Mavic vs P4 on photo quality

More comparison videos are coming out...

Unfortunately the Mavic appears inadequate for wide field shooting, as in aerial photogrammetry.

It seems that the focus and the definition are only "dedicated" to the main subject in the center of the picture and there is a substantial loss in quality of everything else all around...

Am I wrong ?

P4 is really still the top consumer solution for aerial photogrammetry ?

More comparison videos are coming out...

Unfortunately the Mavic appears inadequate for wide field shooting, as in aerial photogrammetry.

It seems that the focus and the definition are only "dedicated" to the main subject in the center of the picture and there is a substantial loss in quality of everything else all around...

Am I wrong ?

P4 is really still the top consumer solution for aerial photogrammetry ?

It will be interesting to see the performance of the Mavic lens at the corners. Your hunch is probably correct: the f/2.2 and a slightly longer focal length in the Mavic camera points to a lens that is optimized for performance in the central portion of the frame than the relatively flat field of the P4 camera.

the phantom 4 has slightly better colors but the biggest advantage is the wider view. All in all not much worse, pretty much only noticable in comparisions. The p4 will also be able to handle wind better, but probaly not by too much because the computer in the mavic can adjust better(newer tech(read:cpu) highly likely)With the advantages of size and 1080p and less lag on the stream, the mavic is in my book a clear winner over the p4, but not by much either.

In my opinion the difference is huge.

screen-shot-2016-09-29-at-12-57-44-pm%E2%9C%A8-png.66013

Now he posted this one to justify it as an user error... but its a pretty small subject... not a bridge with background... I think that the "open field" put in crisis the Mavic...

CtiKpV1XEAAH_AY.jpg large.jpg

CtiKpV1XEAAH_AY.jpg

Check bladestrike videos on RCG, it looks good.
Apparently the Mavic ships with AF on by default, focuses wrong at take off and the whole video always looks blurry. Once you set it to fixed focus or manually reset the AF it looks exactly like the P4, minus the field of view (which I like better on the P4)

I also noticed the Mavic has a bit of jello in the image from time to time, while the P4 never ever does. I guess grommet size vs prop size and stuff like that? Or maybe gimbal tuning stuff.

bladestrike's raw mavic video with proper focus:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/DJI_0005.mp4

Apparently the Mavic ships with AF on by default, focuses wrong at take off and the whole video always looks blurry. Once you set it to fixed focus or manually reset the AF it looks exactly like the P4, minus the field of view (which I like better on the P4)
I wonder how the focus could behave in a flight mission with waypoints and timed shots every 3 seconds...

In my opinion the difference is huge.

screen-shot-2016-09-29-at-12-57-44-pm%E2%9C%A8-png.66013

Now he posted this one to justify it as an user error... but its a pretty small subject... not a bridge with background... I think that the "open field" put in crisis the Mavic...

View attachment 66018
CtiKpV1XEAAH_AY.jpg
Not sure what you are saying, but the bottom images are identical. I.e. It is the same image.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I like the longer 28mm lens instead of 20mm on my P3P. I use P3P mainly for photographing and with the the 20mm you get more perspective-distorsion which I don't like.
With perspective-distorsion I mean that the closer objects are often unnaturally greater then the further objects.
With the 28mm to get the same area you have to be further away (then with a 20mm lens) which reduces the perspective-distortion.

Really hope this thing doesn't suck or that I don't have to keep tapping the screen to focus.

difference in quality

I had a look at these in Lightroom. I compared the JPEGS of the P4 and Mavic and did not like the image quality of the Mavic.

The Mavic pro is on the right and seems to have worse dynamic range than the P4. For example, look at the sky, clouds and also the wood grain on the building. Also, the P4 seems to do a better job of rendering the foliage on the trees in the background. The way the Mavic has dealt with the trees makes them look waxy - a bit like the earlier Fuji X-Trans sensor criticisms.

Screenshot 2016-09-30 10.12.48.png

I'd like to see a lot more side by side comparison galleries before taking the plunge...

I had a look at these in Lightroom. I compared the JPEGS of the P4 and Mavic and did not like the image quality of the Mavic.

The Mavic pro is on the right and seems to have worse dynamic range than the P4. For example, look at the sky, clouds and also the wood grain on the building. Also, the P4 seems to do a better job of rendering the foliage on the trees in the background. The way the Mavic has dealt with the trees makes them look waxy - a bit like the earlier Fuji X-Trans sensor criticisms.

View attachment 66073

I'd like to see a lot more side by side comparison galleries before taking the plunge...
If you would've looked at the raw photos as I did, you might have found the only difference is the exposure and color temperature.

Sooo much hate on the mavic on this forum, and each and every blow against it is just a misunderstanding of it.

The rcgroups thread on the mavic has progressed about 3 days more worth of knowledge than this forum.

If you would've looked at the raw photos as I did, you might have found the only difference is the exposure and color temperature.

Sooo much hate on the mavic on this forum, and each and every blow against it is just a misunderstanding of it.

The rcgroups thread on the mavic has progressed about 3 days more worth of knowledge than this forum.

Can you post the DNG-files of these images? Looking at these JPG's is telling me nothing!

Its not so much about hate as about reality. The first day of the announcement it was all about over-exaggerated love for the Mavic. Reality is about to set in. They are 2 different machines with different pros and cons. LIKE if you AGREE!

Its not so much about hate as about reality. The first day of the announcement it was all about over-exaggerated love for the Mavic. Reality is about to set in. They are 2 different machines with different pros and cons. LIKE if you AGREE!
Lol. Typical refusal/denial because of not having the best and latest anymore. You know, when the Mavic gets an upgrade in 8-12 months, I wont be telling myself all kinds of crap just to feel better. I'll be out in the field having a good time with my not so cutting edge drone, like many Phantom 4 owners.
It's the folks who bought the P4 just to "stay ahead of the curve" that can't deal with being this obsoleted way sooner than they thought that behave like you do.

There is nothing for the P4 except the extra 7km/h top speed.

Reactions: joebar.rc
I do not yet possess any drone. I have to choose what to buy between P4 and Mavic.

I love Mavic but I got serious doubts about its performance on photogrammetric works, unlike the Phantom that is a proven machine for this type of use.

I do not yet possess any drone. I have to choose what to buy between P4 and Mavic.

I love Mavic but I got serious doubts about its performance on photogrammetric works, unlike the Phantom that is a proven machine for this type of use.

From what we can see already, I'm sure it will do fine. Besides most like myself coming from a P4 don't mind a slight lost in image quality for the portability and form factor with similar advanced features as the P4. And Obviously, judging by the beginning price point, you can't expect it to be superior to the P4. There will be some sacrifices rather it be in performance or optical quality.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Since the portability is not an issue for me... based on what I've seen so far... I'm oriented to buy a P4 at a low discount price... maybe a new P5 is gonna released on the market soon but the price will be not so low like the P4 in this period...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31