Mavic vs Phantom 4

I will say the design of that iPad mount leaves something to be desired, it does block out the telemetry on the built in screen and for that reason alone I would not use it. I know Stacy Cobb is working on a design for mounting the iPad and as a business decision I think if it is well designed and built and priced right he will do well. It is all about choices...no harm no foul.

Reactions: kmaluo
Jesus. I think the guy is coming up with a solution for an issue lots of people have. They want their iPads!

I think this is a great idea!

Hiding the telemetry? The GoApp redundantly shows the same info as the remote from what I can tell... So who cares

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The iPad is bigger than the tx and the Mavic

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

All those haters, you know who you are, the Phantom 4 owners. Get over it, there seems to be no comparison to the benefits of owning the Phantom 4 over the new Mavic. I came to my senses, I had to sell and buy the new Mavic. I came to the realization that I was not shooting Major Motion Picture Films. No one will notice any difference in quality between the two. Get real, you're only trying to comfort yourselves by saying the Phantom 4 is worth transporting 4 times the size and 2 times the weight and 3 times the preparation for take-off (putting on the props). These types of posts are getting old and humorous seeing people justify their ownership of the Phantom 4 or Phantom 3. Just sell it and get the Mavic, already :-?

I like the fact you can have best of both worlds. Bigger Screen when you want and when not use the phone.
Kind of like a dual sport motorcycle..can do street, dirt and total off road :D.

All those haters, you know who you are, the Phantom 4 owners. Get over it, there seems to be no comparison to the benefits of owning the Phantom 4 over the new Mavic. I came to my senses, I had to sell and buy the new Mavic. I came to the realization that I was not shooting Major Motion Picture Films. No one will notice any difference in quality between the two. Get real, you're only trying to comfort yourselves by saying the Phantom 4 is worth transporting 4 times the size and 2 times the weight and 3 times the preparation for take-off (putting on the props). These types of posts are getting old and humorous seeing people justify their ownership of the Phantom 4 or Phantom 3. Just sell it and get the Mavic, already :-?

I would be more diplomatic, but ultimately agree with you. There are no extra features in Phantom 4 besides extra price. Wider FOV is great, but Mavic comes with more natural, human eyes FOV, so many would prefer it. It would depend on type of shoot.
Mavic, on the other hand, comes with much better wireless transmission protocol, ability to use goggles for FPV, better gimbal and few additional advanced pilots mods, compared to P4. Not to mention quieter, more maneuverable and shorter flight prep time. And, of course super small and very light. And this also concerns controller, which is finally discreet enough to not look like a super geek while piloting your drone.

Reactions: toddsworld
I started out with the P3P, then bought the P4. Told my wife I am keeping the P3P as a back up in case I lose the P4. Now I will probably buy the Mavic and keep the P3P and the P4, not sure what excuse I can giver her now for keeping all three except I like them all. Luckily I am retired with very few bills and can afford a few guilty pleasures in life.

I started out with the P3P, then bought the P4. Told my wife I am keeping the P3P as a back up in case I lose the P4. Now I will probably buy the Mavic and keep the P3P and the P4, not sure what excuse I can giver her now for keeping all three except I like them all. Luckily I am retired with very few bills and can afford a few guilty pleasures in life.
Lol, I have never owned a drone and never flew one. I guess it is time for me to buy a Mavic and learn. I will probably wait two to three weeks to see what others have to say after using their new Mavic. Let them be the guinea pigs lol.

Yup, seems like P4 owners are a little chagrined. But, the P4 is a very capable device, though admittedly surpassed by this new device.

Heres my take, the main selling point of mavic is it being compact. But u never really go anywhere with just the drone, there are extra batteries charger etc. When u pack those in around the phantom then whether it can fold or not only decreases overall size a little as the accessories take up space as well.so if u pack it well the 2 fully packed bags may end up being similar in size

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Exactly!
Whether you get the P4 or the Mavic, ur always gonna have extra stuff to carry around, like batteries, extra propellers, charger, controller etc.
We all know that there WILL be 3rd party companies coming out with new stuff you can shove into that little purse. Lol

Jesus. I think the guy is coming up with a solution for an issue lots of people have. They want their iPads!

I think this is a great idea!

Hiding the telemetry? The GoApp redundantly shows the same info as the remote from what I can tell... So who cares

A product very similar to this would put me into the market for a Mavic if my P4 was no longer. Again, my iPad Mini screen is the smallest screen I want to fly with due to my eyes. This video above is just one attempt of what I hope others come up with so larger pads can be used. I started out using my iPhone 6, but after going to an iPad Mini, I can't go back.

Reactions: WWK888
. Boom!!!

Very nice :)

Maybe make a mount for iPad Pro, so we can use it as a landing pad out in the wild as well? haha! :D

I will most likely use similar solution, as a phone can be a little bit to small for long time use. We'll see :)

Good job.

I have just deleted a number of posts in this thread. All members are obviously allowed to disagree and make their point in these forums. What is not allowed is bashing and disrespect. The members whose posts I've just deleted need to keep that in mind. This activity will not be tolerated here. Please show respect for your fellow members even if, especially if, you disagree. Again... personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Thanks...
-slinger

Heres my take, the main selling point of mavic is it being compact. But u never really go anywhere with just the drone, there are extra batteries charger etc. When u pack those in around the phantom then whether it can fold or not only decreases overall size a little as the accessories take up space as well.so if u pack it well the 2 fully packed bags may end up being similar in size

Sent from my SM-N9208 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yep, that's why I never personally believed in laptops and always took my full tower desktop and 20" monitor to classes. By the time you put your laptop, charger, mouse, extra battery and other accessories in backpack, the two fully packed bags may end up being similar in size. <\EOS>

The issue here is that every new DJI invention/drone hits the market costs >1000 $ and in a small time interval you are presented with a new and better DJI invention drone at the same cost or almost at the same cost.

As a result, the comparison is inevitable and the price diminishing of the older drone is a fact.

So either you buy each drone that hits the market or buy selectively and stop comparing your drone to a newer one which is a better technology and if has some bugs it will be resolved.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
This is an interesting but common and predictable phenomenon in today's tech world. A new model comes out, the fanboys jump on it and defend it vigorously (without any component of the user base actually having flown it) and declare it as rendering the previous version obsolete, based only on specs, and self-congratulatory accolades from the company's own promotional videos. And when the installed base (Phantom 4 users) explain that they don't feel the need to upgrade, they are derided as haters who are "chagrined" at being duped into an inferior technology. What I see are Phantom users who are puzzled at being labeled that way. There's nothing wrong with the Phantom. Those defending it aren't dismissing the Mavic, they just don't feel that compelling "tech-need" that drives people to have the latest and greatest.

I think the Mavic is cool...a great marketing move by DJI and a real advancement in drone technology. If it works. At this time, I see only it's size and form factor as any kind of real advantage and that's not something that I particularly care about. The Phantom and it's case fits fine on the front seat of my sports car. I don't need to have it fit in my pocket or hang from my belt. 4.1 mile range? That's cool. Of course...we only have DJI's word on that, and they also say that the Phantom 4 has a 3.1 mile range.

I have no doubt that my Phantom 4 is NOT my last drone. When it's time for me to upgrade in a year or two, I'll look at my needs and buy the model that meets those needs the best. Right now, there's no compelling reason for me to abandon my Phantom 4, and at least a few reasons NOT to - specifically the fact that it's not only a new model with new technology and software but it's an entirely new concept as well. I suspect that my feelings on that are widely shared.

I like the Mavic and the tech that it uses. It moves the whole paradigm forward for all of us. I'll probably get one at some point, but for now, I'm satisfied to let the.."enthusiasts"..do the beta testing for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20