wobbly doing it.

You will probably also want to experiment with orbiting at different elevations and distances around the POI. Corkscrewing around your POI in an ever increasing spiral is another way to get different orbits.
Thanks. I will try this. Was going to do it today, a lovely fine and sunny one, but KPC index forecast at 7 and known high geomagnetic level has put paid to that. I might post my endeavours next week when we finally get fibre broadband installed...yay!

I'm wondering if the simulator behavior is the same during actual flight, where you can apply the height and radius settings so the orbit begins and then if you pause it, you can manually stick fly for all control while it maintains an orbit path. There are times I can see that I might want to pause an orbit and from there take over on the sticks to do a semi circle, direction change, etc manually while it still orbits. Anyone ever try that? It works in the simulator but it depicts the bird being wobbly doing it.
The bird will be wobbly while doing what you describe, but the gimbal will keep the camera stable. You have full control of the camera independently of the orbiting. You can have the camera face out instead of in. You can change the gimbal elevation. You can change the radius of the orbit in flight. You can change the elevation. Give it a try. Cancel the orbit and take over fully at any time by flipping the switch from F to P.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic