Max flight distance way less?

Reaction score
So I haven't really been paying attention to how far my P3P could fly before giving me the red warning "weak signal," I know last year, in November, I flew 10,000 feet without any trouble...

Fast forward to this weekend, on all the latest firmware...I was out about 5,000 feet...and I got the red "weak signal" - it was intermittent, but continuous until I returned to about 4000 feet away...normally I dont fly that far...but was trying for a particular shot and all I got was grief. (Note: I use the windsurfer antenna booster that I printed at the library...so same set up in November using windsurfer and this wknd using same windsurfer.)

This is a super long way of asking you folks if, with the latest fw updates, are people finding our max distance is shrinking w the P3P?

thanks

There are threads on this and other forums suggesting that the most recent FW did reduce power to the signal to/from your RC. On the DJI forum, DJI denies that the range has been reduced. Go there for long discussions on the matter. But ...

... flight distance can change even without FW upgrading. Flying in a different area with other conditions in respect to nearby obstacles, their height or how much metal they contain, or nearby radio transmissions all can affect the distance you can fly.

So I haven't really been paying attention to how far my P3P could fly before giving me the red warning "weak signal," I know last year, in November, I flew 10,000 feet without any trouble...

Fast forward to this weekend, on all the latest firmware...I was out about 5,000 feet...and I got the red "weak signal" - it was intermittent, but continuous until I returned to about 4000 feet away...normally I dont fly that far...but was trying for a particular shot and all I got was grief. (Note: I use the windsurfer antenna booster that I printed at the library...so same set up in November using windsurfer and this wknd using same windsurfer.)

This is a super long way of asking you folks if, with the latest fw updates, are people finding our max distance is shrinking w the P3P?

thanks

I have found no evidence whatsoever of the mythical 'shrinkage'. I have the latest firmware and app, and I get 18000'+ without windsurfers, in true LOS conditions out in the country side.

The one person on the DJI forums that claims to have measured it seems to have evidence that is rather dubious. Also, one user on Facebook made the same claim, but his methods were actually proven to be invalid.

I can get to around 4000ft before a weak signal warning, totally stock no mods, surroundings will play a big part, phone poles, electricity pylons and the lay of the land will all affect distance, my 4000ft is in areas like this....
Screenshot_2016-05-08-18-38-04.png

Reactions: Tricky
I can get to around 4000ft before a weak signal warning, totally stock no mods, surroundings will play a big part, phone poles, electricity pylons and the lay of the land will all affect distance, my 4000ft is in areas like this....View attachment 53119
That looks like the perfect place for a long range run.
Your antennae are positioned parallel, pointing upwards, with the flat sides facing towards the quad?

Yep antennas just as you described.

This is south Derbyshire, UK nice and flat yet half hour north you'll be in the the Derbyshire peak district......
2016-05-09-20-41-01--1675174529.jpeg

6800 feet tonight, clear line of sight, windsurfer on. flight area tonight is same place ive been flying for 8 months now.
I am here to say that there IS a change in range from last year. What that is, I don't know, but I am super disappointed.
6800 feet is precisely 1.2 miles.

Weak.

leaves on the trees now will shorten your distance vs November trees with no leaves

I flew 20k with my P3P with latest firmware, was flying off a hill and away from anything that could cause interference!

thanks
Despite what people are saying I too agree that after the latest firmware update my range has dropped by about a third. I do not have any electronic devices to back this up but its f@$%#ing TRUE. At least for me (and you). Really pissed about it!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik