Mavic vs P4 on photo quality

In this screenshot it looks like you can make the green square for Focus or Exposure AF/EXP or could it be AF/MF ?

a9393973_11_mavicfocus_1.jpg

Could the lower image quality on the Mavic have to do with how light is refracting off the "dome" over the whole camera and gimbal assembly?? Making it appear a bit hazy?
No.
Why not? I think it's entirely possible that some early footage was shot with the dome over the camera. Many of these early adopters were given nothing more than the Mavic and controller; there were little to no guidelines on its use. All manners of possibilities are ... possible.

If the bad focus was to blame for the soft images we are seeing, it's strange that 4k "actual" footage from Dji's youtube promos are just as soft as those bouncing around blogs and vlogs.
View attachment 66153

Youtube compresses everything. You need to see the actual-actual footage from the SD card of the Mavic.

Youtube compresses everything. You need to see the actual-actual footage from the SD card of the Mavic.
It does, but not to this extent. 4K from a P4 or typhoon H does not look anything like this. this looks like it shot on a potato.

It does, but not to this extent. 4K from a P4 or typhoon H does not look anything like this. this looks like it shot on a potato.
I guess you haven't seen the new videos. The ones where they actually focused the camera properly. They looked excellent and are as good or better than the P4.

I guess you haven't seen the new videos. The ones where they actually focused the camera properly. They looked excellent and are as good or better than the P4.
I have seen some on reviews since, but not when I posted that screen grab, dji still have that video as their main promo on their youtube channel .... why is dji's own video is brutal, are there good and bad batches of cameras ? i wonder what the answer is.

this looks like it shot on a potato.

Loving how this thread sputters rhetorically back to life every few days with people comparing the Mavic video to various vegetables!I'm impressed and have placed my order from Heliguy in the UK.

Watch out for this guy on Youtube - Epic Drone World who has put the word Mavic in his 4K video titles just, it seems to get views when they are in fact taken with different drones.

I like the longer 28mm lens instead of 20mm on my P3P. I use P3P mainly for photographing and with the the 20mm you get more perspective-distorsion which I don't like.
With perspective-distorsion I mean that the closer objects are often unnaturally greater then the further objects.
With the 28mm to get the same area you have to be further away (then with a 20mm lens) which reduces the perspective-distortion.

I've always thought my Phantom 4's FOV was too wide for most of the shots I take. For me, the longer lens of the Mavic is a big plus, all else being equal.

I've always thought my Phantom 4's FOV was too wide for most of the shots I take. For me, the longer lens of the Mavic is a big plus, all else being equal.

And don't forget the tripod mode which make precise composition a lot easier.
Higher resolution panoramics.
The Mavic will be my new workhorse.

And don't forget the tripod mode which make precise composition a lot easier.
Higher resolution panoramics.
The Mavic will be my new workhorse.

Not to mention that new camera is rated at F/2.2 vs F/2.8 on P4. This is a big jump in light sensitivity too, resulting in camera using lower shutter speed/ISO to make same photos, potentially improving image sharpness/reducing noise.

Not to mention that new camera is rated at F/2.2 vs F/2.8 on P4. This is a big jump in light sensitivity too, resulting in camera using lower shutter speed/ISO to make same photos, potentially improving image sharpness/reducing noise.

The move from f/2.8 to f/2.2 does not come without penalties such as increased chromatic aberration and other lens distortions especially away from the centre. Of course, these can be corrected - and are, in very high end lenses - but then it'll have to be heavier and more expensive. Only a detailed comparison between these two will shed more, er, light.

The move from f/2.8 to f/2.2 does not come without penalties such as increased chromatic aberration and other lens distortions especially away from the centre. Of course, these can be corrected - and are, in very high end lenses - but then it'll have to be heavier and more expensive. Only a detailed comparison between these two will shed more, er, light.

Agree. Can't wait for the detailed analysis. But overall I'd take F/2.2 (or better yet F/1.8) over F/2.8 any day of the week. Maximum aperture is a constant for given lens and no amount of post-processing can substitute for it.

Agree. Can't wait for the detailed analysis. But overall I'd take F/2.2 (or better yet F/1.8) over F/2.8 any day of the week. Maximum aperture is a constant for given lens and no amount of post-processing can substitute for it.

I hear you, but my preferences are different. What I want from the drone camera is a relatively flat field across the frame (the P4 satisfies this) and a good depth of field. Unless you are very close to the subject, f/2.8 on the P4 has very good depth of field. For the kind of photography I want out of the drone, a faster (than f/2.8) lens would not add much if it meant increased CA, lack of flat field.

My ideal drone camera for the Phantom or Mavic line for the next year or two is a sensor of at least 21MP and a zoom lens (20mm-50mm full-frame equivalent would do for a start).

I hear you, but my preferences are different. What I want from the drone camera is a relatively flat field across the frame (the P4 satisfies this) and a good depth of field. Unless you are very close to the subject, f/2.8 on the P4 has very good depth of field. For the kind of photography I want out of the drone, a faster (than f/2.8) lens would not add much if it meant increased CA, lack of flat field.

My ideal drone camera for the Phantom or Mavic line for the next year or two is a sensor of at least 21MP and a zoom lens (20mm-50mm full-frame equivalent would do for a start).
Photoshop and Lightroom has done sofar a decent job in removing lens distorsion and chromatic aberrations.
And in a few weeks after the release of the Mavic they will update their software for this particular lens/sensor.

Sounds like you're more interested in an Inspire, actually. There are rumors of the I2 being announced before EOY, who knows if it'll fulfill your MP requirement, but the I1 already supports zoom.

Sounds like you're more interested in an Inspire, actually. There are rumors of the I2 being announced before EOY, who knows if it'll fulfill your MP requirement, but the I1 already supports zoom.

But the Inspire is not as portable and not as handy as the P4 to set up and launch in the field.

But the Inspire is not as portable and not as handy as the P4 to set up and launch in the field.
You're correct about that. But you're asking a lot for something that's portable. While we have definitely come a long way over the technology route, optics still need space. 21MP with zoom is just a tough sell for something as compact as a Mavic; maybe even a Phantom.

But also, MP isn't everything. Amusingly, the Phantom 2 (3 years old now!) was 14 MP and the P4 is 12 - which one produces the better picture?

Granted, all it takes is one jump in technology to open up these doors, I just have a hard time seeing smaller consumer drones behind those doors in the foreseeable future.

I want a higher MP sensor for several reasons, one of them being the headroom it provides for a crop.

The technology currently exists to put in what I suggested above in the same package. Most likely - and this is a guess - DJI made a business decision and wanted to keep their offering below a certain price point.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20