Mavic vs P4P stability

This makes no sense...penetrating wind is almost all about simply how fast an aircraft can go...if both can go X miles per hour (and the MP and P4P are very close), then they will have the same success (or failure) flying into a given headwind.

That said, I'm open to other interpretations.

WRT wind fighting ability it's important to look at how each is being flown.

The MP in P mode with OA on has a top speed of 36 km/hr (19.4 Kts).
The P4P in P mode with OA on has a top speed of 50 km/hr (27 kts).

So a P4P flyer in a 15 kt wind won't feel too concerned, but a MP flyer will feel life to be slow ... depending on the pilot's skill and understanding of the modes, the MP pilot should be quick to disable OA (gets him to 58 km/hr (31.3 Kts)) or flip into Sport mode (which is what I do fighting winds).

This makes no sense...penetrating wind is almost all about simply how fast an aircraft can go...if both can go X miles per hour (and the MP and P4P are very close), then they will have the same success (or failure) flying into a given headwind.

That said, I'm open to other interpretations.

--

Bill

And the P4P is capable of much faster flight in every flight mode.

Missed a chance to fly both side by each yesterday, 15 knots, gusting to 30. I was just too damned tired to get out there and do it. Fatigue=inattention=negative cashflow.

Friday afternoon is looking good per Windy as forecasted

(Windytv takes some time to get set up right and understand really well - but it's a great tool).

Reactions: PhantomEvan
Just out of curiousity, which is more stable on your verdict? I'd hate to having spent 500 more dollars and it being less stable then a 1000 dollar drone. Also, did you calibrate the p4p? My p4p does not move around like that. It is stable as can be.

Offhand they were quite the same. I may be able to go out again today and set it up in a more "professional" manner. Forecast is for stronger winds and gusts.

I'm amused at all the P4P owners saying theirs are "more stable". In wind, gusts, turbulence, all aircraft are buffeted. From a C-152 to an A-380. To think a P4P magically overcomes such would require endochronic feedback.

Let them (and you) post videos in a good wind and then we'll discuss what's being seen.

Note that what the drone does and how ITS video looks are very different. While it can't react itself to upset, it can stabilize the camera quite well since the later is much lighter and the wide angle "tames" movement too.

I'm amused at all the P4P owners saying theirs are "more stable". In wind, gusts, turbulence, all aircraft are buffeted. From a C-152 to an A-380. To think a P4P magically overcomes such would require endochronic feedback.

Let them (and you) post videos in a good wind and then we'll discuss what's being seen.

Note that what the drone does and how ITS video looks are very different. While it can't react itself to upset, it can stabilize the camera quite well since the later is much lighter and the wide angle "tames" movement too.[/QUOTE]
I actually have a video of mine being much more stable then that if you want in 10 mph wind with roughly 15 mph gusts. I will post when I get home this afternoon.

Last edited:
A few notes from someone that also owns both...

The Mavic is more stable as an aircraft, period. It drifts less, it hunts for altitude less, it's flight is locked in and precise.

The Mavic, as an aircraft, has better wind handling in wind it's capable of handling (which isn't much more than 15mph). It drifts less and makes faster, smoother corrections for gusts.

The P4P, while not as graceful as an aircraft, can handle far higher wind speeds and gusts than the Mavic without negative impact on flight control.

But here's what actually matters...

As a camera platform, the P4P is far more stable, period. There are no conditions in which the Mavic is the more stable camera platform. While the Mavic can fly in a decent amount of wind, it can only take usable shots in wind <10mph. Gusty wind makes matters even worse as the gimbal is easily rocked around, knock into the frame, and likes to rock back and forth on its roll axis with the aircraft rather than counter to it. On the flip side, the P4P's gimbal yields usable shots in any amount of wind the aircraft is capable of flying in.

Reactions: sar104 and smiller

The Mavic is more stable as an aircraft, period. It drifts less, it hunts for altitude less, it's flight is locked in and precise.

The Mavic, as an aircraft, has better wind handling in wind it's capable of handling (which isn't much more than 15mph). It drifts less and makes faster, smoother corrections for gusts.

The P4P, while not as graceful as an aircraft, can handle far higher wind speeds and gusts than the Mavic without negative impact on flight control.

As a camera platform, the P4P is far more stable, period. There are no conditions in which the Mavic is the more stable camera platform. While the Mavic can fly in a decent amount of wind, it can only take usable shots in wind <10mph. Gusty wind makes matters even worse as the gimbal is easily rocked around, knock into the frame, and likes to rock back and forth on its roll axis with the aircraft rather than counter to it. On the flip side, the P4P's gimbal yields usable shots in any amount of wind the aircraft is capable of flying in.

That's basically consistent with my observations, but I have a P4 and a Mavic, so I'm not sure how much better the P4P might be.

That may be the case. But from my video, they appear to be the same stable after a recent imu, but then again that is just my observation.

That's basically consistent with my observations, but I have a P4 and a Mavic, so I'm not sure how much better the P4P might be.
Then again they are probably close to the same stable, but the phantom four pro movement is just so much more noticeable, because of the size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20