Max altitude

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wanting to fly off the peak of a hill, the summit is 600 meters. Basically with the drone limited to 500m will it take off or be grounded? Not sure if t will factor in the ground level from take off or sea level. Please help as I don't want to travel all that way and not be able to use the drone.

The Phantom thinks the takeoff point is 0 meters. When you fly over the edge, it will not drop and/or think the ground has moved.

Reactions: Simmsy
It measures from the point you take off not your current altitude. So if the hill is 600m it will record 0m at take off if you fly down the hill it will show a negative altitude. 400' up from take off point.

The Phantom thinks the takeoff point is 0 meters. When you fly over the edge, it will not drop and/or think the ground has moved.
So am I right in thinking agl is the ground level from which you take off no matter how high, and not the sea level.
If this is that case, in theory won't you be able to climb an additional 500m from a takeoff point of 600m meanin u could (if stupid enough) climb to over 1000m?

So am I right in thinking agl is the ground level from which you take off no matter how high, and not the sea level.
If this is that case, in theory won't you be able to climb an additional 500m from a takeoff point of 600m meanin u could (if stupid enough) climb to over 1000m?

Yes that is correct if your at 600m currently you can fly an additional 500m up no problem cause it's measured 0m when took off

Correct. The Phantom does not use sea level.

So I understand the 500m limit, how does it work if I'm sitting on the edge of that cliff and I fly below take off point? Will I just get negative readings? (I just got my P3 yesterday and I am still trying to figure everything out, sorry if question has already been asked)

Yup, you'll get negative readings.

I've taken off from high points at the top of mountains, where you can see single-engine manned craft flying around below you, so you DO want to be careful.

Cool! Thanks for the fast reply! I'm still doing my tutorials and beginner flights, but I came across this and was curious!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The same question has been answered like 3 times. Let me ask one more serious question, if I place my Phantom on the edge of a cliff 600m high and accidentally or intentionally fall off such cliff while holding the RC, can it still take off and if so will it matter how far I've fallen or is ground level still gong to start from where Phantom is sitting? Oy vey

Reactions: Air Ontario
Accidental fall = feet first
Intentional fall = head first nose dive

Has it been mentioned in this thread that in addition to the +500m ceiling, there is also a -200m floor? (I believe this is correct, never had a need to test it though. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

The same question has been answered like 3 times. Let me ask one more serious question, if I place my Phantom on the edge of a cliff 600m high and accidentally or intentionally fall off such cliff while holding the RC, can it still take off and if so will it matter how far I've fallen or is ground level still gong to start from where Phantom is sitting? Oy vey
It depends if you launch the craft before you fall, of COURSE!

Reactions: CCDD
Accidental fall = feet first
Intentional fall = head first nose dive
No. Feet first takes in operator's body height plus extended arm.
Head first deducts operator's body length then adds back arm length alongside the body length.

Has it been mentioned in this thread that in addition to the +500m ceiling, there is also a -200m floor? (I believe this is correct, never had a need to test it though. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Good question?!?!?

Look, I'm sorry as I first stated, I am a newbie, I just downloaded this app and it was the first post I came across, I felt it was a good question to ask, no need to be an a$$, just ignore my question and move on!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic